Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When will I be able to get an iPhone like a normal contract, with any tariff, and not have to pay £200+ aswell as however much it is a month??

I've wanted an iPhone long before they were released, and I really didn't think I still wouldn't have one by now, but can't afford to just buy one from eBay cos I have a contract phone atm, so I'm already paying £35 a month, and I'm not gonna go with 02, as for a start I don't like 02 anyway, but secondly I'm not gonna give them all that money, it's ludicrous!

ReputationRep:
    Far too late to do anything now, you chance was when it was 169 quid then you could unlocked it to any network. Now theyve ran out and waiting for the new iphone to come out ..

ebay is all like 250 quid now hmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    Far too late to do anything now, you chance was when it was 169 quid then you could unlocked it to any network. Now theyve ran out and waiting for the new iphone to come out ..

ebay is all like 250 quid now hmmm
    That was still on contract though wasn't it?

ReputationRep:
    It was, but with the iphone you don't sign up for the contract in store. You buy the phone in store, then sign up for the contract via itunes. Because of this, you can hack it before you sign up for the contract, and thus be able to use any sim (PAYG or contract) in it.

However, as AMG said, apple are expected to announce a new iPhone soon (tomorrow).
    So the current version of the iPhone should be a bit cheaper to get on ebay and the like.

ReputationRep:
    Like WelshBlueBird and AMG stated, the new 3G iPhone is set for it's debut tomorrow, it may be a while before it's available in the UK.

Financial Times: iPhone 2 to Be Sold "at Significantly Lower Prices"
    http://gizmodo.com/5014252/financial...y-lower-prices

ReputationRep:
    If you know someone travelling to the middle east or somethig e.g- Dubai, it's better if you get it from there. Electronics are usually cheaper, and you can haggle.

Beware of buying an unlocked ipone though, as when you connect it to your computer it is likely to get blocked by Apple (this happened to my brother.) However, you can always unlock it again due to all the hackers around these days.

ReputationRep:
    I somewhat doubt the iPhone will be cheaper in the middle east, especially since it's not even officially available there yet. Since Apple tightly controls the distribution channel, it's not like you can get them wholesale, so any iPhones in Dubai will have been bought at retail (likely in the US) and shipped out there, thus expensive. And don't forget that you legally have to pay import duty when bringing it back to the UK, and that unlocking your iPhone voids the warranty.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the iPhone isn't very good, either... tbh, I think when you can get it cheap enough there will be better phones out there. However, your choice of course.

I don't have a clue when you'll be able to get it, though, so sorry if this post is a bit useless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vykeera)
    Apparently the iPhone isn't very good, either...
    According to who? The interwebs are full of glowing reviews, and basically everybody I know who has one loves it. The main complaint was always that it was just a bit expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snu)
    According to who? The interwebs are full of glowing reviews, and basically everybody I know who has one loves it. The main complaint was always that it was just a bit expensive.
    According to the people in the phone shop I've started working for... anyway, that's why I said apparently. Apparently a lot of people with them, round here at least, have had trouble with them. What sort of trouble I don't know - it might just be understanding how to use them as opposed to the phone itself - but I just thought I'd mention it. My main point of that when the phone gets cheap enough to use there'll probably be better phones out there, I think, still stands.

ReputationRep:
    smartphone wise its not good...as a fashion item its brilliant..well it was lol..like everything in fashion when everyone else has one its out of date

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snu)
    Glowing reviews? The i-phone has its fair amount of flaws (just like all phones) and too be honest, isn't worth the money. Many people just buy it becuase its "Apple," and yes it looks nice but there are better phones on the market.

Some of its flaws: 2 megapixal camera (what a shame compared to the sony erricson's phone with a 3.2 megapixel camera that has been on the market for a while), no video recorder (but i think theres a hack for this now,) the battery is in built - i assume you have to send it back off to Apple to be replaced, i dont think it's 3g (but i reckon the new one is)

Well those were some of the flaws for the original i-phone, but as there should be a new one sometime soon i'm sure it will be so much more better! The good thing about Apple is there are always updates, i'm not sure if you have to pay for them though, i know you have to pay for ipod touch updates.

ReputationRep:
    Rumours regarding new iphone pricing are:

Free on most expensive contract,

£100 on any other contract,

£269 pay-as-you-go (But still tied in with O2)

Significant price drops are because O2 are heavily subsidising the costs of the iphone this time which they didnt do with the 1st version.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmelech)
    Rumours regarding new iphone pricing are:

Free on most expensive contract,

£100 on any other contract,

£269 pay-as-you-go (But still tied in with O2)

Significant price drops are because O2 are heavily subsidising the costs of the iphone this time which they didnt do with the 1st version.
    the price for pay as you go isn't actually that bad!... the prices in general are good.

i guess what's more to see is the cost of price plans! Shame pay as you go is tied to o2, surely apple would make more money if these phones were more widely available on other tarrifs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by couture_kid)
    the price for pay as you go isn't actually that bad!... the prices in general are good.

i guess what's more to see is the cost of price plans! Shame pay as you go is tied to o2, surely apple would make more money if these phones were more widely available on other tarrifs.

No because im pretty sure the make deals with the operators too...something thats so exclusive is bound to get Apple more money if they keep the deal to one operator

ReputationRep:
    Well the rumour prices are obviously going to be bull, most likely thats probally a trade in and change of £100

ReputationRep:
    O2 paid a lot of money to have it exclusive to them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vykeera)
    According to the people in the phone shop I've started working for... anyway, that's why I said apparently. Apparently a lot of people with them, round here at least, have had trouble with them. What sort of trouble I don't know - it might just be understanding how to use them as opposed to the phone itself - but I just thought I'd mention it. My main point of that when the phone gets cheap enough to use there'll probably be better phones out there, I think, still stands.
    Would that be a phone shop which can't stock the iPhone (seeing as only O2, The Carphone Warehouse and Apple Stores can sell them). If so they are probably just bitter because they are losing out on sales and therefore have to try and convince customers they are not very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    Would that be a phone shop which can't stock the iPhone (seeing as only O2, The Carphone Warehouse and Apple Stores can sell them). If so they are probably just bitter because they are losing out on sales and therefore have to try and convince customers they are not very good.
    It's what they told me, not the customers, in a 'avoid the iphone because you'll have to deal with annoyed customers' way.

ReputationRep:
    The rumour is that tonight at WWDC Steve Jobs will announce a new iPhone with 3G and GPS as well as not being locked into one network

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.