Best Friend’s Mother Won’t Let Her Get Diagnosed

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My best friend seems to suffer from anxiety, and I don’t mean occasionally feeling nervous. I mean she will straight out cry if she gets even slightly embarrassed in public, having general anxiety attacks and she’s in general in a bad mental state. I study psychology as a warm up for when I start working on that degree, so I’ve said that she shows some warning signs of an anxiety disorder and that she should get it checked out.

The only problem is that her mother won’t let her get a professional diagnosis.

My best friend is genuinely suffering right now, and not only is her mother preventing her from getting a diagnosis and therefore treatment, she’s likely a major cause of it as well from the amount of pressure put on her.

Both me and my friend are 15. I don’t think she can wait until she’s 18 and can move out to get a diagnosis. What can we do? Is there even anything we can do?

Before you say ‘try reasoning with her mother’, I’ve tried my best, and it hasn’t worked. Her mother is of the mindset that if you’re not physically hurt then you have no reason to be upset, and doesn’t understand that while she is a tough woman, my best friend is not.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
She can get help at 16 without the input of her parent/s. You're entitled to confidentiality at the age of 16, so unless she's a risk to herself, her mother will not be informed.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
^ what they said. she can see her GP without her mom being present.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (183)
43.88%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (48)
11.51%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.91%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (88)
21.1%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (41)
9.83%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (24)
5.76%

Watched Threads