The Student Room Group

What do I do if I miss my offers on results day?

Insurance AND firm
Or say I get into my insurance but don’t want to go there, I only wanted to go to my firm.

Scroll to see replies

you go into clearing or you fall into depression. your choice.
Original post by fio.rella.
Insurance AND firm
Or say I get into my insurance but don’t want to go there, I only wanted to go to my firm.

If you fail to get into your Firm or Insurance, you will automatically be entered into Clearing which means you can apply to any other uni with vacancies.

If you really don't want to go to your Insurance, you might as well decline your offer now :dontknow:
Reply 3
Original post by harrysbar
If you fail to get into your Firm or Insurance, you will automatically be entered into Clearing which means you can apply to any other uni with vacancies.

If you really don't want to go to your Insurance, you might as well decline your offer now :dontknow:

I’m unsure about my insurance in case there’s a better offer in clearing but I don’t know how this works - will I still be able to see all the universities and courses in clearing if I have an Insurance?
Reply 4
Original post by angel.xo
you go into clearing or you fall into depression. your choice.

Depression seems more likely
Reply 5
My plan is to retake then apply again.
Insurance AND firm
Depression seems more likely

ikr. i would shave all my hair off than go to another university.
Reply 7
Original post by aa-k
My plan is to retake then apply again.

I was thinking this but idk if I want to go through the whole applying process again just to be rejected for being a resit applicant or something
Take a gap yeh
Reply 9
Original post by angel.xo
ikr. i would shave all my hair off than go to another university.

My exams have finished but now I’m just gonna spend the next 2 months stressing because I just know I’ve missed my firm :/
Reply 10
Yeah I'm not too sure, maybe apply to different unis
I was thinking this but idk if I want to go through the whole applying process again just to be rejected for being a resit applicant or something
Original post by aa-k
Yeah I'm not too sure, maybe apply to different unis

Might just go in clearing then because I only really have my sights set on my firm so idk if I wanna take a year out just to end up in a uni I could’ve ended up in a year earlier ygm
Let's just hope, for the sake of sanity, that you have satisfied the conditions of your Firm, or at least near enough that they still take you. All will be revealed on 15 August.

If and only if your Firm shows you the door and your Insurance wants to take you, you then have a choice: you either (a) go rushing into your Insurance's tender embrace, or (b) release yourself into Clearing, or (c) withdraw altogether from this year's UCAS process (this can be after (b) if you want to explore Clearing first). Go off and discover yourself, reapply, resit, whatevs. See you again next year.

I'm still holding thumbs that you get into your Firm, though, okay?

EDITED after @harrysbar's latest post.

Pob hwyl.

(edited 4 years ago)
I’m unsure about my insurance in case there’s a better offer in clearing but I don’t know how this works - will I still be able to see all the universities and courses in clearing if I have an Insurance?

Yes, you will still be able to see all the courses in clearing if you have an insurance - in fact, Clearing officially starts on July 5th, so you will be able to see which ones have vacancies from then on.

If you wait for results day and then decide that you want to withdraw from your Insurance, it is going to be easier this year because UCAS are introducing a new system. This means that for the first time, you will be able to release yourself into Clearing without waiting for permission from your Insurance Uni.
O, that's good news. I hadn't realised.
Original post by harrysbar
UCAS are introducing a new system. This means that for the first time, you will be able to release yourself into Clearing without waiting for permission from your Insurance Uni.
Original post by 学生の父
O, that's good news. I hadn't realised.

I only found out recently and they haven't widely advertised it but yes, it sounds better for applicants
You are going to have to face up to the fact that in the real world not everything goes the way we would like and disappointment is something we all have to deal with. If you get rejected by your firm you will have to accept that you either end up at your insurance, clearing or reapplying next year. If you dont want to go to your insurance withdraw from it and take your chance in clearing. Realistically that is your choice but it is possible your firm may accept you with reduced grades.
Original post by swanseajack1
You are going to have to face up to the fact that in the real world not everything goes the way we would like and disappointment is something we all have to deal with. If you get rejected by your firm you will have to accept that you either end up at your insurance, clearing or reapplying next year. If you dont want to go to your insurance withdraw from it and take your chance in clearing. Realistically that is your choice but it is possible your firm may accept you with reduced grades.

Thank you for this, needed to hear it. Even with reduced grades I think they won’t be good enough for my firm which is fair, I just want to be prepared that’s all. How do I go about withdrawing from my insurance do I ring them now or on results day? I’m also unsure as to how clearing works is it first come first serve? I’m thinking of doing a slightly different course
Reply 18
You sound like a spoiled brat.

"Or say I get into my insurance but don’t want to go there, I only wanted to go to my firm". :rofl: This is why people pick a backup that they're happy with and not rely just on the firm choice.
Wait until results day. There's no need to act now - you may well have changed your mind by 15 August! Clearing is essentially first come first served (as long as you meet the criteria). The unis are trying to fill the remaining places as best they can.
How do I go about withdrawing from my insurance do I ring them now or on results day? I’m also unsure as to how clearing works is it first come first serve? I’m thinking of doing a slightly different course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending