Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I intend to take the following a-levels in yr 13;

Maths, F.Maths, Geography, Economics

I also intend to apply for many of the top universities.

My question is - will they offer me an AAAA offer, including F.Maths?

Obviously I want to declare it as much as possible because I know F.Maths gives economic-hopefuls a good advantage in the applications but I am worried about my secureness in getting an A at A-level for it.

If not - will they just stick to the conventional AAA (maths, eco and geog) and just regard F.Maths as 'extra candy' (or perhaps offer me an AS grade in it?).

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Check out the websites of the unis you are interested in.
    Unlikely to be AAAA. Warwick offer for FM applicants is AABB. (Having said which the non-FM offer for Warwick is AAB.)

But you "have" to declare FM, And you only have 1 form for all your unis. So it is not feasible to tell some unis and not others.

You are correct: if you have FM you are much more likely to get an offer.

Where are you thinking of applying?

All the best with your applications and get your Personal Statement checked out.

ReputationRep:
    Some people i know have offers from LSE with FM A2 pass (so an E) and i know someone who has to get an A for Economics and Maths...

None of mine counted it, besides if i'd got an offer from Warwick, like Paul says.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge asks for A in FM
    Warwick as Paul said
    LSE asks for a pass - E, on top of AAA inc Maths, so effectively AAAA for many people who get AA for Maths + FM

Other than that I don't hink any other unis will put a condition on FM, but having FM will boost your chance of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panda-size)
    Cambridge asks for A in FM
    Warwick as Paul said
    LSE asks for a pass - E, on top of AAA inc Maths, so effectively AAAA for many people who get AA for Maths + FM

Other than that I don't hink any other unis will put a condition on FM, but having FM will boost your chance of getting in.
    camridge dont always ask for an A in FM, some other people on this forum have offers which dont include FM fir cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinsta)
    camridge dont always ask for an A in FM, some other people on this forum have offers which dont include FM fir cambridge

You are right, I wasn't being specific, it is college dependent, those colleges who specify they prefer FM and sorry for saying this but also those higher up on the Tompkins Table tend to ask for FM more.

ReputationRep:
    You are right, I wasn't being specific, it is college dependent, those colleges who specify they prefer FM and sorry for saying this but also those higher up on the Tompkins Table tend to ask for FM more.
    where have u got this from, not that im questioning it, more that i am intrigued by it.
    perhaps an admissions tutor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinsta)
    where have u got this from, not that im questioning it, more that i am intrigued by it.
    perhaps an admissions tutor?
    I've just gone through the economics application process this year with the top unis.

The Cambridge Decision thread 2008 gives a lot of info, for most people FM is required if they are doing it and Maths is sometimes not included in the AAA offer.

The college I applied to - Pembroke - did not specify FM yet the offers they gave on the TSR include FM. I think TSR is a good cross-section for successful Cambridge applicants.

It does make sense, most people applying to Cam will have FM with the top applicants applying to the top colleges whereas other colleges make up their numbers through the pool and have marginally lower standards in general.

ReputationRep:
    I've just gone through the economics application process this year with the top unis.

The Cambridge Decision thread 2008 gives a lot of info, for most people FM is required if they are doing it and Maths is sometimes not included in the AAA offer.

The college I applied to - Pembroke - did not specify FM yet the offers they gave on the TSR include FM. I think TSR is a good cross-section for successful Cambridge applicants.

It does make sense, most people applying to Cam will have FM with the top applicants applying to the top colleges whereas other colleges make up their numbers through the pool and have marginally lower standards in general.
    damn, not looking forward at all to achieving any offer i get which states "A in further maths"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Check out the websites of the unis you are interested in.
    Unlikely to be AAAA. Warwick offer for FM applicants is AABB. (Having said which the non-FM offer for Warwick is AAB.)

But you "have" to declare FM, And you only have 1 form for all your unis. So it is not feasible to tell some unis and not others.

You are correct: if you have FM you are much more likely to get an offer.

Where are you thinking of applying?

All the best with your applications and get your Personal Statement checked out.
    I was leaning towards the following (assuming my grades in the summer are up to scratch):

Oxford
    L.S.E (not too sure on this one as I hear it's a pain to get into and I could sub. it for another more realistic choice).
    U.C.L
    Warwick
    Bath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bugzy)
    I was leaning towards the following (assuming my grades in the summer are up to scratch):

Oxford
    L.S.E (not too sure on this one as I hear it's a pain to get into and I could sub. it for another more realistic choice).
    U.C.L
    Warwick
    Bath
    With reference to LSE, what were your GCSE grades?
    e,g, how many A*S?

Yes they are quite aggressive choices. But if you have the AS grades to back it up then you should be aggressive in your uni selection. What AS grades are you currently predicted?

ReputationRep:
    I have 7 A*'s, 5 A's & a B at GCSE Level. BUT my A*'s were not in standard subjects like Maths & Science (instead in subjects like Geography, History and R.S) - which is why I'm wondering if they will be criticized

I don't know the predicted grades from my school but I would assume AAAB (A's in Maths, Geography, Economics & a B in English Lit (which I am dropping for AS)). That is what I have been working at throughout the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bugzy)
    I have 7 A*'s, 5 A's & a B at GCSE Level. BUT my A*'s were not in standard subjects like Maths & Science (instead in subjects like Geography, History and R.S) - which is why I'm wondering if they will be criticized

I don't know the predicted grades from my school but I would assume AAAB (A's in Maths, Geography, Economics & a B in English Lit (which I am dropping for AS)). That is what I have been working at throughout the year.
    Maybe only go for LSE or UCL, and have somewhere like Southampton/York/Exeter as your absolute insurance?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.