akelly524
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’m in a bit of an urgent dilemma:

I’m due to start university next year. I’ve always had medicine as my primary choice and I’ve been going on the assumption that that is what I want to do. I am fortunate enough to have an offer to study medicine at Queen’s in Belfast which I have out as my firm choice for UCAS.

But I’ve also got a strong interest in economics and politics. I read the Guardian everyday and listen to podcasts about current affairs (The Economist and Remainiacs). Recently, I’ve been reading books from the library on the subjects as well. And PPE is my insurance choice for UCAS.

As I am in Ireland I have also applied to Trinity College Dublin for medicine and PPE. Dublin is my preferred destination for uni. The Irish system allows you to change your course choices up to the 1st July so I have the opportunity to do so if I wish.

So my dilemma is this: keep medicine as my first choice for Trinity or change it to PPE.

I’m pretty sure that I will enjoy medicine and the career that follows; I’m passionate about science and using it to help people, and I enjoy teamwork and the challenge that medicine brings; medicine also involves lifelong learning which really appeals to me. I think that I’m well capable of meeting the challenges that medicine will present.

But I also look at the opportunities that a career in economics presents. I’m particularly interested in how it could help in the effort against climate change and other social issues. So I think that although an economist has less of an effect on an individual level, there is the possibility of making very worthwhile contributions to the world through influencing policy and governance.

So, two questions: is anyone else in a similar situation (that of still not being decided about university next year)? And can anyone give me any help as to how to make this decision?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
That's quite the dilemma you've got for yourself there.

How about sticking with the medicine, and later doing a masters in medical economics or medicinal public policy? There are several options available. That could help you get to the types of career you're talking about.
rflxvvrbs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I would keep medicine for Trinity because it's really easy to switch course there once you're in. I was in a similar position last year choosing between English and politics; I decided that I would enjoy studying English more and keeping politics as more of a hobby/interest and joined all the politics and economics societies here. :-)
kwongnatalie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Definitely stick with medicine. It would be easier for you to do medicine first and get the ‘toughest of tough’ out of the way and then do economics later. You’re in no rush
(Original post by akelly524)
I’m in a bit of an urgent dilemma:

I’m due to start university next year. I’ve always had medicine as my primary choice and I’ve been going on the assumption that that is what I want to do. I am fortunate enough to have an offer to study medicine at Queen’s in Belfast which I have out as my firm choice for UCAS.

But I’ve also got a strong interest in economics and politics. I read the Guardian everyday and listen to podcasts about current affairs (The Economist and Remainiacs). Recently, I’ve been reading books from the library on the subjects as well. And PPE is my insurance choice for UCAS.

As I am in Ireland I have also applied to Trinity College Dublin for medicine and PPE. Dublin is my preferred destination for uni. The Irish system allows you to change your course choices up to the 1st July so I have the opportunity to do so if I wish.

So my dilemma is this: keep medicine as my first choice for Trinity or change it to PPE.

I’m pretty sure that I will enjoy medicine and the career that follows; I’m passionate about science and using it to help people, and I enjoy teamwork and the challenge that medicine brings; medicine also involves lifelong learning which really appeals to me. I think that I’m well capable of meeting the challenges that medicine will present.

But I also look at the opportunities that a career in economics presents. I’m particularly interested in how it could help in the effort against climate change and other social issues. So I think that although an economist has less of an effect on an individual level, there is the possibility of making very worthwhile contributions to the world through influencing policy and governance.

So, two questions: is anyone else in a similar situation (that of still not being decided about university next year)? And can anyone give me any help as to how to make this decision?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (65)
65.66%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
21.21%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
13.13%

Watched Threads