Protest outside edexcel headquarters (a-level maths) Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
21st June, 2pm, London, outside Edexcel headquarters
join the protest & spread the word, we need numbers

why are we protesting? because we need some type of special consideration, too many things have gone wrong

as i'm sure you're all aware, all three papers have been leaked and edexcel have done nothing but dismiss it as a 'localised leak' and are simply 'in the process of investigation' just to make it look they're doing something, so it looks like they're in control
but reality they're CHOOSING TO IGNORE the fact that THE WHOLE OF PAPER 3 WAS LEAKED because so far they've only addressed the 2 blacked out questions
but people were selling the entire paper for £70 on twitter, all the questions were posted on several whatsapp group chats which then obviously got forwarded and shared WIDESPREAD on NUMEROUS PLATFORMS therefore it is most definitely NOT a localised leak ITS 2019 it doesnt take long to spread anything

they also have no way of knowing exactly who had access to the paper beforehand, they can identify the main ones but not every single one for reasons such as whatsapp's end to encryption or the fact that someone with the pictures could've just shown the screen to a bunch of people
and edexcel will have no idea who's seen it and who hasn't

now i'm not blaming edexcel for the leak, that was a security breach, however i AM blaming edexcel for not taking action. they were informed about it over 15 hours before the exam and they did NOTHING

paper 1 and 2 were NOTHING like the specimen papers let alone the textbooks, why make us buy such expensive textbooks endorsed by Pearson when they're not gonna reflect the exam??? also are we just gonna ignore the fact that they changed the spec and added things like parametric integration WHICH ISNT EVEN IN MOST TEXTBOOKS unless u have a more recent copy
the style of the exam threw a lot of us off, edexcel has failed to provide us with adequate resources to prepare us

paper 1 was too long for the time given even for the most able students so we rushed and made mistakes on questions we could normally answer. theres a difference between challenging questions and questions that we just dont have enough time to answer.
paper 2 was PARTICULARY UNREASONABLE. edexcel may say that it was to 'differentiate A and A* students' however most papers have a few questions that everyone can do and then it gets progressively harder but here there was NOT EVEN ONE B/C level question on that paper, even question 1 was hard and personally i couldnt fully complete a single question, it was an absolute shambles.
on top of this, edexcel had the audacity to COPY AND PASTE A QUESTION from a 2014 ial paper, i mean why make a new spec if you're gonna steal questions from the old??? this gave an ADVANTAGE to those who had already done this question as they could just zoom through it, giving them more time for the rest of the paper, also the fact that it was 11 MARKS for a whole question they've already done!
and as if this isnt enough, techniques and content taught in FURTHER MATHS assisted in answering some of the questions, giving fm students the upperhand, as if they dont already skew the grade boundaries enough.

personally paper 1 demotivated me to work for paper 2, and paper 2 made me lose the will to live to do paper 3. im predicted an A but there is no way i got above an E and this is case for many people, there's multiple petitions going round, one of which 15000 people have signed so far

OUR GRADES WILL NOT REFLECT OUR ABILITY IF EDEXCEL DOESNT DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS
and what can they do? well, resitting paper 3 isnt ideal for those who worked hard and did well on the first one also many people are away on holiday, lowering the grade boundaries will only favour those who cheated and didnt get caught plus they can only lower it to a certain extent, getting predicted grades is unfair because some people sucked up to their teachers to get predicted higher, ignoring paper 3 when setting grade boundaries wont favour those who were relying on stats and mechanics to pull their grade up, getting target grades isnt an option for those who were set lower target grades and have worked to acheive higher.

the only FAIR THING TO DO is to consider each student individually, thats the only way edexcel can make it up to us, a level maths should NOT be the reason someone cant go to uni
WHOEVER DID NOT ACHIEVE THE GRADE THEY NEED IN MATHS TO BE ACCEPTED INTO THEIR FIRM SHOULD GET THAT GRADE
this would be fair as they would still have to meet the grades in the other two subjects of their own accord, so if they havent worked hard it will show in their other grades
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The system is fair. Grade boundaries are set by how people performed. So if it was as bad as you say then the boundaries will be lower.

