mslcrux
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Recently I've been worried about my choice of A-level computer science and think I will drop it before I start sixth form, and my other choices are biology/chemistry/geography. I always planned on at least starting with four, but honestly don't know what to 'fill the gap' with (and I don't want to do maths!), so I thought of doing Environmental science just cause it would 'fit' with my other choices and be relatively easy. But I would literally be doing it for the sake of a 4th choice, so should I do an EPQ instead? I don't know a lot about them, and I don't like the idea very much, but would this look better than environmental science A-level (supposing I were to get good grades in both)?
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I mean there's no need to do 4 and I would definitely not do 4 just for the sake of it. Itd be pointless stress for something you obviously don't care much about. Do the three you care about and do well in them rather than spreading extra stress over an unneeded a level.

As for EPQ it's a very independent qualification worth half an a level and you basically pick a topic, choose a title, research and write/make a product for it, and fill in a log book. It's quite a bit of effort but I didn't feel like it affected my a levels too much. I found it helpful in filling out my personal statement and interviews, I got some skills from it, and it meant I got lowered offers from some universities however some people hate dit and didn't get much out of it. I'm not really sure what else I can say but if you want to ask anymore questions about it I'll happily try to answer!
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't recommend taking an EPQ (and I got an A* on mine).

You can do anything in your spare time and write about it in your PS if you want to do an EPQ for PS.
scorpionfish17
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I never saw the point in taking one really. It hasn’t affected any of my offers or made me any worse off. The people I knew who did one seemed to grow very bored very quickly and it just became an added stress!
mslcrux
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks for the replies. I'm honestly not interested in doing one, but I was wondering then if it would be a better idea to take a fourth choice to AS? Or A-level if I could handle it? Or maybe that's totally pointless idk...
AspiringmedicSP
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on what course you would like to study at university and if they would lower their offer if you had an EPQ, I do chemistry, biology and geography and my offer was lowered from A*AA to AAA if I got an A in the EPQ. If your uni's aren't bothered though, there's not much point as your time would be better spent concentrating on your three subjects.
AspiringmedicSP
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would definitely recommend doing an EPQ over an AS as they literally mean nothing in the current system!
(Original post by mslcrux)
Thanks for the replies. I'm honestly not interested in doing one, but I was wondering then if it would be a better idea to take a fourth choice to AS? Or A-level if I could handle it? Or maybe that's totally pointless idk...
username4839238
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We looked at 7 Uni's. None were interested in EPQs. You are better off doing well in 3 A Levels and not doing extra 'stuff'. If you aren't likely to do well in A Levels, EPQ might be an option.
Holly.AB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd recommend doing an EPQ as I really enjoyed my topic (criminology/biology/sociology) so it didn't seem like too hard work in order to get an A*, it wasn't overly time consuming and it helped for PS and interviews, also my offer to study medicine was lowered from AAA to AAB (universities are starting to recognise them more) so overall I think its much easier than studying another alevel or AS (and if it doesn't go well/you quit half way through, you never have to mention you've done it)
anshrahsaqib
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what universities are accepting AAB?
(Original post by Holly.AB)
I'd recommend doing an EPQ as I really enjoyed my topic (criminology/biology/sociology) so it didn't seem like too hard work in order to get an A*, it wasn't overly time consuming and it helped for PS and interviews, also my offer to study medicine was lowered from AAA to AAB (universities are starting to recognise them more) so overall I think its much easier than studying another alevel or AS (and if it doesn't go well/you quit half way through, you never have to mention you've done it)
Holly.AB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anshrahsaqib)
what universities are accepting AAB?
Sheffield uni as long as you get an A/A* in your epq, may be others for med but I'm not sure
amirskykatz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mslcrux)
Recently I've been worried about my choice of A-level computer science and think I will drop it before I start sixth form, and my other choices are biology/chemistry/geography. I always planned on at least starting with four, but honestly don't know what to 'fill the gap' with (and I don't want to do maths!), so I thought of doing Environmental science just cause it would 'fit' with my other choices and be relatively easy. But I would literally be doing it for the sake of a 4th choice, so should I do an EPQ instead? I don't know a lot about them, and I don't like the idea very much, but would this look better than environmental science A-level (supposing I were to get good grades in both)?
What you should consider:
-Does the course you're applying require EPQ?
-If no, will it take precious revision time?

Because if you are deciding to drop computer science you will have more time, however, chemistry and geography will require some special time and because EPQ only starts at the middle of the year 1 you will have some time to organize yourself and see if there's spare time for it.
I think you should go with the four a levels at the beginning but if you feel that computer science is too much work at the beginning, then drop it, but I think is a good idea to see how it is first before you regret it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.54%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (544)
48.53%

Watched Threads