Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Its a 3 mark question.

I have "DSM uses a multiaxial classification whereby each individual is rated on 5 seperate dimensions, or axises(I cant spell got it). Axis 1 & 2 comprise the classification of abnormal behaviour."

What am I missing, and what would you answer!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashmir.noir)
    Its a 3 mark question.

I have "DSM uses a multiaxial classification whereby each individual is rated on 5 seperate dimensions, or axises(I cant spell got it). Axis 1 & 2 comprise the classification of abnormal behaviour."

What am I missing, and what would you answer!?
    Lol what the hell? The only definitions of abnormality I know are the ones like; Deviations form social norms, Deviations from statistical norms, Failure to function adequately and Deviations form ideal mental health. Never heard what you're talking about :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amywalters)
    Lol what the hell? The only definitions of abnormality I know are the ones like; Deviations form social norms, Deviations from statistical norms, Failure to function adequately and Deviations form ideal mental health. Never heard what you're talking about :p:
    ^^ Thats pretty much what I suggested in your first thread, OP.

Perhaps you're misinterpreting the question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amywalters)
    See, that comes in the question before.
    Define what is meant by abnormality. Or the question that comes up is, Define what is meant by the classification of abnormality!

That answer is what i've written for what is meant by abnormality!

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    ^^ Thats pretty much what I suggested in your first thread, OP.

Perhaps you're misinterpreting the question?
    See, I thought I was to. So I checked the mark schemes, the answers that you've given me go into the "Define what is meant by abnormality" Q.

See these are the possible questions.

"Explain in your own words what is meant by the term 'abnormality'"
    (which is where the defintion comes, in you just put it in lay words.)

then theres

"Classify one abnormality of your choice"

or

"Describe one way in which abnormality is classified"

then its the

"Describe 2 types of abnormality"

or

"Describe 2 possible causes of an abnormality"

All the Q's are really open ended and airfairy.

ReputationRep:
    dsm is used by psychiatrists to classify people and is agreed with as a system of measuring and classifying by many in the mental health field. they are now on mark IV version... sigh...
    basically-
    The DSM-IV organizes each psychiatric diagnosis into five levels (axes) relating to different aspects of disorder or disability:
    Axis I: clinical disorders, including major mental disorders
    Axis II: underlying pervasive or personality conditions, as well as mental ******ation
    Axis III: medical conditions which may be relevant to the understanding and treatment of the mental disorder
    Axis IV: psychosocial and environmental factors contributing to the disorder
    Axis V: Global Assessment of Functioning (on a scale from 100 to 0)

ReputationRep:
    its unlikely to come up too often tbh^
    its still pretty vile though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spatula01)
    dsm is used by psychiatrists to classify people and is agreed with as a system of measuring and classifying by many in the mental health field. they are now on mark IV version... sigh...
    Semi-officially we use the WHO's ICD-10 rather than the yank version.

ReputationRep:
    *strains brain*. I am hoping World Health Organisation's internation classification of disease, similar to dsm but has 11 main categories instead of dsm's 16.
    see, I know this stuff *chants* . revising this stuff is like wading through treacle.
    much more of this and I will be registering with a few of these categories

ReputationRep:
    The plural of axis is axes by the way

ReputationRep:
    The question says "one way" so does that not imply either statistical or subjective distress? In my opinion, it shouldn't be DSM since it is a system. Such as bad question. What is the actual question? Cause Edexcel psych always try to trick you with words.

If its about DSM, my 3 points will be:
    -DSM is a classification of over 200 mental disorders published by American Psychiatric Association.
    -It uses a multi-axial diagnosis under 5 axes.
    -A global assessment of functioning (GAF) score out of 100 is given to the subject. A higher score indicates higher normality.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 9, 2008

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.