The Student Room Group

Will I lose my toe?

The thread title may be overly dramatic, but the question did just pop into my mind. About 15 minutes ago I opened a door rather flamboyantly and properly whacked my big toe with it.

The entire toe nail bent upwards, but it's now fallen back down in place. My toe's bleeding under the nail profusely, it's currently dripping onto the floor and the area under the nail is slowly turning black. It feels like pressure is building under the nail and it's absolutely agonising. I can't put my foot on the floor due to the pain and, as it's almost midnight and there's no one around I don't know what to do. Now pins and needles are starting in the toe.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? Please don't tell me to pull the nail off because the thought of that makes me feel sick.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try some ice cubes and see a doc asap
Ambulance. Don't want it to get infected, now, and if you can't walk, are in pain and are bleeding profusely...
generalebriety
Ambulance. Don't want it to get infected, now, and if you can't walk, are in pain and are bleeding profusely...

I don't think an ambulance is necessary. It's still horrendously painful but the initial gushing of blood has somewhat abated now.

The blood also looks really watered down for some reason.

Oh, to have access to nhs direct...
Firstly, rest and elevate your foot. This should stop the huge gushes of blood that you are experiencing.
Then lots of ice, etc to stop the pain and swelling.

Take lots of paracetamol and try not to panic.

Basically, all you have done is ripped your toenail out of place. Its VERY umpleasant, but won't do you too much harm.

My aunt did pretty much the same thing a few years ago and basically the toe nail went black and eventually dropped off in its own time.
A nice new toenail grew back in its place.

Have a look at this it has some great advice: -
http://www.myfootshop.com/detail.asp?Condition=Toe%20Nail%20Injuries
mollymustard
Firstly, rest and elevate your foot. This should stop the huge gushes of blood that you are experiencing.
Then lots of ice, etc to stop the pain and swelling.

Take lots of paracetamol and try not to panic.

Basically, all you have done is ripped your toenail out of place. Its VERY umpleasant, but won't do you too much harm.

My aunt did pretty much the same thing a few years ago and basically the toe nail went black and eventually dropped off in its own time.
A nice new toenail grew back in its place.

Thanks for the advice :smile:

I actually can't believe this has happened. This toenail is, well was, quite spanky and new. A woman in stilettos stood on the same toe a few months ago and the nail recently fell off to reveal this nail. Now I'll have to spend another few months wearing footwear that doesn't reveal my newly mankified toe. Pfft.
fabulous_darling
I don't think an ambulance is necessary. It's still horrendously painful but the initial gushing of blood has somewhat abated now.

The blood also looks really watered down for some reason.

Oh, to have access to nhs direct...

I can't understand how people can claim to be in agony, to be bleeding "profusely", to be unable to walk, and to have serious worries that they might lose their toe, and still think an ambulance is unnecessary. What the **** are they there for? Put it this way - when the blood's dry tomorrow, it'll be ten times harder and more painful for anyone to do anything if anything's necessary and it's got infected.

Can't say I didn't try.
fabulous_darling
Thanks for the advice :smile:

I actually can't believe this has happened. This toenail is, well was, quite spanky and new. A woman in stilettos stood on the same toe a few months ago and the nail recently fell off to reveal this nail. Now I'll have to spend another few months wearing footwear that doesn't reveal my newly mankified toe. Pfft.

Awww, hard luck! Sounds like your nail is cursed.
Maybe it was just still a bit fragile after the regrowth!

I just posted a link in my first post. The site had quite good advice on how to deal with toe nail injuries etc. ^

Hope its hurting slightly less :smile:
Reply 8
generalebriety
I can't understand how people can claim to be in agony, to be bleeding "profusely", to be unable to walk, and to have serious worries that they might lose their toe, and still think an ambulance is unnecessary. What the **** are they there for? Put it this way - when the blood's dry tomorrow, it'll be ten times harder and more painful for anyone to do anything if anything's necessary and it's got infected.

Can't say I didn't try.

Dude, if she feels she needs an ambulance, she'll call one. Chill, if you have no other advice to offer, no need to have a hostile fit.
generalebriety

Can't say I didn't try.

I'm not actually seriously worried about losing my toe. That I think was just heat of the moment blind panic.

I'm also currently in America on exchange and I have no idea how the hospital system works. I have health insurance but I don't know how to access it, I don't know what company I'm insured with etc.

Thanks for the concern, I just don't think it's an injury worthy of an ambulance. I might try to hobble to the doctors tomorrow though.
Reply 10
Ummm, asked your exchange agency what kind of insurance you have :wink:

(Im here for an exchange as well :wink: )
Reply 11
You'll probably temporarily lose your toenail but definitely not the whole toe...
Cherryy
Ummm, asked your exchange agency what kind of insurance you have :wink:

(Im here for an exchange as well :wink: )

I think I might have to. I'm concerned that something's going to happen because of all of the blood under the nail, I'm going to have to take the morning off studying tomorrow to visit the notoriously crap doctor on campus.

My friend bashed up her ankle a few weeks ago and went to see the doctor. He asked her how she wanted him to treat it, before even giving her any treatment options and then asked if she needed crutches. Apparently self diagnosis and self treatment is big here, haha.

Bloody toe, argh!
Reply 13
Dont they have a number you could call any time?????
I know that mine has one. If you call asked for doctors who accept your kind of insurance so that you can choose.
Cherryy
Dont they have a number you could call any time?????
I know that mine has one. If you call asked for doctors who accept your kind of insurance so that you can choose.

Not that I know of. I've always been told I can pop into the exchange office whenever I need to, or call/e-mail the office at any time but seeing as it's midnight no one will be in the exchange office right now.

I'm using the university recommended insurance I believe, so I'm assuming that the major hospital in the area accepts that insurance, as will the surgery on campus. I just don't know whether I'll need to take insurance documents or anything when I go tomorrow. Although, surely if someone keeled over and had a heart attack they wouldn't have their insurance documents on them at the time, and they'd still be treated.

I should probably have read all of the insurance details when I received them. Can't for the life of me remember where I put all the stuff. This would happen less than a week before I fly home :rolleyes:
Reply 15
fabulous_darling
I think I might have to. I'm concerned that something's going to happen because of all of the blood under the nail, I'm going to have to take the morning off studying tomorrow to visit the notoriously crap doctor on campus.

Yes, you should definitely go see a doctor tomorrow. My uneducated guess is that they will probably drill a little hole in the toenail (or remove the nail altogether) to get the blood out and give you painkillers/antibiotics.
Reply 16
I wouldnt say that...I think it depends on how much blood it is and how severe it is.
I could image that they will tell her to let the nail fall of itself
HJV
Yes, you should definitely go see a doctor tomorrow. My uneducated guess is that they will probably drill a little hole in the toenail (or remove the nail altogether) to get the blood out and give you painkillers/antibiotics.

Yep, I saw something on the wesbite which was helpfully posted above about drilling a hole in the nail. I have to admit I don't like the sound of it, but if it needs to be done I'll have to just grin and bear it.
Reply 18
fabulous_darling
Yep, I saw something on the wesbite which was helpfully posted above about drilling a hole in the nail. I have to admit I don't like the sound of it, but if it needs to be done I'll have to just grin and bear it.

I've never had that done, but I doubt the drilling of the hole itself actually hurts. Your nail doesn't have any nerves in it, and neither does the blood underneath.

Anyway, a doctor will probably know what's best. If it's not severe, they'll probably just give you painkillers and the toe will heal on its own. :smile:

I'm not a medicine student or anything so can't say what's the normal procedure. Maybe someone who's studying this will wake up soon and tell you.
Oh poop, it's oozing transparent watery stuff now. The bleeding's stopped completely though.

Latest

Trending

Trending