Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody. I'm just looking for a new computer. So could tell me, if you use your computers during for instance lectures for taking notes (or generally during classes)? Should such a computer be powerful (good processor etc) or rather has a good battery and be light?

Please describe what you are using your comp. for and what would you care about if you were buying one now.

ReputationRep:
    I take it you're talking about laptops rather than desktops.

ReputationRep:
    I tried taking notes during lectures back when I was doing A-Levels. Didn't work out too well (then again I have one of those big ol' solid Toshibas lol).

It depends on what you want to use it for. In my case, I like my laptop to be a desktop replacement, so a good processor, a decent dedicated graphics card and a large screen is preferable. Though for mobility, you'd want to look more at longer battery life and a smaller size.

ReputationRep:
    If it's for taking notes you simply need something with a good battery, reliable and light weight. Processor power in modern PC's will always be enough to do simple tasks such as browsing the internet, typing etc. The only time you need a more powerful processor is for running games or some programs such as Photoshop or a 3d animation program.

What sort of budget do you have? You could easily get a lightweight reliable laptop for around the £400 mark.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I want to use it for taking notes. Grift - why it didn't work out? I already have a big "desktop replacement" (Toshiba :P ) and if you say that there is no chances to take notes, etc. I won't buy the other one (maybe some Tablet PC - Fujitsu has some good ones). So my friends you have to tell me whether you more often watch movies or rather move your PC ;-P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bilek)
    Yes, I want to use it for taking notes. Grift - why it didn't work out? I already have a big "desktop replacement" (Toshiba :P ) and if you say that there is no chances to take notes, etc. I won't buy the other one (maybe some Tablet PC - Fujitsu has some good ones). So my friends you have to tell me whether you more often watch movies or rather move your PC ;-P
    The reason it didn't work out for me was because I was using my old Toshiba. Hardly portable and the battery didn't last very long lol. From what I've read on the threads around here, most ppl just jot down notes with pen and paper, since you can probably get the lecture notes online if your college provides them.

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally plumb for a Lenovo Thinkpad, for that sort of use. They're generally light-weight, with good battery life and built to last. Something like that could easily last you your university carreer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoMakeSayThink)
    I'd personally plumb for a Lenovo Thinkpad, for that sort of use. They're generally light-weight, with good battery life and built to last. Something like that could easily last you your university carreer.
    I'd say a ThinkPad could quite comfortably last you for a decade if all you were looking for was note-taking and internet use. Fine, you might have to upgrade the wireless every now and then, but it's not like you're going to have to get a new system when Nehalem hits just to run MS Word.

I think I'm going to back the X series on this one. I would back the X300 were it not for it's high price tag, but, after all, the more traditional line X2x, X3x, X4x, X6x, are smaller and have greater battery life.

If you can wait a little longer, wait until the new ThinkPads hit sometime in the summer. The X200 looks to be a smaller version of the X300, so that might be worth a look, especially if a conventional HDD becomes an option. Personally I'd take the X61 anyway because of its form factor, but each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    How about giving us a budget to consider so that we can make appropriate comments and recommendations? I think it would be helpful.

When I was purchasing a laptop, my most important considerations were relatively decent portability and battery life at an acceptable cost to me. I also wanted a laptop that had a keyboard that had separation between each key, because I'd found those excellent to type on in the past (having often used one of my friend's old Sony TX laptops), but there was a limited availability to what I could afford, which put the Sony TZ series out of reach for me.

In the end, the best solution for me was a MacBook; I can generally squeeze around 5ish hours out of the battery by adjusting the settings to energy-saving mode, turning the display brightness down, etc, but still have the wireless on, which I've found to be a bonus; always nice to be able get a shedload of downloads on the university's uber-quick internet whilst typing away in lectures. I also wanted a laptop that was compact enough to slip into my current satchel, which I've grown accustomed to taking with me everywhere; I didn't want to have a "mug me" laptop bag to take around.

I'd also become a little disenchanted with the latest version of Windows; although by no means bad, I'd always enjoyed using Macs in the past (I used to work for an independent photographer who only used Macs a few years back), so wanted to make a change. However, a lot of people don't like Mac OS X, and if I was getting a Windows laptop for my needs at a relatively modest budget (£600-700 max), then I would have gone for a Samsung Q45, which offer fantastic value for money and great battery life at the price/weightpoint.

ReputationRep:
    Let's say, that I can spend up to £1000. Will you still recommend Q45? And if we already came to recommendation. Where in the UK is best to buy such things (I mean reliablity, price, etc) - any particular shops or shop networks?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.