anythinggoes1999
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
One question I may get is ' why do you want to work in investments'

Can I talk about how I want to help other people manage their finances because I grew up in a household where my parents were irresponsible with their money or would that sound too fake/cliched/unprofessional?
jojo456
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It’s not cliched and a unique point, but you have to spin it properly to keep it from sounding bizarre. Rather than say because “my parents were irresonsible with money,” say something a long the lines of, “I want to work in investments because I want to be able to give people reasoned and hollistic advice about their finances. I know that sounds very genereic but I can’t deny it as a motivation of mine because I’ve actually seen first hand the deteriment, poor financial management can cause on a family. As much as I admire and adore my parents, I cant deny their irresponabiltiy with money. Having to go to school with no coat in the winter because we had no money is one of a few expierences which taught me the importance of a persons finances, and I want to be able to reflect those teachings onto my future clients and help them realise their investments.”

Obviously the example is made up but maybe think of something that you had to go through as a result of you parents, what you learned from t and how that will benefit you while you are working or how it contributes to your motivations. Dont memorise a script and remember key points and practice expressing them in different ways so you can perform eloquently and not robotic. Good luck!
Last edited by jojo456; 2 years ago
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
also bring in the competencies you possess that are useful to the role. whilst helping others is a motivation.. as an interviewer i want to know why you'd be good for the role. are you disciplined, can you work with a team?, are you highly adaptable to new situations?, are you good at listening and digesting information quickly?, are you effective at communication? - and what i really want you to do is demonstrate how you are all of these things, using real life examples.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.21%
No I am happy with my choice (116)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads