How do you feel about your girlfriend wearing showy clothes

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Ewle20000304
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m in a relationship with an amazing young lady who is the mother of my child. I’ve always been curious as some guys just don’t seem to care how revealingly their girlfriend dress, it boggles my mind! I am in no way controlling, if my girlfriend feels confident and looks great then I’m happy, just as long as her ass and boobs aren’t hanging out! Call me old fashioned but I don’t believe in having it all on show, if you have a boyfriend. I understand girls don’t necessarily dress for a man’s attention but is that really so? Yes, you maybe feel confident wearing these thing, but is that why? My girlfriend and I have spoken about this ‘issue’ , but she’s not the type to have everything hanging out but always dressed nicely, I don’t mind her having a bit of cleavage, or wearing a short skirt or short shorts but I just hate the idea of having too much on show! I’m super supportive and I always tell her how beautiful she looks regardless of what she’s got on, because let’s face it, she’s the mother of my child and probably most beautiful when she makes no effort, sitting in her jammies and a bun. I often stress about this in my own head though, like what if she wants other guys looking? Maybe she gets a kick from having a lot on show? (Even though she never does haha). Part of me just hates the fact that some women may feel obligated to dress ‘provocatively’ (**** word for it I know but I couldn’t think of another lol) to feel good about themselves, I hate that it’s so common to have everything on show. Of course, a woman can wear what she pleases, but my past experiences with girls who dressed that sort of way were just awful, acting just how they dressed, obsessed with other guys attention. Maybe its just because I was raised by my belated 61 year old father and we shared the same beliefs, like you should dress ‘respectfully’ if you have a partner. God knows though😂 just an insecurity that I have, but what does everyone else think?
Grapple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what i think is that you should stop worrying about what other people want to put on their own body (aka not yours) and stop stereotyping people and judging them and their intentions because of what they wear. if they want to dress "provocatively", then it's their choice, and they are in no way asking for comments or attention from guys by doing that. some men just feel entitled and are nasty enough to think that whatever a woman does is for male attention. you say youre in no way controlling however if your baby mama were to go out in a bikini youd probably be mad about that, lol youre contradicting yourself. id say if you dont like so called revealing clothing then dont wear them. your baby mama clearly from what youre saying isnt into them, or maybe isnt wearing them for her own reasons, but if she does decide to dress in less clothes or whatever then it's 100% none of your business to worry about. you should be secure enough in yourself and your relationship and know that she wont be doing it for other guys.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
I can understand where you're coming from. If it concerns other girls then that's their business but with your girlfriend I understand and agree with you. I'm a girl but if I were in your position I wouldn't want my girlfriend to show too much of her body to other guys. I mean I want to be the only person to see that much of her skin if that makes sense? Not in a overly possessive way or controlling way but it's like she's special to you and not anyone else? I don't know how to describe it?
wxgmak
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Let her wear whatever she wants, it's her body.
Galactic tears
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I can understand where you're coming from. If it concerns other girls then that's their business but with your girlfriend I understand and agree with you. I'm a girl but if I were in your position I wouldn't want my girlfriend to show too much of her body to other guys. I mean I want to be the only person to see that much of her skin if that makes sense? Not in a overly possessive way or controlling way but it's like she's special to you and not anyone else? I don't know how to describe it?
Yeah I know what you mean
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I can understand because as a girl i only wear revealing clothes outside because i want to look sexy/makes me feel good, usually hoping for some attention or someone to approach me. When i was in a relationship my boyfriend was always around when we went out and didn't mind what i wore BUT has limits: if my nipples showed through/obvious i wasn't wearing a bra, a skirt was so short underwear showed if i bent over a bit, or if i wore a short skirt without underwear (all being washed), cause he knew if guys noticed they'd get excited about it etc. I can understand all of that, it becomes provocative, meaning someone could be provoked

it's also the times i'd get catcalled etc, even in front of him sometimes, which was not a nice experience at all and he felt humiliated/belittled

At home i wear almost nothing it makes me feel free, that's when i feel comfy in my own skin but wouldn't feel like it's 'just dressing for me' once i know others can see

But other girls may be different from me
(Original post by Ewle20000304)
I’m in a relationship with an amazing young lady who is the mother of my child. I’ve always been curious as some guys just don’t seem to care how revealingly their girlfriend dress, it boggles my mind! I am in no way controlling, if my girlfriend feels confident and looks great then I’m happy, just as long as her ass and boobs aren’t hanging out! Call me old fashioned but I don’t believe in having it all on show, if you have a boyfriend. I understand girls don’t necessarily dress for a man’s attention but is that really so? Yes, you maybe feel confident wearing these thing, but is that why? My girlfriend and I have spoken about this ‘issue’ , but she’s not the type to have everything hanging out but always dressed nicely, I don’t mind her having a bit of cleavage, or wearing a short skirt or short shorts but I just hate the idea of having too much on show! I’m super supportive and I always tell her how beautiful she looks regardless of what she’s got on, because let’s face it, she’s the mother of my child and probably most beautiful when she makes no effort, sitting in her jammies and a bun. I often stress about this in my own head though, like what if she wants other guys looking? Maybe she gets a kick from having a lot on show? (Even though she never does haha). Part of me just hates the fact that some women may feel obligated to dress ‘provocatively’ (**** word for it I know but I couldn’t think of another lol) to feel good about themselves, I hate that it’s so common to have everything on show. Of course, a woman can wear what she pleases, but my past experiences with girls who dressed that sort of way were just awful, acting just how they dressed, obsessed with other guys attention. Maybe its just because I was raised by my belated 61 year old father and we shared the same beliefs, like you should dress ‘respectfully’ if you have a partner. God knows though😂 just an insecurity that I have, but what does everyone else think?
Ewle20000304
Rep:
?
That’s the thing though, you hit it right on the head, it’s just an insecurity. Think this is what i needed to hear! I wouldn’t mind a bikini but wouldn’t want people seeing her in underwear, like how does that even make sense?🤦🏻*♂️ I know as I grow in to a man, these insecurities will settle, I feel as though it is from within myself as I am not keen on my body at all and would only let my partner see what’s underneath. We trust each other fully and have never encountered any problematic situations. I think I just need to banish this weird issue, because you’re right, it’s totally up to her and it isn’t done in a way to attract anyone. Thank you bud.
(Original post by Mimi9335)
what i think is that you should stop worrying about what other people want to put on their own body (aka not yours) and stop stereotyping people and judging them and their intentions because of what they wear. if they want to dress "provocatively", then it's their choice, and they are in no way asking for comments or attention from guys by doing that. some men just feel entitled and are nasty enough to think that whatever a woman does is for male attention. you say youre in no way controlling however if your baby mama were to go out in a bikini youd probably be mad about that, lol youre contradicting yourself. id say if you dont like so called revealing clothing then dont wear them. your baby mama clearly from what youre saying isnt into them, or maybe isnt wearing them for her own reasons, but if she does decide to dress in less clothes or whatever then it's 100% none of your business to worry about. you should be secure enough in yourself and your relationship and know that she wont be doing it for other guys.
Ewle20000304
Rep:
?
That’s exactly what I mean, I’m not controlling and I don’t tell her what to wear but I would never want other people seeing what I’d say was ‘exclusive’
(Original post by Yasmin1224)
Yeah I know what you mean
Ewle20000304
Rep:
?
Glad you can relate to me! Thank you
(Original post by Anonymous)
I can understand because as a girl i only wear revealing clothes outside because i want to look sexy/makes me feel good, usually hoping for some attention or someone to approach me. When i was in a relationship my boyfriend was always around when we went out and didn't mind what i wore BUT has limits: if my nipples showed through/obvious i wasn't wearing a bra, a skirt was so short underwear showed if i bent over a bit, or if i wore a short skirt without underwear (all being washed), cause he knew if guys noticed they'd get excited about it etc. I can understand all of that, it becomes provocative, meaning someone could be provoked

it's also the times i'd get catcalled etc, even in front of him sometimes, which was not a nice experience at all and he felt humiliated/belittled

At home i wear almost nothing it makes me feel free, that's when i feel comfy in my own skin but wouldn't feel like it's 'just dressing for me' once i know others can see

But other girls may be different from me
TheArtOfLiving
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Every relationship is different...Me and my gf prefer to keep our most private parts only for us two. It makes us feel more special this way. I still don't mind if she wants to wear a little shorter dress or a skirt or swimsuit when she wants too or needs to.
SadBoiOf2001
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm a boy i'm 19 my gf is 17, these revealing clothes just killl me inside seriously, it makes me feel sad as **** knowing how other boys stsre at her like she's a piece of meat, i told her about them showy clothes but she still wears them. And it hurts me so bad it causes me pain in the chest, yes, not exaggerating.
oglez92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ewle20000304)
(Original post by Grapple)
Is this a recent behavioural change or has this been a fairly consistent thing before and during the relationship?
SadBoiOf2001
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by wxgmak)
Let her wear whatever she wants, it's her body.
I think so as a gf she should care about how her bf feels, bcz you girls have never experienced how it feels
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Personally revealing clothes don't bother me, what I dislike is excessive make up. Though I feel that the choice of clothes in high street retailing is very poor, and limited for those who want to wear clothing that is not revealing/poor quality/is modest.
candydiva
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SadBoiOf2001)
I'm a boy i'm 19 my gf is 17, these revealing clothes just killl me inside seriously, it makes me feel sad as **** knowing how other boys stsre at her like she's a piece of meat, i told her about them showy clothes but she still wears them. And it hurts me so bad it causes me pain in the chest, yes, not exaggerating.
Like u didn't "stare at her" like she's a "piece of meat"? Or at OF/Snap girls the same?

Rlly... males who want to control how women dress in any way are a real red flag. Any male who uses the words "piece of meat" to describe his supposed gf - however she chooses to present herself - has control issues and maybe a touch of M/W complex.

I decide for myself. Master likes it when I show off and he usually recommends I wear more showy but I don't always listen to him.
SadBoiOf2001
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by candydiva)
Like u didn't "stare at her" like she's a "piece of meat"? Or at OF/Snap girls the same?

Rlly... males who want to control how women dress in any way are a real red flag. Any male who uses the words "piece of meat" to describe his supposed gf - however she chooses to present herself - has control issues and maybe a touch of M/W complex.

I decide for myself. Master likes it when I show off and he usually recommends I wear more showy but I don't always listen to him.
I think i don't have control issues, it is just you the one who has understanding issues cz i just told you that it kills me literally.
Plus, no i never looked at her as a piece of meat, you know why? Simply cz i'm emotionally attracted to her and i have strong feelings for, i love her.
Plus i never snapped girls the way you think, it is just you girls the ones who have wrong definition about boys. Not all boys are the same. You have to learn to understand a d appreciate when a man cares for you and doesn't want wolves eyes to be on you.
You're literally No-one to assume that i describe my girl as a piece of meat, you don't even have the right to, you don't know how much i love her. When i said this word i meant it in the eyes of other boys who don't have feelings for her, and just wanna stare to satisfy their inner sex need.
candydiva
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Any male who ever refers to a female as a "piece of meat" - especially his own gf even thru the eyes of others - has control and respect issues.

I have met respectful and mature men in my life and they never, not even ever, call any woman "a piece of meat" even in conversation about others like u just did. Now U did not refer to the statements or quotations from other guys... u described above how u believe they view her. Ur statement says more about u than them.

Yeah this thinking is a red flag for girls and maybe if u reflect on this at a later stage u may come to understand more.

My dude cares for me and he likes it when I dress sexy and other dudes look at me that way. So how r we girls all the same then?
SadBoiOf2001
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by candydiva)
Any male who ever refers to a female as a "piece of meat" - especially his own gf even thru the eyes of others - has control and respect issues.

I have met respectful and mature men in my life and they never, not even ever, call any woman "a piece of meat" even in conversation about others like u just did. Now U did not refer to the statements or quotations from other guys... u described above how u believe they view her. Ur statement says more about u than them.

Yeah this thinking is a red flag for girls and maybe if u reflect on this at a later stage u may come to understand more.

My dude cares for me and he likes it when I dress sexy and other dudes look at me that way. So how r we girls all the same then?
Well i just told ya, all boys are different. Personally and referring to my theory a guy who is asking his gf to wear sexy stuff doesn't care when other males eat you with their eyes, he wants to expose you and make you vulnerable, i think he doesn't have true feelings for you, i personally see this as a behavior of a man who does this with his side hoes,not his gf. Anyways i told ya, i referred to this word only because i see things from another perspective, and i see how other male stare and get seduced seeing a womman who's dressing provocatively. I see my friends, i see all other boys, you can see this phenomenon in movies to, if you watched "baywatch" for an example. I'm pretty sure of what i'm saying because i see this with my own eyes i see how guys hit on her dms with those flirty comments, and if you think as a gf you don't care about your bf feeling uncomfortable for this, you should probably reconsider your relationship.
tashkent46
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Depends on the occasion. Probably not appropriate at your nans funeral.
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ill be happy that i've got a girlfriend.

Spoiler:
Show
her body. her choice
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (712)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (898)
42.78%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (396)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed