ADVICE Watch

rani18
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What's one piece of advice that you've been given that you've never forgotten?
Haider.alix
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When I was seven years old my father inadvertently taught me something that I've never forgotten. This was a very long time ago. Televisions were very small, had rounded corners and were black and white.

I had a band aid stuck on my left upper arm. It was healing well and no longer bleeding so I was attempting to remove it. However, it was pulling on the hairs on my arm and I wasn't getting anywhere. My father, seeing this, said to me in so many words, "Pull the band aid off as quickly as you possibly can. That way, there will be very little pain."

I took my father's advice. Big mistake! When I think about it, I can still feel the pain. And it took a long time for the pain to subside.

Now, my father had told me something that wasn't true. What was I, at seven years old, to think? I knew by the way my father treated me that he loved me (my mother too). So why would he tell me something to purposefully hurt me? It was a conundrum.

It took me a bit of time to rectify it, but finally I reckoned that my father had not actually lied to me: he simply told me what he believed to be true.

What did I learn? The best that anyone can ever tell you, even those that you trust and love the most, is what they believe to be true.

Later I extended this to: The best way to learn the truth of something is to uncover all relevant objective evidence and let it tell you what most probably is the truth. Be prepared to change a view in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Haider.alix
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what was your advice? that u wont forget?
rani18
Rep:
?
Now that's what I call good advice!
Perhaps that was your father's intentions after all.
(Original post by Haider.alix)
When I was seven years old my father inadvertently taught me something that I've never forgotten. This was a very long time ago. Televisions were very small, had rounded corners and were black and white.

I had a band aid stuck on my left upper arm. It was healing well and no longer bleeding so I was attempting to remove it. However, it was pulling on the hairs on my arm and I wasn't getting anywhere. My father, seeing this, said to me in so many words, "Pull the band aid off as quickly as you possibly can. That way, there will be very little pain."

I took my father's advice. Big mistake! When I think about it, I can still feel the pain. And it took a long time for the pain to subside.

Now, my father had told me something that wasn't true. What was I, at seven years old, to think? I knew by the way my father treated me that he loved me (my mother too). So why would he tell me something to purposefully hurt me? It was a conundrum.

It took me a bit of time to rectify it, but finally I reckoned that my father had not actually lied to me: he simply told me what he believed to be true.

What did I learn? The best that anyone can ever tell you, even those that you trust and love the most, is what they believe to be true.

Later I extended this to: The best way to learn the truth of something is to uncover all relevant objective evidence and let it tell you what most probably is the truth. Be prepared to change a view in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
rani18
Rep:
?
My dad has always said to myself and my brothers:
"Don't make or let people suffer just because you can't be bothered."
Before I make most of my decisions, I keep that in mind.
what was your advice? that u wont forget?
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Never buy your own cigarettes. Best advice ever from my dad. Stopped me becoming a real smoker although I did get stick at the time from my friends.
(Original post by rani18)
Now that's what I call good advice!
Perhaps that was your father's intentions after all.
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Name:  scrubs.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  25.1 KB
AmazingPhysicist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A life lived for others is a life well lived.
Helping others helps yourself.
What's one piece of advice that you've been given that you've never forgotten?
rani18
Rep:
?
:yep:
(Original post by AmazingPhysicist)
A life lived for others is a life well lived.
Helping others helps yourself.
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Keep your head up princess otherwise your crown will fall off. Love this!
:yep:
rani18
Rep:
?
Oh that's really cute!! I love it!!
(Original post by Scotney)
Keep your head up princess otherwise your crown will fall off. Love this!
noortahir_Yr10
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bless thats so sweet x

noortahir_Yr10
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Life is the most difficult exam. Many people fail because they try to copy others, not realizing that everyone has a different question paper.

And my mate told me this one, we mature with the damage, not with the years x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (135)
60.81%
No (87)
39.19%

Watched Threads