The Student Room Group

Having major second thoughts about apprenticeships and uni

For the longest time I've thought that an apprenticeship would be the right way forward after A-Levels, although now I'm having major second thoughts and I'm seriously considering applying to Uni via clearing, I haven't even bothered applying to any uni at this point. The current plan is that I will pursue a 4-year software development degree apprenticeship in Bristol, although I am unsure if this is what I want to do anymore.

Basically, I have three options that I have given some minor details about below;

Option 1 Bristol

4 (6) year, Level 6 Software Development Degree Apprenticeship in Bristol

Pros

Will get a degree by the end of it

Professional work and experience

£14 thousand per year, rising by a maximum of £4 thousand per year

Cons

At least 4 years long, 6 years without incurring financial penalties.

Dropping out will cost a lot of money.

Will likely have to house share, otherwise commuting every day.

Bristol is quite far, unfamiliar.

Unsure if I’d enjoy it. Would it be fun?

All living costs paid for by myself and/or family.

Option 2 Bridgend

Single year, Level 4 Software Higher Apprenticeship in Bridgend

Pros

Single year.

Familiar surroundings in Bridgend

Will be able to get help with living costs, will be with a friend.

Living costs will be lower than those in Bristol.

£15,000 pound for the year

Cons

They haven’t exactly been clear on the progress of my application

Unsure about some major details of the course.

Only a level 4 qualification, although only a year.

Option 3 Swansea University

Software Engineering (or other course) at Swansea Uni via Clearing

Pros

The most freedom and enjoyable out of all available options.

There won’t be any issues regarding accommodation etc.

Cons

Student loan, will I still be able to get one, the debt etc.

Unsure about which degree and degree path I’d like to take.

Questionable whether I would even be able to get into Swansea University.

Would have to get/continue a role in a part-time/seasonal job.

Swansea University would be my firm choice, however, since I haven't even applied for any universities this year, I am unsure about whether I would be eligible for a place at all, but I have checked their website and I should be.

Obviously there are a lot of factors for me to consider over the next few weeks, so I would appreciate any advice that could be given to me.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
i'd recommend going with what your gut tells you to do. personally i'd try the one year apprenticeship but if it doesn't work out, apply for university the following year.
Do the first one it's the best long-term option
Where did you read the stuff about financial penalties on degree apprenticeships? It would be worth getting in touch with the college/university to query those.

Degree-apprenticeship schemes are already paid-for through substantial sums of UK Govt funding (and you certainly don't need to pay anything back to the Government for it), so by imposing any kinds of financial penalties it sounds like they're breaking the terms of that funding. Whichever college or university is supporting that apprenticeship should be taking some action to prevent them from doing this, because that kind of thing generally isn't allowed for government-funded training schemes.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by winterscoming
Where did you read the stuff about financial penalties on degree apprenticeships? It would be worth getting in touch with the college/university to query those.

Degree-apprenticeship schemes are already paid-for through substantial sums of UK Govt funding (and you certainly don't need to pay anything back to the Government for it), so by imposing any kinds of financial penalties it sounds like they're breaking the terms of that funding. Whichever college or university is supporting that apprenticeship should be taking some action to prevent them from doing this, because that kind of thing generally isn't allowed for government-funded training schemes.

The scheme comes with a levy that requires you to pay a maximum of £6,000 if you drop out;

> If your employment comes to an end for whatever reason during the four-year scheme or up to 6 months after, 100% of the non-levy shortfall paid for your course and examination fees incurred at your leaving date will be repayable.
> If your employment comes to an end within 6 to 12 months of the scheme completion date, 75% of the non-levy, shortfall paid for your course and examination fees incurred at your leaving date will be repayable.
> If your employment comes to an end within 12 to 18 months of the scheme completion date, 50% of the non –levy shortfall paid for your course and examination fees incurred at your leaving date will be repayable.
> If your employment comes to and end within 18 to 24 months from the completion date, 25% of the non-levy shortfall paid for your course and examination fees incurred at your leaving date will be repayable.
> The only exception to this is if your role was affected by redundancy, in which no reclamation would be made.

This can run up to a maximum of 5 years and, whilst £6,000 may not seem too much in the grand scheme of things, it is not something that I can afford in the short term.

My biggest concern is whether option 1 will be enjoyable. It is the most obvious and sensible choice, but I will be working full time, and I don't particularly think I'm ready for that.
Original post by rjlj123
The scheme comes with a levy that requires you to pay a maximum of £6,000 if you drop out;

> If your employment comes to an end for whatever reason during the four-year scheme or up to 6 months after, 100% of the non-levy shortfall paid for your course and examination fees incurred at your leaving date will be repayable.
> If your employment comes to an end within 6 to 12 months of the scheme completion date, 75% of the non-levy, shortfall paid for your course and examination fees incurred at your leaving date will be repayable.
> If your employment comes to an end within 12 to 18 months of the scheme completion date, 50% of the non –levy shortfall paid for your course and examination fees incurred at your leaving date will be repayable.
> If your employment comes to and end within 18 to 24 months from the completion date, 25% of the non-levy shortfall paid for your course and examination fees incurred at your leaving date will be repayable.
> The only exception to this is if your role was affected by redundancy, in which no reclamation would be made.

This can run up to a maximum of 5 years and, whilst £6,000 may not seem too much in the grand scheme of things, it is not something that I can afford in the short term.

Tagging @National Apprenticeship Service / @National Apprenticeships Service -- any Ideas on this? I'm pretty sure that's not allowed for a degree apprenticeship, bur might be missing something? I found this which seems pretty clear though:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/786465/apprenticeship_funding_rules_for_training_providers_August_2018_to_July_2019_version_2.pdf

P63. To use funds in the employer’s digital account or government-employer co-investment, the individual must:
P63.4. Not be asked to contribute financially to the cost of training, on-programme or end-point assessment. This includes both where the individual has completed the programme successfully and has left the programme early. Costs include any co-investment or additional training and assessment costs, above the funding band, that the employer has paid directly to the main provider where this is part of the agreed apprenticeship
Original post by rjlj123

My biggest concern is whether option 1 will be enjoyable. It is the most obvious and sensible choice, but I will be working full time, and I don't particularly think I'm ready for that.

On this note, I think that's going to be a matter of finding out more about it - but if you apply for it and get to the interview then you'll have the opportunity to learn more about the job and their expectations, what the workload is typically like, and ask any other questions about things you're unsure of.

Employers should expect you to learn quite a lot reasonably quickly, but they're not going to risk throwing you into any projects with tight deadlines in the first few months at least because they'll know that you're going to need plenty of time and space to reach a point where you'll be able to cope with that, and you'd normally be working in a team of people where everyone has collective responsibility for getting work done, so it's unlikely that you'd ever just be left alone with anything that's actually important like a customer project.

Normally the degree-apprenticeship wouldn't quite be the same as full-time employment since there's generally 4 days per-week at the employer and 1 day per-week in lessons, but obviously from a point of view of how many hours you'd be doing per week it's always going to be more intense than university.

Not that studying for a degree at university is "easy" -- you have fewer contact hours but still work to do in your own time, and one of the upsides (in my opinion) of working full-time is that you get to 5.30pm at work every day and then you can just walk away and switch off from work without needing to worry about it until 9am the next morning, no need to worry about having to do any work at weekends, etc. Sometimes studying can be a little bit all-encompassing and harder to switch off if you're under a mountain of coursework; although you get nice long breaks as well and a generally more relaxed lifestyle most of the year except around exam times and near big coursework deadlines. Both options can be tough/intense in their own different ways.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Tagging @National Apprenticeship Service / @National Apprenticeships Service -- any Ideas on this? I'm pretty sure that's not allowed for a degree apprenticeship, bur might be missing something? I found this which seems pretty clear though:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/786465/apprenticeship_funding_rules_for_training_providers_August_2018_to_July_2019_version_2.pdf

The penalty is imposed only when dropping out, again to quote the Apprentice Funding Agreement directly;

"should the company be required to top up any shortfall between the levy funding and the actual costs of the qualification, then we reserve the right to claim back our contribution, (currently capped at a maximum of £6,000), if the apprentice leaves our employment as below."

On this note, I think that's going to be a matter of finding out more about it - but if you apply for it and get to the interview then you'll have the opportunity to learn more about the job and their expectations, what the workload is typically like, and ask any other questions about things you're unsure of.

