Personal statement Watch

flowergirl17
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
How to make your personal statement stand out and what to include?
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by flowergirl17)
There are quite a few threads about this on TSR so it is worth having a look. In general, your personal statement should:
- demonstrate your interest for your subject: why do you want to study it and how have you pursued this interest, e.g. related volunteering/work experience, wider reading, related study
- demonstrate why a university should choose YOU - what makes you stand out from other applicants? In particular, academic achievements or achievements outside of school, positions of responsibility, other notable prizes

Keep your personal statement concise and to the point. Don't waffle! After you have written a draft, you could ask a teacher to look over it or use the private Personal Statement forum on TSR where someone will review it for you (do not post publicly online!)
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
TSR have a whole guide to writing a personal statement. But just briefly why do you want to study that subject, what piqued your interest initially, what fascinates you about it.
flowergirl17
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for the advice and I am new to the student room so I have no idea what the TSR is
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
There are quite a few threads about this on TSR so it is worth having a look. In general, your personal statement should:
- demonstrate your interest for your subject: why do you want to study it and how have you pursued this interest, e.g. related volunteering/work experience, wider reading, related study
- demonstrate why a university should choose YOU - what makes you stand out from other applicants? In particular, academic achievements or achievements outside of school, positions of responsibility, other notable prizes

Keep your personal statement concise and to the point. Don't waffle! After you have written a draft, you could ask a teacher to look over it or use the private Personal Statement forum on TSR where someone will review it for you (do not post publicly online!)
flowergirl17
Rep:
?
Thank you!
(Original post by Scotney)
TSR have a whole guide to writing a personal statement. But just briefly why do you want to study that subject, what piqued your interest initially, what fascinates you about it.
cheesecakelove
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much for the advice and I am new to the student room so I have no idea what the TSR is
TSR = The Student Room

You can search past threads by using the search bar which you may find useful!
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
TSR stands for the student room! So sweet but we have all been here! Just type TSR personal statement into search bar and that should get you there. Just to add once you have written your statement NEVER post it on here. But I am sure you know this.
Well welcome to TSR and do not hesitate to ask for more help if you need it!
flowergirl17
Rep:
?
Thank you so much x.
travelcollegeguy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just remember flowergirl17 don't post your personal statement because if you do then you will have to rewrite it again. A personal statement should be unique to you and why the university should choose you, i found it difficult to begin with but once you get started and into the flow it is not too bad
flowergirl17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by travelcollegeguy)
Just remember flowergirl17 don't post your personal statement because if you do then you will have to rewrite it again. A personal statement should be unique to you and why the university should choose you, i found it difficult to begin with but once you get started and into the flow it is not too bad
Yes it is quite difficult to fit in everything on your personal statement but I am getting used to it. Thank you!
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What unis you thinking of. One idea is just to free flow write about why subject not worrying about content or word count then refine it. Do not turn it into a list of achievements and extra curriculars. Only include things that offer skills that feed into your subject in some way. Or show how you would be a good asset to uni.
Yes it is quite difficult to fit in everything on your personal statement but I am getting used to it. Thank you!
anisarahman0121
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
why you chose the course, what skills you have that go well with the course like essay writing or communication, give examples, mention each subject you do and relate it to the course your into, it's nice if you have any relevant work experiences you can talk about. Also say what you like to do in your free time etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.93%
No I am happy with my course choice (402)
57.02%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (101)
14.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed