Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My laptop seems to get hot fairly quickly even when just browsing the internet and listening to music. When I want to play games I have to have a fan blowing on it so it doesn't overheat.

Is there a way I can stop it from overheating? I've heard using a vacuum to clean dust out but I don't want to have to reattach a whole bunch of keys and I've heard static electricity can fry my computer. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any compressed air where I live so I can't use that.

ReputationRep:
    Do you keep the charger plugged in constantly?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    The only thing I'd suggest would be compressed air (aka an air duster), but if you can't find one then that's not much use. I think you can get them on Amazon though, so you could give that a try. Seriously I would recommend it, it cut my laptop temperature in half.

ReputationRep:
    If you 'know' about the hardware of a laptop, I suggest opening it. Apply some thermal paste to the CPU and the heatsink even if it is a laptop. If its still under warranty call the place you got it from, first.
    But dont pay a single penny to them as this issue can usually be resolved fast.
    DO a few googles about it aswell.!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by footy99)
    I don't want to have to reattach a whole bunch of keys
    You don't open it up through the keyboard, you unscrew the back. :p:

(Original post by secretmessages)
    The only thing I'd suggest would be compressed air (aka an air duster), but if you can't find one then that's not much use. I think you can get them on Amazon though, so you could give that a try. Seriously I would recommend it, it cut my laptop temperature in half.
    But, I would suggest this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nothingspek)
    Do you keep the charger plugged in constantly?
    Yes. My laptop battery is rubbish so it dies after about 40/45 minutes and then takes a subsequent 3 hours to charge up.

Secretmessages - I'm popping back to the UK in about a week or so. Do you know anywhere that would sell them? Woolworths? B&Q?

TerryW - Would books work or would it have to be something plasticy? I was looking on Play.com at those laptop coolers and wasn't sure if it was a one-size fits all kind of thing or if I needed to know the specific dimensions of my laptop?

daruishraz - If I did I would certainly do so. However I bought it in Dubai International Airport so I'd have to go to a general computer place if I wanted it done.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. My laptop battery is rubbish so it dies after about 40/45 minutes and then takes a subsequent 3 hours to charge up.
    Mine is exactly the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123mccann)
    You don't open it up through the keyboard, you unscrew the back. :p:
    That was when i was cleaning various bits of dirt out from under the keys. Last time I tried with vacuum, I stuck it on the fan vent (when turned off obviously) and switched the vacuum's power up to full. I'm afraid that if I take the back off I might touch something and then static electricity from the vacuum nozzle (not sure if plastic conducts electricity but you never know :p: ) would fry my laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nothingspek)
    Mine is exactly the same.
    If they weren't so expensive then I'd probably buy I new one.

ReputationRep:
    However I bought it in Dubai International Airport so I'd have to go to a general computer place if I wanted it done.
    what spec??

i'd shy away from buying anything other than food from airports ( and alcohol ).

i reckon u may of bought a cheap pile of ***** to put it blunt

ReputationRep:
    have you checked your CPU load?
    perhaps you have some programs running in the background using processor power, causing it to heat?

i use a hoover all the time on my laptop and past laptop. nothing has broken in 5 years
    never used compressed air.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the surface you use you laptop too (i briefly remember reading about something of the sort in the handbook)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderton)
    what spec??

i'd shy away from buying anything other than food from airports ( and alcohol ).

i reckon u may of bought a cheap pile of ***** to put it blunt
    It was alright. Cost about £400. It's a Toshiba Satellite M70 and it has been serving me pretty well. However since I'm going back to the UK for uni, it'd seem kind of pointless to bring a fan with me just for that reason. EDIT: Here's a link to it: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2765

(Original post by alexsheppard11)
    have you checked your CPU load?
    perhaps you have some programs running in the background using processor power, causing it to heat?

i use a hoover all the time on my laptop and past laptop. nothing has broken in 5 years
    never used compressed air.
    In the Task Manager window I have a lot of processes that could do with removing however I'm not sure which I can remove safely and which will bugger up my computer.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thats better than mine which lasted for less than 5 minutes until I got it a new battery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by couture_kid)
    It depends on the surface you use you laptop too (i briefly remember reading about something of the sort in the handbook)
    It's on a wooden desk.

ReputationRep:
    In the Task Manager window I have a lot of processes that could do with removing however I'm not sure which I can remove safely and which will bugger up my computer.
    >> run msconfig.exe
    >> check selective startup
    >> uncheck startup items
    >> go to services tab (above top)
    >> check 'hide all microsoft services'
    >> disable all

There you go - clean boot with only essentials running.

However, if it has the dreaded Norton on (or some other itnernet security suites) don't bother, as it will be all but hassle from there on.

ReputationRep:
    if you end a process its ok, if you cant do anything restart.
    the process will start again when you log on

use a program that will tell you what the processes are in english rather than a file name.
    or google the process name and you'll find loads of sites explaining what theyre for

ReputationRep:
    It's on a wooden desk.
    oh ok... thats alright then. must be something else.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team

Secretmessages - I'm popping back to the UK in about a week or so. Do you know anywhere that would sell them? Woolworths? B&Q?

TerryW - Would books work or would it have to be something plasticy? I was looking on Play.com at those laptop coolers and wasn't sure if it was a one-size fits all kind of thing or if I needed to know the specific dimensions of my laptop?

daruishraz - If I did I would certainly do so. However I bought it in Dubai International Airport so I'd have to go to a general computer place if I wanted it done.
    I actually got mine from Asda! Maplin will probably do them too, and anywhere vaguely technical should.

ReputationRep:
    Reduce the amount of power your laptop uses.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.