The Student Room Group

Top up degree and previous study

Hi , years ago I had student funding for an undergraduate degree but dropped out in my 2nd year. A few years later I completed a 2 year foundation degree which was self-funded and would now like to do a distant learning top-up degree course for 1 year which will turn my qualification into a BA degree. My question is will I be able to receive student finance for this course or is the calculation the same as if it were an undergraduate degree.

Thank you
Original post by Sunshine23
Hi , years ago I had student funding for an undergraduate degree but dropped out in my 2nd year. A few years later I completed a 2 year foundation degree which was self-funded and would now like to do a distant learning top-up degree course for 1 year which will turn my qualification into a BA degree. My question is will I be able to receive student finance for this course or is the calculation the same as if it were an undergraduate degree.

Thank you

Hi there,

Based on the information you have provided, you would not be entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan for a top up course, as we do need to take in to account self funded previous study as well as years you have received student finance.

Are there any compelling personal reasons as to why you had to drop out of your previous course?

Thanks, Ashley.
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Ashley
Hi there,

Based on the information you have provided, you would not be entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan for a top up course, as we do need to take in to account self funded previous study as well as years you have received student finance.

Are there any compelling personal reasons as to why you had to drop out of your previous course?

Thanks, Ashley.

Hello, I’m pretty confused now as I got approved for the tuition fee loan and have payments scheduled. Is this a mistake by SFE? Or is there some sort of other calculation which may have been used? Also no compelling personal reasons which I have evidence for.
Hello, I’m pretty confused now as I got approved for the tuition fee loan and have payments scheduled. Is this a mistake by SFE? Or is there some sort of other calculation which may have been used? Also no compelling personal reasons which I have evidence for.

Hi,

Will the top up course be full time or part time?

Regards, Duncan
Reply 4
Hello, it’s through distance/online learning as one year classed as full time rather than the two year part time route.
Hello, it’s through distance/online learning as one year classed as full time rather than the two year part time route.

Can you please confirm the name of the course and the name of the education provider you'll be studying with?

Regards, Duncan
Reply 6
Glyndwr university BA Childcare, welfare and education level 6 top up
Glyndwr university BA Childcare, welfare and education level 6 top up

Hi there,

I have checked your course details and can only see the full time 1 year version, we don't seem to have the distance learning course on our database. If the course is a top up then there is different calculation that are worked out but this is if your study full time and not distance learning. Are you able to send us a message on Facebook or Twitter to be able to look into this further for you.

Thanks, Erin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending