The Student Room Group

Failing Medicine course

Hi, I have just finished my first year of studying Medicine. While I have found it enjoyable, I have struggled to keep up, and as a result have failed both semester exams. I really do not want to switch course, as I really enjoy it. I am doing resit exams this summer but I am very unsure if it is possible to pass both! Does anyone have any similar stories and if so, how are you getting on now? Or any other advise that will help with resits will be much appreciated!!
Firstly, all the best, definitely hope that you will be able to pass both resits.

Have you thought of why you 'struggled to keep up'? Have you analysed your learning styles and revision methods? Have you sought advice or help from your tutors? Have you spoke to your school's pastoral care team? Do you suffer from exam anxiety (more than usual), which may affect your performance? These are some questions worth exploring.

I know you asked for 'similar stories', however I'm not sure if that is the most helpful for you at this point. Different people fail for different reasons; it's important that you figure out your own reasons behind it and work towards fixing anything that is not working well if possible.

You mentioned failing both semester exams. What about OSCEs, how did you fare for them?
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply and I will take your advise into mind. I think its just a bit jump and ive struggled.
I passed my OSCE completely fine, as I don't struggle with the practical side at all
Original post by l.p.c
Thanks for the reply and I will take your advise into mind. I think its just a bit jump and ive struggled.
I passed my OSCE completely fine, as I don't struggle with the practical side at all

Your English language skills seem a little weak so I wonder if that is the problem in exams rather than you lacking any practical ability?
Reply 4
This is not the case. I passed Higher English with an A and I have spoken English all of my life as I am from the UK. I appreciate the help however I don't really bother with full grammar on the internet however that is obviously not the case when writing in exams etc. We don't have any essays to write throughout the year either (although that would have been helpful so that the grade is not fully based on the exam!!) Thanks for the reply
Original post by harrysbar
Your English language skills seem a little weak so I wonder if that is the problem in exams rather than you lacking any practical ability?
Original post by l.p.c
This is not the case. I passed Higher English with an A and I have spoken English all of my life as I am from the UK. I appreciate the help however I don't really bother with full grammar on the internet however that is obviously not the case when writing in exams etc. We don't have any essays to write throughout the year either (although that would have been helpful so that the grade is not fully based on the exam!!) Thanks for the reply

Oh I see, sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick. If your uni is letting you resit both exams they must believe that it is possible for you to pass them both but it would be helpful for you to know where you need to improve. I would try emailing your personal tutor or anyone else that might be able to give you some advice on the matter and ask for some guidance on your strengths and weaknesses. The uni should also be able to tell you what the procedure will be if you were to fail one or both of the exams again - whether you would be able to retake Year 1 again from the beginning, for example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending