The Student Room Group

Dislocated Knee

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone has ever had to deal with a dislocated knee before and how long it took to heal?!

Basically I was out with my friends in a nightclub and whatever way I moved my leg I dislocated my patella😬. Fell on the ground, saw my knee had gone a really weird shape and didn’t know what else to do but pop it back into place (which I know probably wasn’t the greatest idea). Went to the hospital the next morning expecting them to give me a brace and some crutches, but they put me in a full leg cast instead. The nurse said that though x rays showed that my patella was currently back in the right position, they wanted me to have the cast to minimise the chance of it happening again. She said it could be on for up to 8 weeks but When I rang the fracture ward they said it might have only be two weeks followed by a few weeks in a brace and some physio therapy. It’s not the immobilisation process that I have a problem with (even though it’s really annoying and awkward), but I’m getting serious claustrophobia from not being able to see my leg and knowing that I can’t take the cast off (I know it sounds silly but I’m finding it really distressing).

I know that every case is different, but if anyone else has been in this position before I would really like to know how long they made you stay in the cast for, cause right now the idea of being in this for 8 weeks is really horrible😩😬

Cheers
Hi. I’m a student radiographer. When you dislocated your patella, you probably injured your medial patellofemoral ligament. This ligament essentially holds the patella in place and keeps it centralised to the knee. The cast is to ensure this ligament surrounding the patella heals so you don’t get a repeat dislocation. I know a cast seems quite daunting but it’s there for your benefit really. Just try and relax. It may even heal quicker.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you! I’m just gonna have to suck it up for as long as it’s necessary, but it’s just a major pain in the arse😩
Original post by Anonymous
Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone has ever had to deal with a dislocated knee before and how long it took to heal?!

Basically I was out with my friends in a nightclub and whatever way I moved my leg I dislocated my patella😬. Fell on the ground, saw my knee had gone a really weird shape and didn’t know what else to do but pop it back into place (which I know probably wasn’t the greatest idea). Went to the hospital the next morning expecting them to give me a brace and some crutches, but they put me in a full leg cast instead. The nurse said that though x rays showed that my patella was currently back in the right position, they wanted me to have the cast to minimise the chance of it happening again. She said it could be on for up to 8 weeks but When I rang the fracture ward they said it might have only be two weeks followed by a few weeks in a brace and some physio therapy. It’s not the immobilisation process that I have a problem with (even though it’s really annoying and awkward), but I’m getting serious claustrophobia from not being able to see my leg and knowing that I can’t take the cast off (I know it sounds silly but I’m finding it really distressing).

I know that every case is different, but if anyone else has been in this position before I would really like to know how long they made you stay in the cast for, cause right now the idea of being in this for 8 weeks is really horrible😩😬

Cheers

:undefined:hugs Sorry to hear about your knee - it can really suck.:sadnod:

I did mine in (dislocated it) around the end of October last year. I have hypermobility as well (which didn't help the situation, and the physiotherapist was like 'yep you have it - me: yep I knew that already... :tongue: ). But perhaps something to ask your gp about?

My knee was out for a while to say the least (first time it happened) I still had to go to the hospital for x ray etc.

Interestingly you say you were put in a cast - I wasn't but I was seen by paramedics afterwards at home once my parents called 999 (was screaming - not fun). But yeah it clicked back soonish. 🤔

Then after I got physiotherapy and it was around 8 weeks after doing the exercises.

Once your leg is out of the cast they might suggest you do physio to build the strength back up (it really did help me but everyone is different as you say :smile:).

I also get what you mean about it being distressing :console: I still get the mental thing going on in my head sometines like 'what if it happens again'. So yeah I still do the exercises often just in case.

Just rfollow the directions and what you've been told by the hospital for now :hugs:
Reply 4
Thank you! Yeah it’s rubbish but I just keep thinking I suppose it could be worse😩
Nurses are not experts in orthopaedic injuries. Physios are.
Reply 6
Hiya!I’ve been dislocating both kneecaps regularly since the age of 12 😂 thought maybe i could helpthe first couple of times they put me in a cast for 2-3 weeks depending on how bad it was , followed by around 4 weeks in a removable hinge brace and crutches and months of physiomy advice is keep positive (I know it’s hard), try to plan routes and whilst off elevate it, have a water bottle/tv remote/ phone nearby to minimise getting up and down. Also be careful of swinging doors as hitting your knee on those is painful. Hope I could help!
Reply 7
Hi! Just an update but it’s been months now since this happened and all’s well thankfully, my Dr took the cast off and said I hadn’t done any major damage and the MRI showed bruised ligaments, but that was all!! He was happy to send me away with just a support brace to use if I felt like it and actually told me to try to use my leg as usual to stop it from getting weak and atrophying. It got better quite quickly and I was at a concert less than a fortnight later- it took a few months and some physio to strengthen it up before it healed completely though!! Just wanted to post this so anyone who has it happen to them knows it might not take that long to get back on track!✌🏼

Quick Reply

Latest