Turn on thread page Beta

Parking in a bay (not reversing) watch

ReputationRep:
    Had my liscence a few months now but parking drives me nuts, if I have to turn into a bay I find it pretty hard to actually get into the space, any tips?

I always seem to end up far to close to the car on my side, is it because I turn to early? Or maybe I stop too far away from the car on the left hand side of the bay before I reverse to straighten up?

I'll draw a paint pic if you don't understand ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Say the bay is on your left..as you drive up drive as wide as you can on the right and then turn left into the spot.

Depends how big your car is but the further away you can be from the spot before turning the easier it is to park..

ReputationRep:
    Or reverse -its easier quite a bit of the time.

ReputationRep:
    omg op i feel your pain

i always look for a space either side of two lol or one ahead i can go straight into..

I try just taking it nice and slow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caliowin)
    Or reverse -its easier quite a bit of the time.

lol tbh i havn't reverse parked since my test..or beetween 2 cars whilst i was learning, therefore i would be well freaked out too do so lol

ReputationRep:
    Try it, maybe practise in a quiet corner of a supermarket carpark. I've improved dramatically on my reverse bay parking.

Still not good at parallal park on a road though.

ReputationRep:
    Why is reversing into a bay so much easier than going forward? bugs the life out of me

ReputationRep:
    My instructor never taught me how to reverse park, so after I passed my test I went down to Morrisons car park late one night, and practised loads. At first, I was pretty pants - a couple of times I was that person in the supermarket car park who is in two spaces. But once I got the hang of it, I realised it's actually not that bad - much better than going in forwards!

If you really want to go in forwards though, take a really wide berth - drive on the other side of the lane to the space you're aiming for, then turn into it. If you're too close (ie driving on the left to turn into a space on the left) then you're going to be really really close to the parked cars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtired)
    Is this is the test?
    It can be - it depends if the test centre has the facilities (ie some bays in their car park). If they do, it counts as one of your two maneuvres (along with 'turn in the road'/'parallel park'/'reverse round a corner'). Mine didn't have the space, so it wasn't part of my test.

ReputationRep:
    I usually park diagonally in 2 spaces far away anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afc1886)
    Why is reversing into a bay so much easier than going forward? bugs the life out of me

you actually have more control of the car when you are reversing, as stupid as it sounds. i can reverse into a space a lot better than i can drive into one. i usually have to reposition when going forward, but i'm fine going in backwards.

(Original post by AMG)
    I usually park diagonally in 2 spaces far away anyway
    how selfish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)

how selfish.
    2 things

1. Its usually the furthest spot away surrounded by empty spaces literally
    2. is it not selfish when dings your door and drives of without telling you or leaving any info?

Happened too many occasions now..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    2 things

1. Its usually the furthest spot away surrounded by empty spaces literally
    2. is it not selfish when dings your door and drives of without telling you or leaving any info?

Happened too many occasions now..

it's illegal to park over 2 spaces. if a police person or a traffic cop comes along, you will get a fine. and i doubt those spaces stay empty for long.

and i've been parking in supermarket parking bays for 2 years now and touch wood, have never had any problems. you must be parking too close to other people. you'll probably find people 'ding' your car more because you use up two spaces, like you are someone who is too important to park next to anyone else. get a reality check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    it's illegal to park over 2 spaces. if a police person or a traffic cop comes along, you will get a fine. and i doubt those spaces stay empty for long.

and i've been parking in supermarket parking bays for 2 years now and touch wood, have never had any problems. you must be parking too close to other people. you'll probably find people 'ding' your car more because you use up two spaces, like you are someone who is too important to park next to anyone else. get a reality check.
    Not in most supermarket spaces it isnt

No its just dumb people flinging their doors open, prob my area thing...

i dont do it because i think im too important, i do it because i dont want door dings.,.....

the fine would probably work out cheaper to what ive spent on door dings :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    Not in most supermarket spaces it isnt

No its just dumb people flinging their doors open, prob my area thing...

i dont do it because i think im too important, i do it because i dont want door dings.,.....

nobody wants door 'dings' but what would happen if everyone parked over 2 bays, eh?

fool.

ReputationRep:
    but not everyone does :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    but not everyone does :rolleyes:

it's a good job really, otherwise everyone would be like you.

ReputationRep:
    Everything he says makes me think of a stereotypical BMW driver.

That and he would actually break the top-gear ****-o-meter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MilesTails)
    Everything he says makes me think of a stereotypical BMW driver.

That and he would actually break the top-gear ****-o-meter.
    it would just spin and spin before breaking :p:

ReputationRep:
    Do it SLOWLY - you have a lot more control.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.