The Student Room Group

Unappreciative parents

Anyone else deal with parents who don't seem to really care about you? I've achieved so much and even though I'm 20 rn and shouldn't need to want my parents approval, nothing I do ever warrants any pride from them. They're just so uninvolved, even when I was in highschool they never came to my parents evenings, or award ceremonies or events that I was apart of. I'd get top marks and tell them and all I'd get is ok or my dad would go as far as ignoring me. I don't know why, it's always been like this and I can't help but compare my parents with my friends' parents. They all seem so proud of them and they do so much for them and mine are nothing like that and it makes me really upset. It's father's Day today as well so maybe this is bringing up some confusing feelings as I'm watching everyone post about how grateful they are for their parents and I can't help but feel so lonely because my dad was never that person for me :/ I also feel like my parents are never as involved in my life as they are with my brothers who are of similar age (23 and 19). They paid for their driving lessons, first car, insurance, they support them for college and job interviews. They give them money without them even asking, they always buy them things and they never forget their birthdays. I should add that my brother's aren't very "successful" shall we call it. They both dropped out of education, one has no job and the other is job hopping and has racked up alot of debt that my dad has continued to pay off, I'm the only one who's in uni, with a part time job and a regular volunteering role and I'm struggling to pay for accomodation and food because my parents don't offer any help and my loan is miniscule, I can't even drive because I can't afford it and my parents haven't even offered to pay for it like they did my brother's, but Im still paying for everything myself and trying to save money while pushing myself to get consistent A's and do well in everything I'm involved in. They never ask how my exams went, I had an internship interview on Friday that I told them about any chance I had (it's a really big deal to me and it's such a big company too) and they didn't even say good luck when I left that morning. My brother had a job interview at a car dealership and my parents took him out to pay for a new suit for him to wear. I just don't know why they don't care? I probably sound so bitter but it's so hard seeing how they treat me compared to my brothers.
You’re able to do things. They know you are stable, and think that you don’t need the support like your brothers apparently do. Hence less involvement. If it is an issue, have a long chat with them.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone else deal with parents who don't seem to really care about you? I've achieved so much and even though I'm 20 rn and shouldn't need to want my parents approval, nothing I do ever warrants any pride from them. They're just so uninvolved, even when I was in highschool they never came to my parents evenings, or award ceremonies or events that I was apart of. I'd get top marks and tell them and all I'd get is ok or my dad would go as far as ignoring me. I don't know why, it's always been like this and I can't help but compare my parents with my friends' parents. They all seem so proud of them and they do so much for them and mine are nothing like that and it makes me really upset. It's father's Day today as well so maybe this is bringing up some confusing feelings as I'm watching everyone post about how grateful they are for their parents and I can't help but feel so lonely because my dad was never that person for me :/ I also feel like my parents are never as involved in my life as they are with my brothers who are of similar age (23 and 19). They paid for their driving lessons, first car, insurance, they support them for college and job interviews. They give them money without them even asking, they always buy them things and they never forget their birthdays. I should add that my brother's aren't very "successful" shall we call it. They both dropped out of education, one has no job and the other is job hopping and has racked up alot of debt that my dad has continued to pay off, I'm the only one who's in uni, with a part time job and a regular volunteering role and I'm struggling to pay for accomodation and food because my parents don't offer any help and my loan is miniscule, I can't even drive because I can't afford it and my parents haven't even offered to pay for it like they did my brother's, but Im still paying for everything myself and trying to save money while pushing myself to get consistent A's and do well in everything I'm involved in. They never ask how my exams went, I had an internship interview on Friday that I told them about any chance I had (it's a really big deal to me and it's such a big company too) and they didn't even say good luck when I left that morning. My brother had a job interview at a car dealership and my parents took him out to pay for a new suit for him to wear. I just don't know why they don't care? I probably sound so bitter but it's so hard seeing how they treat me compared to my brothers.

Original post by ThunderBeard
You’re able to do things. They know you are stable, and think that you don’t need the support like your brothers apparently do. Hence less involvement. If it is an issue, have a long chat with them.

Probably but even then that's not a very good excuse to not wish the Op good luck or pay for some of his expenses when he is not earning that much.

Both my parents went to Oxford, sister went to Cambridge... i went to a well respected top RG uni, my parents still think despite getting top grades at A-level I somehow should have done better.

It happens, parents sometimes have unrealistically high expectations
It’s a poor excuse, I admit. But occasionally parents do think like that and I had to explain it to my parents, how I felt left out, for them to realise what happened. I’m just explaining my own experience.
Original post by Anagh
Probably but even then that's not a very good excuse to not wish the Op good luck or pay for some of his expenses when he is not earning that much.
Reply 5
I think that even parents are flawed human beings at the end of the day and they can have their reasons. I have also struggled with my relationship and I am an only child. But, I have always seen that the more I keep my feelings bottled up, the worst it becomes. So, nowadays I confront them if I don't appreciate some behaviour on their part. You don't need to be aggressive otherwise it turns into a fight. It would be best to think about what you are going to say to them and talk to them calmly and earnestly. I feel that when it comes to friends and familes, talking about issues is the only way to resolve it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending