A-Level Maths Prep...

Watch
satsun
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Should I buy the textbooks now, and in September do you usually start with Pure or Stats&Mechanics. I’m Edexcel btw.
bigeme
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Most people buy the books in September, so there's no need to rush unless you wish to start early.

I'd say start with Pure Maths as it is longer and much tougher than Stats&Mechanics.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by moftw)
Should I buy the textbooks now, and in September do you usually start with Pure or Stats&Mechanics. I’m Edexcel btw.
The order topics are covered varies from school to school but generally starts with pure maths. It may depend on how many A level maths classes they have, whether they teach further maths as well, whether they enter candidates for AS exams and also on the teaching staff available. Don't buy any books until your school/college tell you which text book they want you to use. They may even provide you with online access to the text book at no cost. If you do anything before the course starts just think about revising the gcse knowledge that is essential for A level pure maths.
E.g. (although this is an OCR resource the Edexcel maths skills are the same)
https://ocr.org.uk/Images/373371-bri...ent-guide.docx
Last edited by gdunne42; 2 years ago
satsun
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you all! During GCSE season, I lost my calculator, so I don’t have one and need to buy one. I do plan to do some prep work over the summer, so should I buy the same calculator I used for GCSE or get the A-Level one?
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by moftw)
Thank you all! During GCSE season, I lost my calculator, so I don’t have one and need to buy one. I do plan to do some prep work over the summer, so should I buy the same calculator I used for GCSE or get the A-Level one?
The minimum calculator for A level would be a Casio fx 991 EX CLASSWIZ
However some schools insist or very highly recommend you get a much more expensive graphical calculator. Borrow a calculator for any summer revision until you know what you need to buy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.8%
Note taking apps (7)
1.87%
Flashcards (86)
22.93%
Revision guides (19)
5.07%
Past papers (171)
45.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (14)
3.73%

Watched Threads