Employers should expect you to learn quite a lot reasonably quickly, but they're not going to risk throwing you into any projects with tight deadlines in the first few months at least because they'll know that you're going to need plenty of time and space to reach a point where you'll be able to cope with that, and you'd normally be working in a team of people where everyone has collective responsibility for getting work done, so it's unlikely that you'd ever just be left alone with anything that's actually important like a customer project.

Normally the degree-apprenticeship wouldn't quite be the same as full-time employment since there's generally 4 days per-week at the employer and 1 day per-week in lessons, but obviously from a point of view of how many hours you'd be doing per week it's always going to be more intense than university.

Not that studying for a degree at university is "easy" -- you have fewer contact hours but still work to do in your own time, and one of the upsides (in my opinion) of working full-time is that you get to 5.30pm at work every day and then you can just walk away and switch off from work without needing to worry about it until 9am the next morning, no need to worry about having to do any work at weekends, etc. Sometimes studying can be a little bit all-encompassing and harder to switch off if you're under a mountain of coursework; although you get nice long breaks as well and a generally more relaxed lifestyle most of the year except around exam times and near big coursework deadlines. Both options can be tough/intense in their own different ways.

I think it's also worth mentioning that I am quite far through the application process for both the apprenticeships, especially option one. Option one itself is with MBDA, who specialize in weaponized missile systems. This is another concern I have, I think that working there would be very intense given the nature of the work. The other is with CGI, and they haven't been very clear about the application process at all. I had an interview with Makers Academy (the people who run the HNC course) at the start of May, and all I've had since then is that my application is being processed and that they apologise for the delay.

I've emailed Swansea uni as they have already started advertising clearing places, so I guess I'll see what happens.
Original post by rjlj123
The penalty is imposed only when dropping out, again to quote the Apprentice Funding Agreement directly;

"should the company be required to top up any shortfall between the levy funding and the actual costs of the qualification, then we reserve the right to claim back our contribution, (currently capped at a maximum of £6,000), if the apprentice leaves our employment as below."

But this is the company's own agreement document? The government funding rules seem to state that they can't claim any money back off you for training costs even if you do drop out, so I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to do this regardless of what they might put in that agreement, but I'm not a lawyer so I can't say for sure.

That's why It's worth talking to the National Apprenticeship service because they'll be able to give you a definite answer. They wouldn't be the first company to have been in the wrong about apprenticeship repayment clauses, there have been other threads on here in the past about other companies doing things like this with apprenticeships too. (Not that they've necessarily done it on purpose, it could be that they didn't bother looking into the rules).

Original post by rjlj123

I think it's also worth mentioning that I am quite far through the application process for both the apprenticeships, especially option one. Option one itself is with MBDA, who specialize in weaponized missile systems. This is another concern I have, I think that working there would be very intense given the nature of the work. The other is with CGI, and they haven't been very clear about the application process at all. I had an interview with Makers Academy (the people who run the HNC course) at the start of May, and all I've had since then is that my application is being processed and that they apologise for the delay.

I've emailed Swansea uni as they have already started advertising clearing places, so I guess I'll see what happens.

In terms of intensity of the work (I guess you're worried about being under pressure to get things done?), the industry you're in or the type of systems you're working on aren't really much of an indicator to go by.

Pressure mostly tends to exist when things go wrong, so it's usually due to bad management or bad practices, which can happen anywhere unfortunately. It's pretty much pot-luck regardless of the size or type of the company. All you can really do is hope you'll be working with people who are good at what they do and the company will be managed by competent people.
You can can try to find them on Glassdoor.co.uk as well, but as is always the case with reviews for anything online, they can be easily faked or heavily-biased (e.g. disgruntled former-employees with an axe to grind) so glassdoor isn't always trustworthy. However, you might get some ideas about whether people generally like the management/CEO, and whether they feel like they're always being stretched too far or made to deal with impossible deadlines.

Although things can always go wrong in any job, but even when there's an urgent deadline or something that needs fixing urgently, I would imagine most of the pressure is likely to be felt by senior and experienced people who probably have more responsibility and are better able to cope with it.

It sounds like it's worth chasing up the other company to get some idea about what's happening to your application over there if you haven't done already. Good luck with all the applications in any case! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending