Best universities for economics with these grades Watch

LucaOG
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
GCSEs: X4(8) - X5(7) - X1(6) w/ 8 in Maths
A Levels: Finished year 12, & predicted A*A*(A*/A) w/ an A in EPQ
What unis for economics could I achieve? I've been looking at Bath/Nottingham/St. Andrews as they are ranked highly I think, but do you think I could aim higher? Btw I don't want to go to LSE
LucaOG
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Btw I study Maths/Biology/Psychology
(Original post by LucaOG)
GCSEs: X4(8) - X5(7) - X1(6) w/ 8 in Maths
A Levels: Finished year 12, & predicted A*A*(A*/A) w/ an A in EPQ
What unis for economics could I achieve? I've been looking at Bath/Nottingham/St. Andrews as they are ranked highly I think, but do you think I could aim higher? Btw I don't want to go to LSE
arthikair2000
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cambridge/ Oxford if that’s your taste, if not, Warwick is a good option. Btw, unis generally don’t care if you did alevel econ or not as long as you’ve got a good maths grade.
arthikair2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bath and Notts are also really good! I was so close to going to bath, just changed my mind very last minute but they’re both amazing unis, personally I do like a campus and this is important to me so you also gotta think what type of uni you’d like
LucaOG
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the reply mate, what was the determining factor for you going to notts over Bath?
(Original post by arthikair2000)
Bath and Notts are also really good! I was so close to going to bath, just changed my mind very last minute but they’re both amazing unis, personally I do like a campus and this is important to me so you also gotta think what type of uni you’d like
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You will not get anywhere better than these unless you choose Oxbridge.
arthikair2000
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Notts is probably the best balance between city and campus, really like campus feel. One of our lecturers were saying how unis come up with course content and they all pretty much follow the same thing except the very top ie Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, St Andrews, Warwick. He was saying how little the uni you go to matters unless it’s one of the top 6. Personally, I live in Cambridge and couldn’t see myself in Oxbridge and London really isn’t for me. Some people might prefer the big city experience but I really like a campus atmosphere, I’ve completed my first year of economics at Kent and feel like I’ve really made true friends already; had a lot going on in my personal life and my mates at uni have always been there.

Almost everyone I know at a London uni feels some kind of disconnect, and there’s some truly horrific things I’ve heard of people and friendships in London unis. Obviously this is perspective and there are people out there who really enjoy London unis but that’s just my two cents.

The reason I chose Kent over Bath was the course: was offered economics with international development at bath vs economics at Kent. Really happy with the campus and know enough people at bath and Notts who love it! Although my heart was set on Nottingham, I am incredibly happy at Kent and although I considered transferring to Notts, I don’t think I will anymore. (I screwed up Alevels A*AD)

Either uni would be a great choice as both have a great reputation and are excellent campuses. I’d personally lean towards notts due to the city campus balance but that choice is up to you. Perspectively, the nightlife at Nottingham May have been a distraction for me as I’d literally be out every night 😂 but hey, you live you learn.

Hope this helps
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oxbridge > Warwick/UCL > Bath/Bristol/Notts/etc > Others

Would recommend Bath. Lovely city, nice campus, excellent job prospects. Nottingham is a bit less nice, and St Andrews is small and far away.
Last edited by DarthRoar; 4 weeks ago
TheHof
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Visited all these universities with my daughter for economics. They all have their good and bad points. Oxbridge is obviously the best, but after that they are all good, especially at undergraduate level.

If don't like big city living and a prefer a non-campus uni, then either St Andrews or Durham is good.

My daughter had offer for Bath, but firmed St Andrews because she prefers the environment and the flexibility of the degree. You learn other subjects in the first two years alongside your main subject and it's quite easy to change your degree subject if you find you prefer something else. She also liked that St Andrews had so many international students.

The standard St Andrews economics offer is AAA. However, at an open day we were told that you usually have to be on course to exceed the standard offer as they have so many applicants. Their offer rate for economics is around 41%

We also have a friend who just missed her Cambridge offer, went to St Andrews and hasn't looked back.
Presence
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
bath or durham is better?
TheHof
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Impossible to answer that question. It depends on your circumstances, your course preference and what type of uni you want to attend. It's best to visit and go where you feel you'd be happy.
(Original post by Presence)
bath or durham is better?
bpn365
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey there, I have finished my first year of economics at Warwick.

When I was applying, the impression I got about economics courses was Oxbridge > Warwick/UCL/LSE > Bath/Bristol/St Andrews/Durham/Notts/Exeter.

Maths is by far your most important A Level subject though having neither Economics nor Further Maths could work against you. I've found having both very useful in my first year. That being said, none of these are required so you could definitely aim for those top unis, if you decide that those universities are right for you.

Other things to note:
- You can't do economics at Oxford, you have to do Economics and Management or PPE, so if these don't appeal to you then probably not worth applying.
- Each uni will have different modules and a different selection of optional modules (Warwick has quite a large selection) so it is probably worth looking at these.
- Some will have compulsory economic history in first year (Warwick does), so may be worth considering if this interests you
- Some universities have reputations for how mathematical the course is and how much essay writing there is. Would imagine that those which require a level maths are more mathematical. Warwick has a reputation for being quite mathematical. I have only written 3 coursework essays (all 1200 words) this year. I get the impression from a friend that Cambridge has a lot of essays but can't say for sure.
Presence
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bpn365)
Hey there, I have finished my first year of economics at Warwick.

When I was applying, the impression I got about economics courses was Oxbridge > Warwick/UCL/LSE > Bath/Bristol/St Andrews/Durham/Notts/Exeter.

Maths is by far your most important A Level subject though having neither Economics nor Further Maths could work against you. I've found having both very useful in my first year. That being said, none of these are required so you could definitely aim for those top unis, if you decide that those universities are right for you.

Other things to note:
- You can't do economics at Oxford, you have to do Economics and Management or PPE, so if these don't appeal to you then probably not worth applying.
- Each uni will have different modules and a different selection of optional modules (Warwick has quite a large selection) so it is probably worth looking at these.
- Some will have compulsory economic history in first year (Warwick does), so may be worth considering if this interests you
- Some universities have reputations for how mathematical the course is and how much essay writing there is. Would imagine that those which require a level maths are more mathematical. Warwick has a reputation for being quite mathematical. I have only written 3 coursework essays (all 1200 words) this year. I get the impression from a friend that Cambridge has a lot of essays but can't say for sure.
did u do FM ? when you got the offer did it require where the A* was and if u did 4 a levels what grade did u need for the 4th a level ?
bpn365
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I did only three A levels: maths, FM and econ. The offer was A*AA and didn't require what the A* was in.
did u do FM ? when you got the offer did it require where the A* was and if u did 4 a levels what grade did u need for the 4th a level ?
BasicMistake
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I did four.

Warwick didn't specify where the A* had to go, unlike UCL which wanted an A* in Maths. Their offer also didn't give a requirement for my fourth A Level.
Presence
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BasicMistake)
I did four.

Warwick didn't specify where the A* had to go, unlike UCL which wanted an A* in Maths. Their offer also didn't give a requirement for my fourth A Level.
so it didnt even require a pass?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Universities dont normally require a 4th A level. That is why some on here recommend taking just 3.
BasicMistake
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No but I wouldn't take that to mean it's a good idea to self-sabotage (if you're doing four). At the end of the day you need A*AA and you want to maximise your chances of getting that by doing well across the board.

swanseajack1 is right when they say some on this forum advise against doing four. I had no choice because of my school's system but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Doing four to impress admission tutors is a bad reason. Doing four because you're: a) interested in all four subjects, b) want to gain wider knowledge, c) develop other skills, are good reasons.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby