Which college should I choose for bio nat sci Watch

bagelwilliams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey, I’m applying for biological natural sciences in September and have no idea which college(s) I should be looking at. I’m particularly interested in genetics and evolutionary biology. I’m wondering which colleges have a good reputation for biology - or is this not something I should be basing my decision on? I haven’t visited many colleges - only Kings, Peterhouse and Clare, and liked them all equally. I’m hoping that the upcoming open days will help to clear things up a bit too!
threeportdrift
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bagelwilliams)
Hey, I’m applying for biological natural sciences in September and have no idea which college(s) I should be looking at. I’m particularly interested in genetics and evolutionary biology. I’m wondering which colleges have a good reputation for biology - or is this not something I should be basing my decision on? I haven’t visited many colleges - only Kings, Peterhouse and Clare, and liked them all equally. I’m hoping that the upcoming open days will help to clear things up a bit too!
That's not a logical question - it's like asking 'which street should i live in if I want to shop in Tesco?'. Some Colleges are nearer lectures, some are further, but some are nearer other facilities that might be important to you, like boathouses, sports grounds, the centre of town, the ADC etc.

Streets differ - different buildings, different gardens, different locations in town - Colleges the same. But just like living in a street doesn't mean you are better or worse off shopping in Tescos, College choice has nothing to do with which subject you study.
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think the open days will help immensely. As already explained all the colleges that do biological sciences will be good. You need to work out what sort of college atmosphere will suit you. Going to visit is a great way to pick up the vibe of a college. Do some research starting with TSR Cambridge College pros and cons. Things to consider price of accommodation and cost of living varies a lot between colleges. Whether you want to be in halls for all three years. Do you want a college with formals every night. Proportion of private to state school pupils. Single sex college? Rich college important to you. So many variables but have a lovely time working it out!
(Original post by bagelwilliams)
TunaPal
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As stated above, colleges aren’t different massively when it comes to subjects. You get certain supervisors at certain colleges, but because you can’t know what they’re like before you meet them, it’s not a particularly logical factor to base your college decision on.

That been said, as a Trinity Bio NatSci, I can recommend Trin as I’ve loved my supervisor for Evolution and Behaviour this year, and although I won’t be continuing with Evolutionary Biology, he’s seriously made me consider it just to keep him haha. Emmanuel is also very close to the Downing site, where you’ll have most of your lectures, so you can get a few extra minutes in bed lol.

I’d just visit the open days and choose the college that feels right to you, or worst comes to the worst, flip a coin to decide
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
One of the Peterhouse's second year rooms is Charles Darwin's old room (the building was subsequently bought by Peterhouse).
Last edited by Peterhouse Admissions; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.55%
No I am happy with my course choice (379)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.33%

Watched Threads