Car accident, does any blame fall to me? Watch

RubyG-
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I passed my test 3 weeks ago and had a car waiting. Last night I was at a traffic light and there was two cars behind me, none in front. The light turned green and I went to pull off but stalled. I pulled my hand break up turned my engine off and on and went to pull off again, before I could the car behind drove into me. Only the right hand side of my bumper is damaged so I think he was going to take over me but misjudged the distance. The man is trying to blame me as I stalled. I was just hoping to get some advice as to whether any blame falls to me?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Cereidee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are 100%, without a doubt, completely and utterly not to blame on this one.
Neilos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can see no reasonable way of putting any blame on you. He hit your rear end while you were not moving - either due to inattentiveness or misjudging the distance, so it's his fault.
Oli9050
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Pretty much any collision from behind is the cars behinds fault, especially in this circumstance since you literally were not moving... Should be able to claim damages on your insurance
RubyG-
Rep:
?
Thank you all, I was pretty certain I was at no fault, but was anxious as the man was dead set I was.
Cereidee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RubyG-)
Thank you all, I was pretty certain I was at no fault, but was anxious as the man was dead set I was.
They always are, but makes sure to always stand your ground. I remember about 2 months after I passed back in 2017, I was driving to school and a motorbike full-on T-boned me on a roundabout, and I while the guy was laying on the floor, bike on top of him he was yelling, "she hit me! She hit me!"
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RubyG-)
So I passed my test 3 weeks ago and had a car waiting. Last night I was at a traffic light and there was two cars behind me, none in front. The light turned green and I went to pull off but stalled. I pulled my hand break up turned my engine off and on and went to pull off again, before I could the car behind drove into me. Only the right hand side of my bumper is damaged so I think he was going to take over me but misjudged the distance. The man is trying to blame me as I stalled. I was just hoping to get some advice as to whether any blame falls to me?
Nah, you're not to blame. Ideally you shouldn't be stalling your car with a full licence, but it's somewhat excusable.

He had no excuse to ram into the back of you; he clearly wasn't paying attention.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah not much excuse for ramming into a stationary car.

If the other driver is trying to blame you though...the cynical side of me would expect the driver to claim you rolled back when you stalled, and I suspect that would change things.

Was it just you in your car and them in theirs? no passengers?

A work van i was passenger in got rear ended a few years ago and the other driver tried to claim we'd reversed into them, partly because they thought there was only 2 folk in our van (there were 5) and she thought her, her passenger and a fake 'witness' could swing the story her way.
RubyG-
Rep:
?
It was only me in my car and them in their car
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Neilos)
I can see no reasonable way of putting any blame on you. He hit your rear end while you were not moving - either due to inattentiveness or misjudging the distance, so it's his fault.
Pretty much any collision from behind is the cars behinds fault, especially in this circumstance since you literally were not moving.
Your insurance company should be able to see through this other drivers excuses and trying to deflect the blame.
julietlima3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Yeah not much excuse for ramming into a stationary car.

If the other driver is trying to blame you though...the cynical side of me would expect the driver to claim you rolled back when you stalled, and I suspect that would change things.

Was it just you in your car and them in theirs? no passengers?

A work van i was passenger in got rear ended a few years ago and the other driver tried to claim we'd reversed into them, partly because they thought there was only 2 folk in our van (there were 5) and she thought her, her passenger and a fake 'witness' could swing the story her way.
I wonder if it's possible to tell which car was stationary in such a crash by the damage caused.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Expect the other party to lie their heads off and to put the blame on you.

Do you have any camera footage or any independent witnesses? Passengers in either car don't count as independent witnesses.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by julietlima3)
I wonder if it's possible to tell which car was stationary in such a crash by the damage caused.
Very likely, but i think they keep that more for high speed/high liability stuff, that's when they'll start measuring tyres, paint, angles of skidmarks on road ect.

(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
Expect the other party to lie their heads off and to put the blame on you.

Do you have any camera footage or any independent witnesses? Passengers in either car don't count as independent witnesses.
Yup, tbh when mine happened I was slightly shocked at how quick the other party tried to blame us and rustled up a fake witness...we were lucky, her story was full of holes, and because she told her 'witness' the wrong details they made an utter fool of themselves and the police put the frightners on them, apparently she took a whitey when the police told the 'victim' there were 5 folk in the van, all city employees and that all city vans by law make LOTS of beepy noise when reversing which both her and her pals forgot to mention, the police came in to our depot for a laugh about it.

But the exp def did highlight how differently that would have gone if it was just me driving, i'd have likely been stitched up good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.48%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.79%
No I am happy with my course choice (548)
59.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (131)
14.22%

Watched Threads