AS Level Failed and sixth form rejection... now what? Watch

savy01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been having a tough time for the past couple of years which has seen my grades in general drop... significantly, anyways due to that my results haven't looked too good this past year especially so it's not like I have a good academic history. My sixth form says that in order to attend year 13 the students must achieve a passing grade... I got 1 of my test papers back (a mock paper, thank God) and got a failing grade. Now I am pretty sure I failed ALL of my papers so I'm wondering what other sixth forms will accept me or if there's an alternative educational route I could take. the crap thing is I really want to go to university
keptinside
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is always hope
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
wxgmak
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can apply to other sixth forms but they’d probably ask you to retake year 12
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by savy01)
I have been having a tough time for the past couple of years which has seen my grades in general drop... significantly, anyways due to that my results haven't looked too good this past year especially so it's not like I have a good academic history. My sixth form says that in order to attend year 13 the students must achieve a passing grade... I got 1 of my test papers back (a mock paper, thank God) and got a failing grade. Now I am pretty sure I failed ALL of my papers so I'm wondering what other sixth forms will accept me or if there's an alternative educational route I could take. the crap thing is I really want to go to university
Why have you been failing?
Realistically do you think you could turn it round?
I am not sure they are allowed to do that any more.

Would you go to college and do BTEC?
What is it you want to study or have a career in?
savy01
Rep:
?
As in... redo the WHOLE of year 12 again or do something like, spend 3-6 months on it?
(Original post by wxgmak)
You can apply to other sixth forms but they’d probably ask you to retake year 12
savy01
Rep:
?
Well it's not really one reason I can pin it down to and explaining it would mean putting my life on the internet and I'm not about to do that but let's just say it reached the breaking point. Anyway, the career I want to go into is media/design/graphics which I know I can get into via other routes but everyone who says they didn't go to uni to get into the industry passed their A Levels at least. And to be honest I think I'd do better at BTEC. I'm only doing A-Level because the school my mum wanted me to go to only offers BTEC in 1 subject.
(Original post by 999tigger)
Why have you been failing?
Realistically do you think you could turn it round?
I am not sure they are allowed to do that any more.

Would you go to college and do BTEC?
What is it you want to study or have a career in?
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
Well it's not really one reason I can pin it down to and explaining it would mean putting my life on the internet and I'm not about to do that but let's just say it reached the breaking point. Anyway, the career I want to go into is media/design/graphics which I know I can get into via other routes but everyone who says they didn't go to uni to get into the industry passed their A Levels at least. And to be honest I think I'd do better at BTEC. I'm only doing A-Level because the school my mum wanted me to go to only offers BTEC in 1 subject.
So based on that and your level of self awareness I will draw the conclusion your results are a fair reflection and A levels arent for you.
If you know you can go via another route then do that. Look into an apprenticeship or maybe an art foundation course?

Its impossible to comment further because there is a lack of information. Colleges are where you normally do btec, they are also normally where you do access courses as well.

Art is a funny one because its almost impossible to do online due to the nature of teaching and supervision.

You should also go and see or contact a careers adviser at national careers as you might give them more information so they can give you some guidance on what your options are. At the moment you are saying it looks like the school are going to ask you to leave. I am not sure they can do that, but if you cant work out why your academic performance is poor, then you arent going to improve. Other options may be better for you.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your school might allow you to retake Year 12 from the beginning (yes, the whole year) but it sounds to me like you would be better off doing a BTEC in something like Art & Design or Graphic Design at a local college instead. You have left it a bit late to apply but they may still have vacancies, I would start phoning round on Monday. They will want to know details of your GCSE grades and will probably ask if you have a portfolio of art/design work?

People do go to Uni after studying BTECS so that would still be an option for you after the 2 years
savy01
Rep:
?
You clicked on and read my whole paragraph at around 5am just so you could call me a dumb shite?... wow, I like the effort.
(Original post by Josh.K71)
Haha dumb shiteeee
wxgmak
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As in... redo the WHOLE of year 12 again or do something like, spend 3-6 months on it?
Redo the whole thing but with different subjects. They’d ask you to drop the subjects you aren’t good at and take new ones
sarrrrrraaaa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
im experiencing the same problem I think in the long term its better to redo year 12 with different subjects you know u won't struggle as much with.

does anyone know how I would go about applying to other colleges at 17 after leaving year 12 though!!?? pls help thanks
savy01
Rep:
?
Yeah I’m think of that as well rn to be honest. Plus I’ve been thinking that colleges are like sixth forms when they’re completely different. So being a year above everyone isn’t really a difficulty because their will be multiple people of different ages. I’ve also been thinking of doing a foundation course because, for my subjects at least, no all foundation courses require qualifications.
(Original post by sarrrrrraaaa)
im experiencing the same problem I think in the long term its better to redo year 12 with different subjects you know u won't struggle as much with.

does anyone know how I would go about applying to other colleges at 17 after leaving year 12 though!!?? pls help thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish