(Pointless Happy Ramble) Watch

Ashfire45
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just wanted to share with you guys that I've finished the last exam for my Open University course, and there's a very strong chance that I've passed and am now heading to University of Strathclyde. This has been the most immensely important journey for me, and I just want to type to share with SOMEONE that I'm so, so so so bloody happy. I'm currently 25 years old, so a mature student I'd say!

I left school at 16, and sort of tumbled into pursuing Social Sciences because 'what else can I do'. As a young person, I had the most crippling self-doubt, and I told myself that I was too stupid to succeed, too stupid to lose weight, definitely too stupid to drive and I'd never get a job.

And sure enough, I left my HNC with a C - but I was just happy to complete it, because I had no faith I'd cope at university anyway! I completed the HNC, and had no further direction, so I just let my problems get the best of me and became a lifeless hermit - and gained a considerable amount of weight (210 pounds on a 5'5" frame, ohhh mama!)

Then, I met someone in my life who was a guardian angel, and someone I respected so much (and for a change in my life, respected me, no matter what ignorance I acted on or spoke in), and convinced me to get back into education.

To cut a long story short, I lost 58 pounds, got my driving license (after five attempts, lmao), got a little part-time job, and have now finished my Diploma of Higher Education in Psychology. I've been offered a place at University of Strathclyde, which is INCREDIBLE given I haven't got any GCSE's in mathematics!

This happened very gradually over these three and a half years; I had stumbles and set backs, but this last exam closes a chapter in my life. Now, I'm going to university, and breaking free from being a self-doubting hermit.

I'm just... so so so so happy, and grateful to the Open University for giving me hope.
Aly Lim
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Congrats
Schadenfreude65
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Awesome. Congratulations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish

Yes (128)
60.66%
No (83)
39.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise