Funding for more than 120 credits at levels 2 or 3 Watch

Gwr9999
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a mature student ( a PC way of saying I am old ). Anyway am studying for fun. I know that 120 credits is needed at each level. Also if self funded one can almost take any module .
But having tuition fee loan can I choose to study more than 120 credits at levels 2 and/or 3 and obviously be funded for it ?
Anisablue
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No you can only study 120 a yr max
Gwr9999
Rep:
?
Thank for an answer Anisablue; but it is not the answer to the question. I will rephrase it again. I know a student can only study a maximum of 120 credits in a year at the OU. This is the situation if a student has already got 60 credits at level for a particular named degree and they decide they want to change that named degree can they still be funded for a further 120 credits, so that would have made a total of 180 credits at level (obviously with o lying 120 of them counting)? It's a bit similar to a first year fulltime student changing degrees and starting again on a different course. A full time student is entitled to a gift year of funding. In fact they can repeat a year.
Gwr9999
Rep:
?
Should say already got 60 credits at level 2
Gwr9999
Rep:
?
My typing!!!!!
Obviously only 120 of the 180 credits would count to level 2. If a student was self funding (lol) it would work. Obviously level 1 courses would have to match new degree requirements too
(Original post by Gwr9999)
Should say already got 60 credits at level 2
Anisablue
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don’t if I got wrong end of the stick again lol but if you already have 60 cred and you change onto another degree I would assume they would use the 60 credit you alsready have and transfer that on new course and then just do another 60 to complete degree. And as for funding you would be able to get funding for 60 cred but not sure for 120 of same yr when you already have 60.
Like with myself I had 240 credits ( 2yrs worth) from a named degrees I have done a credit transfer and just got the third yr to do with ou open degree
Gwr9999
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have the answer now from both sfe and the ou. It's interesting. For full time students it's max amount to tuition fee loan = (length of degree) +1( called the gift year) ; so for a 3 year degree it is 4 years maximum tuition loan. Most students wouldn't use the dgift year. But for example if you had to repeat a whole year , it would be funded. Likewise if you hated the degree you were on after first year you could move to a new course and still have 3 years funding left. Now because the ou works in levels not complete years. 1 year translates to 120 module credits. CONTINUED IN NEXT POST
Gwr9999
Rep:
?
So if a student failed a module and to resit the whole module funding is still available, or if a student changed pathway to a different degree again funding is available but only up to a certain amount I.e 120 credits.in theory a student could have done 90 credits in maths at level 1 but decided maths wasn't for them; they could start again with law for example and still have complete funding left with 30 credits spare for an emergency for a 30 credit module resit but not enough for a 60 module resit( as this would mean 210 more than 360. If you are student where time is not important you can manipulate the system to study more units but not count more.
Gwr9999
Rep:
?
I meant 150 more than 360
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (128)
60.66%
No (83)
39.34%

Watched Threads