University Watch

Millia234
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
If I go to universities like soas or goldsmith and if I get a good grade at the end of my economics degree, would I be able to apply for universities like Exeter, Warwick etc for my masters?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Millia234)
If I go to universities like soas or goldsmith and if I get a good grade at the end of my economics degree, would I be able to apply for universities like Exeter, Warwick etc for my masters?
Yes of course.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
NickB54
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes, definitely.

Point 1: SOAS and Goldsmiths are good universities and are both part of the University of London. I know that people say that the reputation of SOAS has been falling over recent years, but I wouldn't trust league tables all that much. For example, the latest Guardian league table ranks Nottingham Trent 12th in the UK (two places ahead of Glasgow) and King's College London 63rd (sandwiched between De Montfort and Liverpool John Moores). Clearly this league table is just useless. I would say SOAS has a much better reputation than Goldsmiths if those are your choices.

Point 2: What is going to matter to academics looking at your postgraduate applications is how well you did in your degree, not where you did it. Going to a really prestigious university is impressive to people outside the world of academia, but within the field they can see through all that. There are graduate students and academics at the most prestigious universities (e.g. Oxford) with degrees from the least prestigious universities (e.g. Wolverhampton). With a 2.1 from SOAS or Goldsmiths you will easily get into Exeter or Warwick. With a 1st from SOAS or Goldsmiths, or even a very good 2.1, excellent references, and a compelling research proposal, you could get into Oxford or Cambridge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (70)
14.14%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (76)
15.35%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
18.99%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (196)
39.6%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (26)
5.25%
No particular grades needed (33)
6.67%