Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I am currently studying "IT and Business" at university of Westminster. I would like to have your opinion if it is possible to advance to a Masters degree in Business at top 15 university such as UCL or Kings after studying at not a high ranked university such as Westminster? Of course in case a get first class or 2.1?

Your replies would be much appreciated

hmm - I go to KCL and will ask a friend and report back

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's perfectly possible.

(Original post by Murr)
    Yes, it's perfectly possible.
    That's an awesome post - lot of info ... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    That's an awesome post - lot of info ... :p:
    Well he means it has been done before, numerous times.

ReputationRep:
    wow I am not the only insane person here posting at close to 6 in the morning Thanks for the fast replies

ReputationRep:
    And would that make up for not going to a high ranked university at Bs level or would the employers still going to look at it as not a very promising educational background?

ReputationRep:
    Reputation doesn't matter for PG courses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    Reputation doesn't matter for PG courses
    I doubt that. On my MSc degree programme the vast majority of students were educated at pretty good institutions. Oftentimes, they hold degrees from some of the best universities in their home countries like the Bocconi or the National Autonomous University of Mexico. The two UK students went to Bristol and Durham, respectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingLeary)
    I doubt that. On my MSc degree programme the vast majority of students were educated at pretty good institutions. Oftentimes, they hold degrees from some of the best universities in their home countries like the Bocconi or the National Autonomous University of Mexico. The two UK students went to Bristol and Durham, respectively.
    I am speaking from personal experience. If reputation and league table position came into it, I wouldn't be going to the UoL next year.

PG admissions are not just about where you did your BA. Factors such as references, statement of purpose/research areas, academic results etc all play a part.

ReputationRep:
    I am speaking from personal experience. If reputation and league table position came into it, I wouldn't be going to the UoL next year.

PG admissions are not just about where you did your BA. Factors such as references, statement of purpose/research areas, academic results etc all play a part.
    My degree was at a peculiar university; on the one hand the colleges that make up the Uni are all old, on t'other it’s considered a new university. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and would recommend it to anyone. I applied for my MSc at UCL, and as I left the interview was told that so long as I got a 2:1 (standard for UCL) I was on the course. I think it really has majorly to do with how passionate about and interested in your discipline you are; professors are passionate about their subject so no news there really.

where are you going next year?

ReputationRep:
    Royal Holloway (which for my subject, is one of the best departments in the UoL)

Royal Holloway (which for my subject, is one of the best departments in the UoL)
    :yy:
    what do you study?

ReputationRep:
    everything is possible, remember to state in the PS why u r passionate of going into the course.

ReputationRep:
    i go/went to kings, go there. i can stalk you.

ReputationRep:
    I had this worry too that PG degree's would not accept the uni I want to go to (UEA) after studying Computing Science, if I was to do a PG in a top 10 university it seems very unlikely. But then I thought a lot of people have done it, so its possible.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.