hl1479
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi- i don’t do psychology but im trying to write about GABA and how its an inhibitory neurotransmitter in my bio essay tomr as one of the things i include if i can. SO TO MAKE IT CLEAR i was wondering how gaba causes the chloride ion channels to open to cause an influx of cl- and cause hyperpolerization.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hl1479
Hi,
The monocarboxylic amino acid neurotransmitters (GABA, taurine and glycine) are largely inhibitory, while the dicarboxylic ones (glutamate and aspartate) are excitatory. The particular GABA receptors that use chloride to produce hyperpolarization are GABA-A (with "A" as subscript - not possible to execute on TSR) and GABA-C. The GABA-A receptor is probably pentameric or tetrameric (has 4 or 5 sub-units (2 alpha, 2 beta and 1 gamma sub-units in the benzodiazepine receptors [benzodiazepines are one group of drugs used to treat anxiety = anxiolytics e.g. lorazepam, chlordiazepoxide] that assemble around a central pore). It is an ionotropic receptor.

In the CNS, GABA receptors are present between e.g. cerebellar Purkinje neurons and their synaptic connections in Deiter's nucleus, between the vestibular nucleus (the nucleus of the vestibulocochlear nerve (8th cranial nerve)) and trochlear neurones.

Chloride ions, being of course -vely charged, when they enter the post-synaptic neurone, cause hyperpolarization by increasing the net -ve charge inside the neuronal cell membrane.

There are 3 main types of chloride channels - the type relevant to GABA are the ligand-gated channels; Because Cl- conc-n is about 100+ mM outside cells and 20 mM inside, the gradient is inward, so opening of chloride channels leads to net negativity moving inwards leading to an IPSP (inhibitory post-synaptic potential = hyperpolarization).

((The GABA-B receptor is a metabotropic receptor i.e. it operates through a G-protein coupled mechanism - GPCR.))

I hope this helps improve your essay slightly!

M (clinical pharmacologist)
hl1479
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you so so much!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (265)
57.61%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (61)
13.26%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.43%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (41)
8.91%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.43%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.35%

Watched Threads