Hiro2468
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Like what's the actual benefit? I've been told that it's unnecessary stress and that you could use that time to work on your other subjects.

What do you guys think?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hiro2468)
Like what's the actual benefit? I've been told that it's unnecessary stress and that you could use that time to work on your other subjects.

What do you guys think?
The EPQ is good for people that genuinely have an interest in a particular subject and want the opportunity to get some recognition for exploring it in depth, but lots of people only do it because they think they should and are therefore more likely to drop it after a few months. Not all unis particularly rate the EPQ but of those that do, some will make slightly reduced offers - like AAB without an EPQ or ABB with one.

Personally I would prefer to concentrate on 3 A levels without the added stress/work of an EPQ but that's just me. If you're applying to ultra competitive unis, they may like the fact that you have demonstrated a passion for something, which does not necessarily have to be linked to the subject you want to study at uni. But if you feel that you would struggle to come up with ideas for your EPQ, then it may not be the best plan for you.
mnnbv
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you are looking to apply to medicine, definitely do the EPQ.
Sheffield, Newcastle and some others will reduce your offer to AAB if you get an A or A* in the EPQ.
I spent one hour a week on my EPQ during one of my frees at school and got an A*. If you work at it consistently, it is not time consuming and lowkey pretty easy.
Also, it will give you something to talk about at your interviews.

If I were you, I would get a CGP guide on the EPQ and start doing it in summer. Some of my friends did it in their summer holiday and finished the project section within a week. Then at school, they did their meetings with the supervisors and filled in their e-portfolio.
It really isn't that time consuming.
_ap12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would do it but only if your doing 3 a levels there isn't much point if your already doing 4 a levels.As long as you do like 2 hours a week you will be fine . I just done it this year . Tbh i had loads of free time so it was fine it didn't really stress me out or anything like that.
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly for me, while it wasn't my favourite thing, I'd recommend it for some people. It gave me a lot to write about in my personal statement and talk about in interviews, helped me solidify which course I actually wanted to do (had applied to biomed and microbiology courses and it helped me choose micro), and if also got me lowered offers from Newcastle and Sheffield. It wasn't much added stress, just a bit of a nuisance tbh and the worst part for me was my supervisor was a total arse and completely useless.
jessblackburn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've just submitted mine, and I really enjoyed it. It can be a lot of work but no way near as much work as your other subjects. You can go a few weeks without having to do anything for it, and then a few weeks where you have to spend a few hours on it each week. It's only stressful if you let it build up and aren't organised enough.
Jamiiii
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
YES! Its definitely worth it, I got an A* in mine this year. Literally it took up my frees only in the September- December period and half my frees January- March. Its so interesting to do and so easy as well. Just do all your other work at home as homework. (This is easy in year 1 of Sixth Form). Plus it gives you an edge and its worth half an A level. Do it!
Zoe_H
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depending on what other subjects you do and who your teacher for it will be- my teacher rarely showed up, although I was lucky as there were a couple other EPQ teachers so I went to them for help if I needed it. Also it won't be too stressful if you dont leave it to the last minute to do, it will be especially useful if you are planning on going to university as it is the type of learning style you will do there- independent dissertations etc. so it can give you an idea of what to expect and prepare you a bit. at my school you can drop out up until a few months before it is due in, if this is the case at your school it might be an option to try it and see how you balance it and if you feel loke you cant do it then you could always drop out- again its up to you and how you work and what your school is like really
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
Thank you guys so much for replying! I'm doing Maths, Economics and German btw. I think I might do it (^_^ ) We're having an induction day soon so I'll get to see how it is.

Silly question but what exactly do you do during the EPQ course? I know that you write an essay about a topic you're interested in but does it have to be a topic related to your A Level choices? Can it be any topic, like something to do with politics? Because I'm afraid of writing something contraversal and the examiner getting offended and writing a U.
Zoe_H
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you guys so much for replying! I'm doing Maths, Economics and German btw. I think I might do it (^_^ ) We're having an induction day soon so I'll get to see how it is.

