Issues with poorly written halls contracts and nightmare flat mates

Watch
MonstrousColonel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Sorry if this isn’t the right place to post, but I can’t think where else to put it.

So I started at uni in October living in on-campus halls. Unfortunately one of my flat mates is an absolute nightmare - enjoys an almost ridiculous number of parties (i go out a lot, but i don’t have parties in the kitchen until 6am with none of my flatmates invited), banging on doors and walls, being generally verbally abusive to the rest of us, and, worst of all, repeatedly smearing his own feces around the walls and toilet in the bathroom. He frequently breaks toilets but mainly just smears his mess all over them. We’ve made multiple complaints about him but it seems there are no behavioural stipulations in the accommodation contract and the uni has not helped us at all. They won’t even clean the shared bathroom (that they are supposed to clean) if it’s too gross (kind of understandable but also not) unless both bathrooms (shared between 8 of us) have been broken for more than a week.

I’m wondering if anyone knows about laws surrounding this, including with the students union, and if there’s any way I can convince the uni to change it’s policies for future students
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by MonstrousColonel)
Sorry if this isn’t the right place to post, but I can’t think where else to put it.

So I started at uni in October living in on-campus halls. Unfortunately one of my flat mates is an absolute nightmare - enjoys an almost ridiculous number of parties (i go out a lot, but i don’t have parties in the kitchen until 6am with none of my flatmates invited), banging on doors and walls, being generally verbally abusive to the rest of us, and, worst of all, repeatedly smearing his own feces around the walls and toilet in the bathroom. He frequently breaks toilets but mainly just smears his mess all over them. We’ve made multiple complaints about him but it seems there are no behavioural stipulations in the accommodation contract and the uni has not helped us at all. They won’t even clean the shared bathroom (that they are supposed to clean) if it’s too gross (kind of understandable but also not) unless both bathrooms (shared between 8 of us) have been broken for more than a week.

I’m wondering if anyone knows about laws surrounding this, including with the students union, and if there’s any way I can convince the uni to change it’s policies for future students
Legally there's not much you can do about it in contracts, I m surprised they didn't try to kick them out though.
MonstrousColonel
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
Legally there's not much you can do about it in contracts, I m surprised they didn't try to kick them out though.
Thank you. I might try to talk to the Students Union about how the uni deals with these sorts of situations when they arise but i guess there’s not much i can make them do
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by MonstrousColonel)
Thank you. I might try to talk to the Students Union about how the uni deals with these sorts of situations when they arise but i guess there’s not much i can make them do
yes worth trying the SU but you can't do much more than that.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 9 months ago
is he doing drugs? wondering because that is some odd behaviour. sorry to hear about your situation
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Regardless of your contract, the landlord has the right to issue a Section 8 eviction notice. This can be done if contract terms are broken (like intentional property damage) or if they are involved in criminal/antisocial behaviour.

It seems like you could definitely prove he has been engaging in antisocial behaviour, and if he's been using drugs you could show he's been involved in criminal behaviour. That would be plenty to get him evicted.

However, this is no fast process and can take months, especially if the landlord is unwilling. Your SU should have legal advice available, and might even offer legal services to help you.
MonstrousColonel
Rep:
?
(Original post by DarthRoar)
Regardless of your contract, the landlord has the right to issue a Section 8 eviction notice. This can be done if contract terms are broken (like intentional property damage) or if they are involved in criminal/antisocial behaviour.

It seems like you could definitely prove he has been engaging in antisocial behaviour, and if he's been using drugs you could show he's been involved in criminal behaviour. That would be plenty to get him evicted.

However, this is no fast process and can take months, especially if the landlord is unwilling. Your SU should have legal advice available, and might even offer legal services to help you.
Thanks I’ll get in contact with them anyways, but there’s not much time left in my contract. I’ve submitted loads of formal complaints so I’m mainly concerned with whether I can influence the SU to take these matters more seriously in the future, as the process this year has been awful. I don’t know if he is doing drugs, I think he’s just a very odd person, but he might be.
The response from uni has basically been that they can’t prove it was him, despite seven witnesses, as the area is not under cctv. I think that’s ridiculous and just them trying to find the easy way out. I will definitely take everything you’ve said to the Students Union though, so thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (112)
27.93%
No (289)
72.07%

Watched Threads