Protest outside edexcel headquarters (a-level maths) Watch

NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by student_2000)
I fail to see why people don`t understand that students perform better when they have done the paper before the exam, so people who would normally score low marks score higher marks hence increasing the grade boundaries
Given the number of people complaining, it isn't hard to deduce that the effect the leak has on grade boundaries is going to be negligible. Also there are steps in place for these circumstances. A few people cheated and even if they get away with it; it won't affect the grade boundaries.
student_2000
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know where you are coming from but how would you know only a few people cheated?
The only point I can see why edexcel isnt making everyone resit this paper is that roughly 60 000 students take this exam so it would be too costly.

Hopefully <1% of this students have cheated then it wouldnt really make a a difference if edexcel also disqualifies the students in centres cought distributing the papers.
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
Given the number of people complaining, it isn't hard to deduce that the effect the leak has on grade boundaries is going to be negligible. Also there are steps in place for these circumstances. A few people cheated and even if they get away with it; it won't affect the grade boundaries.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
I don`t condone your way of thinking/action but people saying that they should just accept this and move on are probably the one that cheated.
How is this system fair when people can buy 2 years of hard work for £70 lmao
Will you be protesting then?
What is it you think you can achieve?
Or the people making comment could be those with some common sense who can keep things in proportion and realise the effect on them will minimal to non existent?
Actually rather than buy 2 years work , assuming the person has been identified then all those who paid for the paper are very likely to be caught and disqualified. Shouldnt be hard especially with the police being involved.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
I know where you are coming from but how would you know only a few people cheated?
The only point I can see why edexcel isnt making everyone resit this paper is that roughly 60 000 students take this exam so it would be too costly.

Hopefully <1% of this students have cheated then it wouldnt really make a a difference if edexcel also disqualifies the students in centres cought distributing the papers.
Or their investigations have given them a better understanding of what happened, who the main culprits are and the extent of the distribution of said paper. Whats the point of making everyone resit if it was only localised?

Why should innocent students in those centres be penalised if they had nothing to do with the leak? That makes sense....
student_2000
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Localised? man you probably haven`t seen twitter or think social media don`t exist. I think people are forgetting about the fact that its impossible to track the people who saw the paper since its very easy to share and delete photos like nothing happened.

Thought fair point, students who didn`t cheat in said centres should`t be penalized but this will allow some student to get away with which will inevitably happen regardless.
(Original post by 999tigger)
Or their investigations have given them a better understanding of what happened, who the main culprits are and the extent of the distribution of said paper. Whats the point of making everyone resit if it was only localised?

Why should innocent students in those centres be penalised if they had nothing to do with the leak? That makes sense....

I made that comment exactly knowing that i can`t do anything to change thing as they stand hence why I don`t condone his behavior. I think we will just have to trust the authorities and believed the are doing a thorough job and not just brushing it off arresting few people and calling it a day.
Thought how would you know this will have a minimal effect on students? For example if someone who didnt cheat was like borderline A or A* (or even few marks above ) but because of higher grade boundaries due to students who cheated and got away the students will get A or B. That would be really upsetting since that means the 2 years of hard work didnt pay off.
Will you be protesting then?
What is it you think you can achieve?
Or the people making comment could be those with some common sense who can keep things in proportion and realise the effect on them will minimal to non existent?
Actually rather than buy 2 years work , assuming the person has been identified then all those who paid for the paper are very likely to be caught and disqualified. Shouldnt be hard especially with the police being involved.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
Localised? man you probably haven`t seen twitter or think social media don`t exist. I think people are forgetting about the fact that its impossible to track the people who saw the paper since its very easy to share and delete photos like nothing happened.

Thought fair point, students who didn`t cheat in said centres should`t be penalized but this will allow some student to get away with which will inevitably happen regardless.

I made that comment exactly knowing that i can`t do anything to change thing as they stand hence why I don`t condone his behavior. I think we will just have to trust the authorities and believed the are doing a thorough job and not just brushing it off arresting few people and calling it a day.
Thought how would you know this will have a minimal effect on students? For example if someone who didnt cheat was like borderline A or A* (or even few marks above ) but because of higher grade boundaries due to students who cheated and got away the students will get A or B. That would be really upsetting since that means the 2 years of hard work didnt pay off.
Because they have experience in marking millions of papers over decades. It will have minimal effect because they are the ones who already know how the issue started and along with the police will be able to identify who the paper was distributed to. They also have the fallback of being able to monitor grade boundaries and adjust if needed. The exam board are in a better position than you to know what went on and what the likely impact will be.
student_2000
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So what make you think you know more than them?
Preaching how faboulous of a system they have and how expert they are to find cheater which doesnt occur as often in other exam boards( and shouldnt happen with their years of experience of papers being leaked).

im not trying to have a go at you but my point is that no matter how hard they work people will still get away with cheating.
Because they have experience in marking millions of papers over decades. It will have minimal effect because they are the ones who already know how the issue started and along with the police will be able to identify who the paper was distributed to. They also have the fallback of being able to monitor grade boundaries and adjust if needed. The exam board are in a better position than you to know what went on and what the likely impact will be.
richageorge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
https://twitter.com/EdexcelP
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.79%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.48%
No I am happy with my course choice (453)
58.83%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.9%

Watched Threads