Silly question but what exactly do you do during the EPQ course? I know that you write an essay about a topic you're interested in but does it have to be a topic related to your A Level choices? Can it be any topic, like something to do with politics? Because I'm afraid of writing something contraversal and the examiner getting offended and writing a U.
It can be on anything you want but it cant be on something that you are getting marked for in another subject, for example you cant write a piece of music for coursework in music and then use it in your EPQ. I did A Level Psychology, English Language and RS and did my EPQ on looking at how the english examination system is really stressful- in an EPQ it is good to look at both sides of the arguement too so i wouldnt worry about them marking you down. ours was marked internally and then a couple were sent off to be moderated. the majority of the marks actually come from your planning and evidence of a log, your presentation and commentry/diary all the way through
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zoe_H)
It can be on anything you want but it cant be on something that you are getting marked for in another subject, for example you cant write a piece of music for coursework in music and then use it in your EPQ. I did A Level Psychology, English Language and RS and did my EPQ on looking at how the english examination system is really stressful- in an EPQ it is good to look at both sides of the arguement too so i wouldnt worry about them marking you down. ours was marked internally and then a couple were sent off to be moderated. the majority of the marks actually come from your planning and evidence of a log, your presentation and commentry/diary all the way through
Thank you so much! I'll find out what exam board my school is doing and I'll check out any revision guides I can use. Do you recommend any thing else? Also when is the due date for the essay? Is it basically that you write 1 essay for 2 years?
Zoe_H
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much! I'll find out what exam board my school is doing and I'll check out any revision guides I can use. Do you recommend any thing else? Also when is the due date for the essay? Is it basically that you write 1 essay for 2 years?
so basically it depends on what you want to do, some people do an artifact which is for example a model of something or a dance routine or what ever and then you can write a shortened essay of 1000-3000 words i think, i did the 5000 word essay and the first year for me was doing research, over all people tend to have 10+ resources that they quote in the essay and primary research such as questionnaires and interviews that they do themselves. throughout the process you make a log of all the things you do and change and when you do them and difficulties you face and how you over come problems etc. you get quite a lot of marks for that part and then you write the actual thing and i didnt do that til half way through the second year but some people start earlier or later but dont leave it too late or it will be really rushed and then you do a presentation on the journey of your project. Im not 100% sure if that is the way it is for all exam boards though. Your teachers should tell you all of this though hopefully but at my school it was quite disorganised and i wasnt sure what i was doing completely till the 2nd year so hope this helps
Zoe_H
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
also I'm not 100% sure when the due date is but most people were handing it in at easter sort of time
username4762440
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mnnbv)
If you are looking to apply to medicine, definitely do the EPQ.
Sheffield, Newcastle and some others will reduce your offer to AAB if you get an A or A* in the EPQ.
I spent one hour a week on my EPQ during one of my frees at school and got an A*. If you work at it consistently, it is not time consuming and lowkey pretty easy.
Also, it will give you something to talk about at your interviews.

If I were you, I would get a CGP guide on the EPQ and start doing it in summer. Some of my friends did it in their summer holiday and finished the project section within a week. Then at school, they did their meetings with the supervisors and filled in their e-portfolio.
It really isn't that time consuming.
There is a CGP guide on EPQ? If so, I cannot seem to find it.
mnnbv
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm pretty sure there is? Or perhaps it was the actual boards revision guide?
Sorry, I didnt use one, my friend did!
username4762440
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No problem! See, I am interested in doing an EPQ after my a-levels finish in a few days but my 6th form doesn't let students stay for 'year 14'. And I was looking to do it independently, which I am not sure is possible. However, I thought I could make a start on an EPQ and then email 6th forms near my area If they would let me do an EPQ with them. However, I really want to make a start on one. Would you mind terribly asking your friend what she used? I need to begin but I have no guidance from anyone so a guide would be useful.
Thank you ever so much. X
(Original post by mnnbv)
I'm pretty sure there is? Or perhaps it was the actual boards revision guide?
Sorry, I didnt use one, my friend did!
mnnbv
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...d3R5qH2FKshci3

It is this one above, good luck
username4762440
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
TSR did not let me rep you again lol, but thank you!! x
(Original post by mnnbv)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...d3R5qH2FKshci3

It is this one above, good luck
mnnbv
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
np haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (10)
20.83%
I'm not sure (2)
4.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (13)
27.08%
I have already dropped out (2)
4.17%
I'm not a current university student (21)
43.75%

Watched Threads