Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ..with the course that I'm doing and I don't really know where to begin.
    I'm going to be doing International Business, but it is strongly preferred that I do it with a language. I have chances to do it with Japanese, Chinese, French and Spanish at one uni and all of those plus German at another univeristy. I don't really have to decide which I want to do until I get there in September, but just wanted to gauge opinions on what you guys thought I should do, really.
    I think I'm leaning towards learning either Japanese or Chinese, for a couple of reasons. Firstly I think it would suit my course the most. I think the growing economies make these countries centres of business in the East, and therefore learning either Japanese or Chinese would make me super-employable after my degree. I also have always wanted to visit as I find the culture fascinating.
    However I'm also open try trying any of the other languages. Didn't really have the best time with French at GCSE () but then again that was a bloody long time ago.

This might even be in the wrong forum, perhaps it should be in the business forum.
    Any opinions welcomed.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with your instinct.

Also the fact that you have interest in Chinese and Japanese culture should cement your decision in my opinion. The fact you will be more employable is also a great advantage!

Don't do a different language (like Spanish or French) because someone says it was easier (if in any way you were thinking that) because you won't enjoy the learning process!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazor)
    I'd go with your instinct.

Also the fact that you have interest in Chinese and Japanese culture should cement your decision in my opinion. The fact you will be more employable is also a great advantage!

Don't do a different language (like Spanish or French) because someone says it was easier (if in any way you were thinking that) because you won't enjoy the learning process!
    Thanks for the reply.
    It raises another question though; how difficult is it to learn a language like Japanese or Chinese? Its a whole new scripture therefore I presume theres a lot more learning?

ReputationRep:
    It is super difficult. My boyfriend studies chinese and he studies day and night, and works fulltime!
    You will have a lot to learn since there are thousands of different scriptures with different meaning!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Do you know anyone who speaks Chinese or Japanese?

If so, get help from them! When I was learning Portuguese, having someone to converse with basically taught me the language!

Also, someone to study with, it helps considerably going through the material with someone else!

ReputationRep:
    My bf used to say: You have to love chinese to get thru it. lol

But if you could find someone who can help you, then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Chinese seems like a good option as China is massive and it'll open so many doors for you.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on what language/ country/ culture interests you most. I was in a similar position i.e. not sure whether to pick Chinese or Japanese. Both seemed to have advantages and disadvantages but in the end although when we graduate china is going to be enormous on the job market ect, Japan interests me more. So I chose Japanese to do with Management.

They are both difficult languages to learn and therefore its important to choose the one which you are most interested in as it will motivate you through your degree (thats what I'm hoping will happen next year anyway lol).

Hope this has been some help

James

ReputationRep:
    I know that this whole thread has been about either Japanese or Chinese, but I thought that I'd put my two pence worth in about French, which I suppose counts for most European languages too I study Management Studies with French at Nottingham.

You say that you didn't have the best time with GCSE French, was there any reason behind this? Linguists say that there is a massive jump from GCSE to A level, in any language, and this is because of the way in which it is taught. You tend to get to grips more with the workings of the language at A level as opposed to at GCSE where you tend to learn set phrases and the like - this is why I would say, do not rule out the European languages. They also tend to be easier than those of Japanese and Chinese, as has already been said in this thread.

You will have to spend a lot of time on any language that you begin ab-initio. Chinese and Japanese'll take longer, but for French, Spanish, German will also take a lot of time too. This is why I feel that you should do something which you are interested in. For me, this is France and French culture, but you obviously like Asian culture and their languages, well Japanese and Chinese anyway. This should encourage you to work harder on your language learning, and therefore make you better at it

You said that you do not need to decide these before September, why not get a few grammar books from the languages out of the library, and have a flick through and see which interests you most? If I were you though, I'd decide quickly and start learning basic vocab and tense constructions. Should you choose Chinese or Japanese, I do not know how easy these'd be to pick up by yourself, but French, you certainly could as with Spanish too.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.