Being shouted at at work Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi
So 10 weeks ago I started my second ever job (1st was a temp job over last summer for 3 weeks ) so don't have much experience on working life. I work at a discount chain store similarly to b and m but my areas. There's a row of 4 tills and we all have to have our bags checked and signed by the lead supervisor .

Thursday when I was in I finished and went behind tills were he was to ask him to check my bag normally he is in the office . As I went behind he shouted at me telling me to move round and get from behind tills as were not allowed bags behind there which is fair enough .

However, I was never aware of this rule that it applied for this as he always said no one leaves without bags checking . I was so shocked at the way he shouted at me when I never have been taught or told this.

Does anyone know of i will be in trouble when I'm next in tomorrow for this by the manager I did say sorry ? Can I be let off for this as in 2 weeks come the end of probinatory period? Can please someone help !
Thank you
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sounds minor to me.
More of a learning point for next time
Fekky.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't think anything of it, I understand your probably a little worried as its your first time being shouted at but its kinda how sh**ty supervisors are, just accept it and move on. If anyone does pull you up on it, just explain to them you wasn't aware of the rule as you hadn't been told. Thats all mate, they cant expect you to know something if you haven't been told.

Nothing to worry about
samra_sahadh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What a peice of **** you should've smacked the bag over his head and said i'll work somewhere else.
Last edited by samra_sahadh; 4 weeks ago
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
no he probably won't even remember tomorrow
Anonymous #1
Thank you both of you . I'm just panicked as I don't want them to turn and say you been here for a while now and should know as I wasn't taught things like that I knew that off shift it wouldn't be accepted but after shift for something they wanted I thought it must be allowed if they want. Thank you again
Anonymous #1
Haha that's cheered me up . It was more the fact he shouted at me in front of other staff and customers and the staff looked at me like what am I doing when I wasn't taught it . I don't mind being shouted at if I'm in the wrong but in this case taking me to the side to explain would of been okay it isn't like I was going to steal or anything when he was right there anyway and he was watching me
(Original post by samra_sahadh)
What a peice of **** you should've smacked the bag over his head and said i'll work somewhere else. :eviltongue:
Anonymous #1
They can't sack me for this can they ?
samra_sahadh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Awwhh glad it did. But seriously I feel like they do it more when they know you are new and anxious. I bet if it was an older person he'd have been so dramatic and humiliate you. It's not like you were floating about behind till with your bag and no one was around totally unnecessary.

(Original post by Anonymous)
Haha that's cheered me up . It was more the fact he shouted at me in front of other staff and customers and the staff looked at me like what am I doing when I wasn't taught it . I don't mind being shouted at if I'm in the wrong but in this case taking me to the side to explain would of been okay it isn't like I was going to steal or anything when he was right there anyway and he was watching me
Anonymous #1
Yeah all 4 tills has employees on plus him so was defiantly there and I would never dream of doing that plus I'm going to him to check my bag so clearly knows I'm not going to let him do that if I'm up to no good. Thank you for making me feel better. I just feel like there trying to find any excuse to get rid of me because since employing me they are overspent and only making a few hundred a day. They won't be allowed to sack me because of this will they

Thank you so much btw
(Original post by samra_sahadh)
Awwhh glad it did. But seriously I feel like they do it more when they know you are new and anxious. I bet if it was an older person he'd have been so dramatic and humiliate you. It's not like you were floating about behind till with your bag and no one was around totally unnecessary.
Fekky.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
They can't sack me for this can they ?
They cant sack you straight away unless its gross misconduct e.g. Assaulting someone or stealing from the tills. They would give you some sort of formal warning first. (This should be in your employee handbook)

But don't worry, nothing will happen and i'm sure your supervisor has already forgotten it happene! your just bothered about it because im presuming youve never been shouted at before at work - dont worry!
Anonymous #1
Oh okay there's no mention of it in there and hopefully I will just say the truth if they say anything . No not like this been told to stop doing this but more corrections that I needed to learn just feel like I don't want to go back
Thanks you
(Original post by Fekky.)
They cant sack you straight away unless its gross misconduct e.g. Assaulting someone or stealing from the tills. They would give you some sort of formal warning first. (This should be in your employee handbook)

But don't worry, nothing will happen and i'm sure your supervisor has already forgotten it happene! your just bothered about it because im presuming youve never been shouted at before at work - dont worry!
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's him that should be apologising, not you. There's never an excuse to shout at an employee in front of customers, it's completely unprofessional, humiliates the staff member and makes the business look shoddy. There was nothing stopping him from pulling you aside or explaining quietly that you shouldn't take bags behind the tills but he chose to make a scene. I'd be very wary from now on, you've seen what his behaviour has the potential to be like and how he can turn.
Going Back
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Imo there's never any justification for shouting at staff at all. It shows very poor management skills and in many places would get that manager reprimanded, retrained, or fired.
Anonymous #1
Yeah it's taken me a couple of days to get over it . I'm back tomorrow so hoping nothing is mentioned . I do agree on making the business look bad even doing a bag search in front of customers does tbf . I would never steal anything plus I'm asking to check it so this would show I have no intention hoping it improves . Thank you for replying it helped me see I'm not overreacting
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
It's him that should be apologising, not you. There's never an excuse to shout at an employee in front of customers, it's completely unprofessional, humiliates the staff member and makes the business look shoddy. There was nothing stopping him from pulling you aside or explaining quietly that you shouldn't take bags behind the tills but he chose to make a scene. I'd be very wary from now on, you've seen what his behaviour has the potential to be like and how he can turn.
Anonymous #1
Thank you glad I'm not overreacting and yeah that's what I'm going to convince myself its not my fault there just bad at it haha
(Original post by Going Back)
Imo there's never any justification for shouting at staff at all. It shows very poor management skills and in many places would get that manager reprimanded, retrained, or fired.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (156)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (525)
59.39%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.37%

Watched Threads