a1313ie
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm not sure why, but every time my teacher gives me homework regarding essay writing/practise exam questions or critical appreciation I just can't seem to be able to do it. I don't know what I find so hard about it. I've been sat for three hours staring at a critical appreciation extract and all I've done so far is written a crappy introduction and done a lot of annotating. I suppose I'm struggling with structuring my paragraphs, what to focus on in each one as well as how to include my various annotations without it sounding weird. It's now 23:40 pm and I still have another essay question that I'm having the same issues with. I was going to tell my teacher tomorrow about my struggling but i could give myself a hundred hard whacks as it was due Friday but she gave me until Monday and it just so happens neither are done. Any helpful guidance? Cause I could use a good metaphorical hug and a cry right about now.:backstab::bawling:
Last edited by a1313ie; 8 months ago
LucyH2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I've just done my a level in English lit for OCR. Might be different structurally if it's a different exam board but the structure I use is:
1. establish the tone of the extract, look at the setting and narrative
2. then just go from there; consider imagery and motifs, and go chronologically to write about how the extract develops. consider the structure, like turning points, and make links to other works if there's a common trope.
make frequent/in every paragraph references to how the extract fits it's genre (I did the gothic so wrote 'this trope is prevalent within gothic works' etc)
my practice essays got around 27 or 28/30 generally, so if you'd like I can email you them just to see the structure? I'm not very good at explaining

good luck! It will get better as time progresses
Last edited by LucyH2001; 8 months ago
a1313ie
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi Lucy,

Thanks for answering, I'd love to take a look at your practise essay structures. Your method is very helpful and exactly what I needed, hopefully I will be able to utilise the structure you use and try to apply it to my future essays/exams.

P.S I'm doing the same exam board and I'm also studying the Gothic genre.

My email is: [email protected]

Again, thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.
Last edited by a1313ie; 8 months ago
LucyH2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by a1313ie)
Hi Lucy,

Thanks for answering, I'd love to take a look at your practise essay structures. Your method is very helpful and exactly what I needed, hopefully I will be able to utilise the structure you use and try to apply it to my future essays/exams.

P.S I'm doing the same exam board and I'm also studying the Gothic genre.

My email is: [email protected]

Again, thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.
no problem! I'd be more than happy to help, and I'm glad that my work can be of use
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (145)
60.17%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.56%
No- I want it (68)
28.22%
No- I don't want it (17)