In the future don’t let one paper demotivate you for the next one and instead use it as motivation to work harder/learn from your mistakes.
JJJJJAAAAMES
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Dont be silly
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I thought the a question was taken from a further maths textbook was in Edexcel gcse maths?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
Grow up?
Only paper 3 was leaked. Stop lying.
It was localised.
You say they did nothing when in fact they visited and investigated all connected centres, then identified the one which was at fault.
They mark you against your peers, something you seem to have difficulty comprehending.

Just LOL.
WHOEVER DID NOT ACHIEVE THE GRADE THEY NEED IN MATHS TO BE ACCEPTED INTO THEIR FIRM SHOULD GET THAT GRADE

This is why stem students, should do a non stem subject as well otherwise your logic and reasoning skills get seriously messed up.

See you on the news. Be sure to be carrying an entitlement banner with TSR on it so we can recognise you.
Katana0703
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How many people do you have as of now? Just curious to see if you’ll even be noticed at all...
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Dunya
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Although it's disheartening for the students that worked hard, examination offices aren't stupid. They have regulations placed for incidents like this as well as years of experience.

It'll be easy to catch out students who got a C and D for the first two papers but an A* for paper 3. Replicated methods from the mark scheme can be spotted and lmao to the kid who sold the paper for £70 on twitter, should've made it £100 to help him/her pay off however much he/she'll be charged.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
op is a dumbass and doesn't understand how grade boundaries are set
Gent2324
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mpaprika)
I thought the a question was taken from a further maths textbook was in Edexcel gcse maths?
what question? just curious
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh I don't do Edexcel but apparently in paper 3 a question was taken from an aqa further maths textbook
(Original post by Gent2324)
what question? just curious
zglu26
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
whose going?
(Original post by Anonymous)
21st June, 2pm, London, outside Edexcel headquarters
join the protest & spread the word, we need numbers

why are we protesting? because we need some type of special consideration, too many things have gone wrong

as i'm sure you're all aware, all three papers have been leaked and edexcel have done nothing but dismiss it as a 'localised leak' and are simply 'in the process of investigation' just to make it look they're doing something, so it looks like they're in control
but reality they're CHOOSING TO IGNORE the fact that THE WHOLE OF PAPER 3 WAS LEAKED because so far they've only addressed the 2 blacked out questions
but people were selling the entire paper for £70 on twitter, all the questions were posted on several whatsapp group chats which then obviously got forwarded and shared WIDESPREAD on NUMEROUS PLATFORMS therefore it is most definitely NOT a localised leak ITS 2019 it doesnt take long to spread anything

they also have no way of knowing exactly who had access to the paper beforehand, they can identify the main ones but not every single one for reasons such as whatsapp's end to encryption or the fact that someone with the pictures could've just shown the screen to a bunch of people
and edexcel will have no idea who's seen it and who hasn't

now i'm not blaming edexcel for the leak, that was a security breach, however i AM blaming edexcel for not taking action. they were informed about it over 15 hours before the exam and they did NOTHING

paper 1 and 2 were NOTHING like the specimen papers let alone the textbooks, why make us buy such expensive textbooks endorsed by Pearson when they're not gonna reflect the exam??? also are we just gonna ignore the fact that they changed the spec and added things like parametric integration WHICH ISNT EVEN IN MOST TEXTBOOKS unless u have a more recent copy
the style of the exam threw a lot of us off, edexcel has failed to provide us with adequate resources to prepare us

paper 1 was too long for the time given even for the most able students so we rushed and made mistakes on questions we could normally answer. theres a difference between challenging questions and questions that we just dont have enough time to answer.
paper 2 was PARTICULARY UNREASONABLE. edexcel may say that it was to 'differentiate A and A* students' however most papers have a few questions that everyone can do and then it gets progressively harder but here there was NOT EVEN ONE B/C level question on that paper, even question 1 was hard and personally i couldnt fully complete a single question, it was an absolute shambles.
on top of this, edexcel had the audacity to COPY AND PASTE A QUESTION from a 2014 ial paper, i mean why make a new spec if you're gonna steal questions from the old??? this gave an ADVANTAGE to those who had already done this question as they could just zoom through it, giving them more time for the rest of the paper, also the fact that it was 11 MARKS for a whole question they've already done!
and as if this isnt enough, techniques and content taught in FURTHER MATHS assisted in answering some of the questions, giving fm students the upperhand, as if they dont already skew the grade boundaries enough.

personally paper 1 demotivated me to work for paper 2, and paper 2 made me lose the will to live to do paper 3. im predicted an A but there is no way i got above an E and this is case for many people, there's multiple petitions going round, one of which 15000 people have signed so far

OUR GRADES WILL NOT REFLECT OUR ABILITY IF EDEXCEL DOESNT DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS
and what can they do? well, resitting paper 3 isnt ideal for those who worked hard and did well on the first one also many people are away on holiday, lowering the grade boundaries will only favour those who cheated and didnt get caught plus they can only lower it to a certain extent, getting predicted grades is unfair because some people sucked up to their teachers to get predicted higher, ignoring paper 3 when setting grade boundaries wont favour those who were relying on stats and mechanics to pull their grade up, getting target grades isnt an option for those who were set lower target grades and have worked to acheive higher.

the only FAIR THING TO DO is to consider each student individually, thats the only way edexcel can make it up to us, a level maths should NOT be the reason someone cant go to uni
this would be fair as they would still have to meet the grades in the other two subjects of their own accord, so if they havent worked hard it will show in their other grades
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
lol, good luck
dasda
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm in year 12. This shi* is too funny. Good luck to all you out there
Last edited by dasda; 4 weeks ago
BeaBramble
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Dunya I don't think it was the answers that got circulated online, just the questions, so the examiners won't be seeing replicated methods from the mark scheme. Agree it's easy to spot those who do poorly in P1 and P2 and then have a brilliant P3, a bit more tricky with those who are around the B for the first two and then pull up to an A. Depending on how many people got hold of the leaked paper, the grade boundaries may get skewed upwards and that's what they are worried about. I'm just glad that's not our exam board; it's a mess whichever way you look at it.
Last edited by BeaBramble; 4 weeks ago
student_2000
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don`t condone your way of thinking/action but people saying that they should just accept this and move on are probably the one that cheated.
How is this system fair when people can buy 2 years of hard work for £70 lmao
zglu26
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
some people (like me) are better at applied maths so difficult for them to look at it like that
(Original post by BeaBramble)
Dunya I don't think it was the answers that got circulated online, just the questions, so the examiners won't be seeing replicated methods from the mark scheme. Agree it's easy to spot those who do poorly in P1 and P2 and then have a brilliant P3, a bit more tricky with those who are around the B for the first two and then pull up to an A. Depending on how many people got hold of the leaked paper, the grade boundaries may get skewed upwards and that's what they are worried about. I'm just glad that's not our exam board; it's a mess whichever way you look at it.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
The system is fair. Grade boundaries are set by how people performed. So if it was as bad as you say then the boundaries will be lower.

In the future don’t let one paper demotivate you for the next one and instead use it as motivation to work harder/learn from your mistakes.
I fail to see why so many A level students don't understand this.
BeaBramble
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by zglu26)
some people (like me) are better at applied maths so difficult for them to look at it like that
Yes, I know that is also true although I guess not many people would have a gap of as many as four grades between papers. Going back to my conclusion it's all a b****y mess....
student_2000
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I fail to see why people don`t understand that students perform better when they have done the paper before the exam, so people who would normally score low marks score higher marks hence increasing the grade boundaries
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
I fail to see why so many A level students don't understand this.
Last edited by student_2000; 4 weeks ago
PAKINDIA 2.0
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good luck, we wont be hearing from you ever again, it will be only you, and unless you are a ONE MAN SHOW (like me) they will get their AK-47 and shoot you and bury you alive
they are heartless scums
but you are a mindless scum
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads