How to know whether to use Fleming's left hand or right hand rule?

Watch
sophier59
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I always get confused between the two as i dont know the conditions for each rule. Ive seen some questions that look so similar so i use the same rule on both but its always one and then the other? please help the unit 4 exam is tomorrow morning
Aryan3031
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
left hand rule is concerned with current carrying wire being placed in a magnetic field
right hand rule is concerned with field lines around a current carrying wire given the direction of flow
in other words if they ask u to draw magnetic field lines around a current carrying wire, it will most probably be right hand rule
if they want u to state which way something moves, it will most probably be left hand rule
sophier59
Rep:
?
Name:  IMG_1601.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  261.9 KB
thanks for replying so quickly! in the question above it asks to explain whether the current will provide a force that increases the speed of the conductor. in the mark scheme theyve used both rules to show force is to the left. what would be the reason they used RHR if LHR tells you what you need to know?
Aryan3031
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
is this a level?
sophier59
Rep:
?
yes
Coolkitkat23
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
this still comes into physics in a-level! im not suprised but i got confused with the two at gcse
iBearHQ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I only do GCSEs but left hand rule is to do with the motor effect whereas right hand rule is to do with the generator effect. With LHR, you're normally trying to find the direction of motion.
sophier59
Rep:
?
yeah i didnt have to do it for GCSE sooo im confused as heck lmao
(Original post by Coolkitkat23)
this still comes into physics in a-level! im not suprised but i got confused with the two at gcse
sophier59
Rep:
?
thats great thank you. also for LHR is it motion/force? and so right hand is for finding direction of current?

(Original post by iBearHQ)
I only do GCSEs but left hand rule is to do with the motor effect whereas right hand rule is to do with the generator effect. With LHR, you're normally trying to find the direction of motion.
iBearHQ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sophier59)
thats great thank you. also for LHR is it motion/force? and so right hand is for finding direction of current?
Well the question can ask you to work out either motion, field or current using either right or left hand rule - it just depends on the two values that they are give you.
Coolkitkat23
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
you'll be fine
(Original post by sophier59)
yeah i didnt have to do it for GCSE sooo im confused as heck lmao
ThunderBeard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Fleming's left-hand rule is used for electric motors, while Fleming's right-hand rule is used for electric generators
sophier59
Rep:
?
okay thats great thank you!
(Original post by iBearHQ)
Well the question can ask you to work out either motion, field or current using either right or left hand rule - it just depends on the two values that they are give you.
sophier59
Rep:
?
thank you !
(Original post by Coolkitkat23)
you'll be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads