Deferring MSc Oxford program? Watch

jerimiahblue
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I got accepted into a taught MSc for Fall 2019. I just found out recently that my mom must undergo a heart transplant within the next year. I am considered a support person (along with my dad), but I don't know whether this is grounds for deferral. Has anyone had any experience with this? There are only 20 people in my program and I know they can reject me. If that happens, I'll be forced to choose between going to school and leaving my mum behind or withdrawing and re-applying next year (would they even accept me then?). I just want to avoid as much back and forth as possible.
threeportdrift
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jerimiahblue)
I got accepted into a taught MSc for Fall 2019. I just found out recently that my mom must undergo a heart transplant within the next year. I am considered a support person (along with my dad), but I don't know whether this is grounds for deferral. Has anyone had any experience with this? There are only 20 people in my program and I know they can reject me. If that happens, I'll be forced to choose between going to school and leaving my mum behind or withdrawing and re-applying next year (would they even accept me then?). I just want to avoid as much back and forth as possible.
Ask them. Even if they say no, there's a strong chance you'd be accepted the following year.
jerimiahblue
Rep:
?
really? I'd imagine that they'd be less likely to accept me since I would be declining the chance to go.
threeportdrift
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jerimiahblue)
really? I'd imagine that they'd be less likely to accept me since I would be declining the chance to go.
They don't take offence, they aren't an individual with feelings. They want academic talent. If you had competitive talent this year, chances are you'll still have it next year. It's not a certainty, but there's a decent chance. Moreso, because you have a valid, external reason for needing to change start year, other than the universal funding issue. They are hard-nosed about deferring for funding because the same excuse could roll on for years and years.
jerimiahblue
Rep:
?
True. Maybe i'm overthinking. I'll ring them and ask
(Original post by threeportdrift)
They don't take offence, they aren't an individual with feelings. They want academic talent. If you had competitive talent this year, chances are you'll still have it next year. It's not a certainty, but there's a decent chance. Moreso, because you have a valid, external reason for needing to change start year, other than the universal funding issue. They are hard-nosed about deferring for funding because the same excuse could roll on for years and years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby