C4 parametric equations help Watch

oliviaaa98
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Can someone please explain question 7ii on paper A. Why is it tan (90-theta) etc??

https://mei.org.uk/files/papers/June13/C4_2013_June.pdf
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by oliviaaa98)
Can someone please explain question 7ii on paper A. Why is it tan (90-theta) etc??

https://mei.org.uk/files/papers/June13/C4_2013_June.pdf
The gradient at A is equal to \tan \alpha. Let me know if you do not understand why. And it's not hard to deduce that \alpha + \theta  + 90 = 180 on that diagram, therefore \alpha = 90-\theta. Hence gradient is \tan (90-\theta).

oliviaaa98
Rep:
?
don't understand why the gradient at A is equal to \tan \alpha , or why I even need to know the gradient at A :confused: ,but i don't think i need to know that anyway, i figured out how to do this question, they just wrote that on the markscheme as replacement for dy/dx i think
(Original post by RDKGames)
The gradient at A is equal to \tan \alpha. Let me know if you do not understand why. And it's not hard to deduce that \alpha + \theta  + 90 = 180 on that diagram, therefore \alpha = 90-\theta. Hence gradient is \tan (90-\theta).

RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
don't understand why the gradient at A is equal to \tan \alpha , or why I even need to know the gradient at A :confused: ,but i don't think i need to know that anyway, i figured out how to do this question, they just wrote that on the markscheme as replacement for dy/dx i think
I meant the gradient at C. The x coordinate at that point is the same as the x coordinate of A.

Anyway, in order to determine \theta, you need to realise that it's somehow linked to the tangent at C. From my diagram above, all I did was introduce the angle \alpha. The gradient of the tangent at C is indeed the same as \tan \alpha because of the triangle at the end of this post. (1) What's the gradient of the hypotenuse?? (2) By basic trigonometry, what's the value of \tan \alpha ?? Can you see how the two are one and the same? This very idea applies to your question, hence \tan \alpha is the gradient at C. And I have already established that this can be rewritten as \tan (90-\theta).

But what *is* the gradient at C?? For that, you need to determine the value of \dfrac{dy}{dx} at that point, which turns out to be 1.98 as in the mark scheme.

So... \tan(90-\theta) = 1.98 as required.

oliviaaa98
Rep:
?
thanks, I also need help on a question on this paper: https://mei.org.uk/files/papers/c406ju_83nd.pdf

can you please explain the last part of question 6 part iii) on paper A. 'Hence show that BF=3a/2 and find OF in terms of a, giving your answer exactly'.
And also part iv
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
thanks, I also need help on a question on this paper: https://mei.org.uk/files/papers/c406ju_83nd.pdf

can you please explain the last part of question 6 part iii) on paper A. 'Hence show that BF=3a/2 and find OF in terms of a, giving your answer exactly'.
And also part iv
In order to find the length BF, you need to know the y coordinates of B and F. The x coordinate is the same, so you don't need to know it for this length. The y coordinate of F is obviously 0, so what's the y coordinate of B? Use the fact that B occurs along the curve when \theta = \dfrac{2}{3}\pi. Hence the length of BF is...?

Then for length OF, you need to know the x coordinates of O and F. The y coordinate is the same, so you don't need to know it for this length. The x coordinate of O is obviously 0, so what's the x coordinate of F? Note that it's the same as the x coordinate of B. Hence the length of OF is...?

For (iv) use similar logic. For length BC, you now want the x coordinates of B and C. The y coordinates are the same, so you dont need to know what it is. You know the x coord of B, so what's the x coord of C?? There are a few ways to approach it, so I'll leave it to your creativity to see how you get it.

Length AF is easier, because you just consider the right-angled triangle AFB. You know the length BF. You are told the angle there is 30 degrees. So apply basic trig for AF.
oliviaaa98
Rep:
?
for iv) when working out AF why do you have to multiple root 3 by 3a/2?, is it just to make it in terms of a? (and 3a/2 is equal to 1 using the standard 60 30 triangle, so its the same as multiplying by one?)??
(Original post by RDKGames)
In order to find the length BF, you need to know the y coordinates of B and F. The x coordinate is the same, so you don't need to know it for this length. The y coordinate of F is obviously 0, so what's the y coordinate of B? Use the fact that B occurs along the curve when \theta = \dfrac{2}{3}\pi. Hence the length of BF is...?

Then for length OF, you need to know the x coordinates of O and F. The y coordinate is the same, so you don't need to know it for this length. The x coordinate of O is obviously 0, so what's the x coordinate of F? Note that it's the same as the x coordinate of B. Hence the length of OF is...?

For (iv) use similar logic. For length BC, you now want the x coordinates of B and C. The y coordinates are the same, so you dont need to know what it is. You know the x coord of B, so what's the x coord of C?? There are a few ways to approach it, so I'll leave it to your creativity to see how you get it.

Length AF is easier, because you just consider the right-angled triangle AFB. You know the length BF. You are told the angle there is 30 degrees. So apply basic trig for AF.
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
for iv) when working out AF why do you have to multiple root 3 by 3a/2?, is it just to make it in terms of a? (and 3a/2 is equal to 1 using the standard 60 30 triangle, so its the same as multiplying by one?)??
\tan 30 = \dfrac{\text{BF}}{\text{AF}} \implies \text{AF} = \dfrac{\text{BF}}{\tan 30} = \dfrac{\frac{3}{2}a}{\tan 30}

What's the value of tan 30?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (156)
17.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (524)
59.34%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.38%

Watched Threads