Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone doing? I don't find unit 4 that bad and can get an B quite comfortably. How are you revising all the equations in period 3 and group 4, there are so many!

ReputationRep:
    Occasionally I feel that unit 5 is easier than 4. But it's mostly memorising formulas in the first one.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any important things in unit four that they can point out to me...like things that one must die die know...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    functional groups, didnt know them for the jan exam and what do you know, they pop up in the first question.
    All organic is very important for A2 chemistry, if you learn that alone, you'd get an A easily, with a bit of knowledge of all other aspects. If you dont know organic, you will get MAX. a B.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me the must-know questions that always come in the exam (both unit4 and 5)? Like in Unit 4 learn Born-Haber cycles. I did 2 papers and it came up in both.

ReputationRep:
    Unit 4 isn't that hard to be honest..there are some cool notes here on TSR too. I'll be siting for Unit 5 this coming week..eek!!

ReputationRep:
    They're both OK. The Period 3 reactions are so tedious to learn though, as are the transition metal colours in Unit 5!

ReputationRep:
    unit 4 is extremely easy, but you have to be willing to do the learning, that's all. Unit 5--i'm sitting that this week..damn! unit 6--god be with us..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    They're both OK. The Period 3 reactions are so tedious to learn though, as are the transition metal colours in Unit 5!
    I'm way behind - I have made a decision not to learn period 3 reactions or Transition colours. How many questions could there possibly on those 2 topics? 10% of the marks? None of the work is that hard, it just that it takes time to memorise . And my memory is rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Unit 6 is actually just another paper for unit 5. Both of them look exactly the same to me. The hardest bit in unit 5 is not the colour of transition ions..it's the mechanisms..There are just so many of them, but once you've got an idea of what that's all about, it could become easier, but still, not the easiest. To be honest, most of the Chemistry units aren't that tough, unit 4 was lovely in january and so is unit 3.(and luckily i didn't have to resit unit 3 this time because it seemed to be extremely hard)

ReputationRep:
    could someone just tell me the basics of equilibria??? the Ka Kc Kp Kw and all these terms...i seem to not quite understand it...please...just tell me the important parts that are very important for an exam...thanks...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    honestly shungun i think the best way for u to understand it is not with a brief explanantion, i suggest looking on chemguide, they have a whole section on it, which'll explain it properly. if u have specific questions, i'd find it easier to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMIM)
    I'm way behind - I have made a decision not to learn period 3 reactions or Transition colours. How many questions could there possibly on those 2 topics? 10% of the marks? None of the work is that hard, it just that it takes time to memorise . And my memory is rubbish.
    That's sort of taking a huge gamble. You should at least learn any patterns there may be, if not the equations itself. Sometimes the paper doesn't have much, other times... it's like :eek:

Same goes for enthalpy/lattice definitions....

Example... Aluminium oxides = 3rd, therefore the oxide is 1.5 power (Al3O2)
    Sodium 1st, oxide is 0.5 = Na2O

Simple stuff like that.

Does anyone have any effective way of learning transition colours though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shungun)
    could someone just tell me the basics of equilibria??? the Ka Kc Kp Kw and all these terms...i seem to not quite understand it...please...just tell me the important parts that are very important for an exam...thanks...:confused:
    ka is the acid dissociation constant, and it's [H+][A-]/[HA] basically the same as Kc, but [H2O] is removed from denominator as it is in excess, thus assumed to remain relatively constant. For weak acids, ka = [H+]^2/[HA] since it is assumed that the anion and H+ ions are produced in equal concentrations. At 1/2 neutralisation point, ph=pka = -log[Ka]
    kc is the equilibrium constant, with the concentrations of reactants multiplied together and each term raised to a power equal to its stoichiometry in the equation of the reaction, divided by the concentrations of the reactants with the powers raised the same way. Solids and liquids are NOT included in either kc or kp equations.
    Kp is just like kc, but it only includes substances in the gas phase and instead of concentrations, we use partial pressures.
    kw is the ionic product of water and kw=[H+][OH-]
    kw is 1x10^-14 for water, so it can be used to find the concentration of H+ ions in order to be used in pH-related calculations.

mostly just practice doing these calculations involving the equilibria, and you'll be fine. Hope i helped.

ReputationRep:
    Man...

That pKa is seriously annoying. Is there a particular reason it's in there apart from just looks? It's not even used in calculations that much =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    That's sort of taking a huge gamble. You should at least learn any patterns there may be, if not the equations itself. Sometimes the paper doesn't have much, other times... it's like :eek:

Same goes for enthalpy/lattice definitions....

Example... Aluminium oxides = 3rd, therefore the oxide is 1.5 power (Al3O2)
    Sodium 1st, oxide is 0.5 = Na2O

Simple stuff like that.

Does anyone have any effective way of learning transition colours though?
    No I mean I will try to cram the units in - but i don't have time to learn equations off by heart or colours off by heart. My time would be better spent on learning other stuff.

As for learning stuff like colours and that, its just a questions of writing them out over and over. You will then forget most of the stuff next day. So you write them over and over again. The same for the next day - till it sticks in long term memory. The trouble is there are not enough days left for those of us with weak memories. I could kick myself - we get so much time but decide not to use it, then when the exams r here we try to cram. My brain was not built for cramming.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 8, 2008

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.