Oxbridge postgraduate application Watch

Student21x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,
I’m not sure if my module grades are high enough for Oxbridge. The courses I’m interested in specify a 2.i or above as a minimum academic requirement. But I think most applicants will have a first these days due to grade inflation and there being more graduates than any time in history. According to the course website, 140 people applied for my course and only 40 were offered a place. I think all 40 of these people would have got a first. So, my point is that I think the 2.i is not realistic entry requirement and that I’m a bit worried about applying. What grades did you have when you applied for a postgraduate course at Oxbridge?
Last edited by Student21x; 1 month ago
threeportdrift
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Student21x)
Hello,
I’m not sure if my module grades are high enough for Oxbridge. The courses I’m interested in specify a 2.i or above as a minimum academic requirement. But I think most applicants will have a first these days due to grade inflation and there being more graduates than any time in history. According to the course website, 140 people applied for my course and only 40 were offered a place. I think all 40 of these people would have got a first. So, my point is that I think the 2.i is not realistic entry requirement and that I’m a bit worried about applying. What grades did you have when you applied for a postgraduate course at Oxbridge?
Plenty of people with 2.1s will get an offer and plenty of people with 1sts won't. The differentiating features are largely the strength of the research proposal, but also references, module relevance and grades, writing sample, strength of undergrad course etc
Student21x
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Plenty of people with 2.1s will get an offer and plenty of people with 1sts won't. The differentiating features are largely the strength of the research proposal, but also references, module relevance and grades, writing sample, strength of undergrad course etc
Most postgraduate courses request a CV. Would this be an academic CV, two pages in length? Should I highlight and elaborate my strongest grades under the education section, or does the transcript already do this?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most postgraduate courses request a CV. Would this be an academic CV, two pages in length? Should I highlight and elaborate my strongest grades under the education section, or does the transcript already do this?
I don't really ascribe to any special category of 'academic CV'. A CV should always be tailored to what is is being written for. If you have research projects, posters, conferences books, papers etc to list, then your CV will probably be 2 pages long. But you can just as well make a strong application CV and fit it one one page while explaining your undergrad research etc
Student21x
Rep:
?
I don't really ascribe to any special category of 'academic CV'. A CV should always be tailored to what is is being written for. If you have research projects, posters, conferences books, papers etc to list, then your CV will probably be 2 pages long. But you can just as well make a strong application CV and fit it one one page while explaining your undergrad research etc
My undergrad grades are terrible.

These are all my undergrad grades so far

For first and second year... do I stand a chance?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It doesn't work like that. See my first post.
Student21x
Rep:
?
It doesn't work like that. See my first post.
I want to apply to 10 taught postgrad courses at Cambridge and around 5 at oxford.
I will end up paying around £700 in application fees overall.
Do admissions allow so many applications to be made?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I want to apply to 10 taught postgrad courses at Cambridge and around 5 at oxford.
I will end up paying around £700 in application fees overall.
Do admissions allow so many applications to be made?
Yes, but they won't take you seriously!

Postgrad is supposed to reflect a narrowing of academic focus, not a lottery entry. I know Cambridge for certain will view it as a glory-hunting approach by someone who is more interested in getting into Cambridge that a serious commitment to academia. They are only interested in the latter type of applicant.
Wwys
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Those grades are very similar to what I got in 1st and 2nd year haha
I think you do stand a chance. I applied to an Oxford PG course accepting ~20 students with ~75 applicants per year, so the odds were similar.
What I've heard from the admissions and my cohort once I got in is that they focus more on your CV, especially your references. Also, admissions will accept more students than what they say according to the website, so if you're good enough, they'll accept you.

My undergrad grades are terrible.

These are all my undergrad grades so far

For first and second year... do I stand a chance?
Antspitfire333
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Congrats, may I ask what course was this? Would you say this was the same for all the post grad courses at Oxford?
(Original post by Wwys)
Those grades are very similar to what I got in 1st and 2nd year haha
I think you do stand a chance. I applied to an Oxford PG course accepting ~20 students with ~75 applicants per year, so the odds were similar.
What I've heard from the admissions and my cohort once I got in is that they focus more on your CV, especially your references. Also, admissions will accept more students than what they say according to the website, so if you're good enough, they'll accept you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads