I don't know what University to put as my Firm

Watch
Sunnys99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Aston or University of Nottingham are the choices and I have until the 20th June to decide and I get my results on the 24th June. I'm going to be studying Mechanical Engineering and I would have to stay at an accomodation for Nottingham and would commute for Aston. I'm unsure which one to choose and any advice about either uni for the course would help. What's the accomodation life like at Nottingham and would I be better off saving money and going to Aston. And if they take long to reply to confirm my spot how long until it becomes even harder to find accomodation in Nottingham.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Sunnys99)
Aston or University of Nottingham are the choices and I have until the 20th June to decide and I get my results on the 24th June. I'm going to be studying Mechanical Engineering and I would have to stay at an accomodation for Nottingham and would commute for Aston. I'm unsure which one to choose and any advice about either uni for the course would help. What's the accomodation life like at Nottingham and would I be better off saving money and going to Aston. And if they take long to reply to confirm my spot how long until it becomes even harder to find accomodation in Nottingham.
Most people won't be confirming their place until A level results day in August so you don't really need to worry too much about accommodation availability at this stage.

If you are really unsure, it may be worth trying to get to Nottingham to see the accommodation, or if you are unable to do so, asking the university for additional information or pictures to help you decide. Essentially you need to attend the right university for you - it shouldn't be a solely financial decision.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Nottingham - better university by a long shot.
Justanotheranon6
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Nottingham
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Both are great, Nottingham is a slightly higher prestige ancient famous good Russell Group university, and everything would be good there...whilst Aston is based in the centre of the much bigger city of Brum. I lived in a suburb of Birmingham for several years and loved the extant multiculurality, but maybe for a focussed learning experienced, a bit more northern Notts would be the friendlier and 'smart' choice.

I firmed my scottish uni at end of April, in order to get a place in their accom, but although I'm now registered on their housing system, they mentioned that allocation doesn't even start 'till August, maybe that would be the same at Nottingham?
Sunnys19
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I've been having a look around at possible Accommodations but most of them seem booked so it's kinda hard to find one that isn't too expensive and is still good. Any suggestions?
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
Most people won't be confirming their place until A level results day in August so you don't really need to worry too much about accommodation availability at this stage.

If you are really unsure, it may be worth trying to get to Nottingham to see the accommodation, or if you are unable to do so, asking the university for additional information or pictures to help you decide. Essentially you need to attend the right university for you - it shouldn't be a solely financial decision.
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Sunnys19)
I've been having a look around at possible Accommodations but most of them seem booked so it's kinda hard to find one that isn't too expensive and is still good. Any suggestions?
If I were you I'd try to take an afternoon and visit whatever is available. Contact the accommodations service to see if they can facilitate letting you have a quick look around if at all possible. Until you see it for yourself you won't really know whether it would suit you or not - what is horrendous to one person is great to another. The key things are the amount of storage in your room, how many people you share a kitchen/bathroom with and the distance to where you will be studying, but also key things like a supermarket and things to do when you're not at uni.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The choice here is Nottingham.

Ability to go abroad on exchange in 2nd or 3rd year.. Better employability, better ranking, better academics, better facilities, better nightlife.

The only reason you could plausibly choose Aston, if you feel you need more personal attention. Nottingham has a massive engineering and business school (which I'm in). And some people do feel like just a number. There's loads of support but you have to be brave and seek it. Whereas Aston might have a more personal touch.

But Nottingham is simply put miles above Aston.
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
unless commuting is your main issue choose Nottingham
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Lots of sensible TSR advice about making Firm/Insurance choices here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices
Sunnys19
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thank you for the reply and my main concern is finding an affordable accommodation that has an ensuite at Nottingham and any suggestions would help me alot
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
The choice here is Nottingham.

Ability to go abroad on exchange in 2nd or 3rd year.. Better employability, better ranking, better academics, better facilities, better nightlife.

The only reason you could plausibly choose Aston, if you feel you need more personal attention. Nottingham has a massive engineering and business school (which I'm in). And some people do feel like just a number. There's loads of support but you have to be brave and seek it. Whereas Aston might have a more personal touch.

But Nottingham is simply put miles above Aston.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Sunnys19)
Thank you for the reply and my main concern is finding an affordable accommodation that has an ensuite at Nottingham and any suggestions would help me alot
You can try and apply for campus accomodation, or look off campus... Raleigh park, St. Peters Court, Manor Villages, IQ exchange.

Obviously for convenience oncampus would be the best bet.

Generally your biggest cost will be accomodation, but usually you can get by in Nottingham on the rest pretty cheaply for UK standards. And your pay packet later will balance out any loss on investment you've taken by getting a much more competitive qualification.
Last edited by Realitysreflexx; 9 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (257)
33.86%
No (502)
66.14%

Watched Threads