Kaowin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys, I graduated with BA Hons in media, video and photography in 2005. After 9 years in my current job with no real skills to offer, I’m contemplating going back to uni to study Physiotherapy.

I’ve done a little research and see I’d need an Access course to bridge the gap to start a BSc in Physiotherapy. My HUGE concern is over those 3 years - from what I can see as a 35 year old Singleton, with a car and a mortgage - that I would receive no assistance in tuition fees or maintenance if I left my job as I already have a same level degree?

Am I right in thinking I basically can’t go down this route? I would need help if I left my job so if I can’t get that - I can’t see a way forward.

Advice is MUCH appreciated!
toucantiger
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Kaowin,

I'm in a similar (ish) position. I'm hoping to study Midwifery in 2020 and I already have an unrelated arts BA Hons from 2013.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...bursary-reform

You should be eligible for student finance for a second time as your degree is healthcare related, see above!
Kaowin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
That’s very helpful, thank you
(Original post by toucantiger)
Hi Kaowin,

I'm in a similar (ish) position. I'm hoping to study Midwifery in 2020 and I already have an unrelated arts BA Hons from 2013.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...bursary-reform

You should be eligible for student finance for a second time as your degree is healthcare related, see above!
toucantiger
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(will post this on here, in case anyone else is looking for the info!!)

Hi,

Thought you would be interested to know. I spoke to student finance and for healthcare degrees, you are eligible to apply for full student finance no matter your previous qualifications, student loans, access course loans etc. I also asked when to apply for student finance as I hadn't a clue and he said applications are open for 2019 now so for 2020 next year it should be the same June 2020 for Sept 2020 start.

Would be interested to hear from anyone else in a similar situation, and how you get on!
SJJ1611
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To let you all know, I was in a similar position later 2018/2019 and recently started BSc physiotherapy in September. I received a full tuition fee loan and maintenance loan after previously completing a BSc and an MSc (although at the time postgrad student finance didn’t exist). Student finance were really helpful. I applied in March 2019 and received a letter in June to confirm the amounts they’d give me. Remember with healthcare courses there are costs associated with travelling to and from placement (these are often reimbursed aswell). Whilst I’m not in the position of having a mortgage there were certainly a lot of financial decisions to make. But genuinely it has been the best thing I’ve ever done
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads