How useful is a Biology degree? Watch

username4538836
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have heard many people say that a biology degree isn't very helpful and is basically a waste. Why do people say this? I am interested in doing a biology degree as I love the subject, but don't really know how useful it would be after university.
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there just wanted to say there is absolutely no problem with doing a biology degree.I saw yesterday you are thinking of Oxford.When my son went to the open day there I was amazed at the different jobs graduates went into everything except Biology it seemed.There are drawbacks if you actually want to have a career in biology in that in order to make good money you have to get quite far up the career path and it is highly competitive.If you love what you are doing you may be happy enough with the low pay! Son determined to pursue this path and is now doing a Phd.He always had people saying why don't you be a doctor with those brains but they are now being used for Conservation which is fairly pressing right now!
Go along to the open days July 3rd and 4th and find out more.Make sure you go to subject talk.Lots of useful tips about interviews etc.Hope this helps.
(Original post by theworld223)
I have heard many people say that a biology degree isn't very helpful and is basically a waste. Why do people say this? I am interested in doing a biology degree as I love the subject, but don't really know how useful it would be after university.
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You'll be fine, most STEM degree dont really offer a direct job in the field barring med ect but Bio is defo the least useful for job prospects, since the field is lacking. Teaching and doing a job that just needs a STEM degree of any sort, would be your best bets, were as other STEM degree, like chem you can maybe get into the field( which has a few more jobs), but thats still a maybe.

At my UNI and probably all, Bio is also the easier stem, which is a good thing. ( trust me you dont wanna spend a **** ton of time learning chem or Harder stem subject just to get an 2:1 ; or best case first ). Do what you like TBH, UNI and your degree subject gets very hard around and after second year, and most people find it harder learning hard stem topic, when they have little care about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads