Durham Computer Science Laptop Requirements Watch

BDE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,

grades dependant, I'll be starting a 4 year integrated masters degree in computer science at Durham from September.
I'm in the market to buy a laptop at the minute and so obviously want to make the right choice for what will benefit me most at uni.

I'm keen to buy a Macbook Pro for various reasons (e.g. durability and ecosystem support), and was wondering whether this would be appropriate for computer science at Durham.
I've tried to find a detailed list of languages taught at Durham but haven't come across anything that goes into it in much detail so thought I'd ask here!

So (putting the usual Mac v. PC debate aside for a minute) would a Mac be OK for a CompSci degree at Durham?
Jackudy3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd go for the MacBook as it is Unix based (powerful command line), streamlined and (unimportant but) more visually appealing... plus, you'll be right at home when using one at uni as they are commonplace. If needs be it also provides disk utility to easily dual boot to Windows, should Durham be awkward and the need arise.

Your alternative would be something that boots Linux, although I'd keep this purely for a separate machine of yours for tinkering such as a Raspberry Pi... stick a distro like Ubuntu or Kali on it and you'll be sorted.

I'd have thought that since you are literally due to study Computer Science at a top uni you'd have no issue weighing up these trivialities yourself, though.
BDE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the reply, very helpful. And yeah I had thought of most of those points but I'm sure you can appreciate why I might value a second opinion when I'm about to dish out over a grand on a laptop if I go for a new MBP.
(Original post by Jackudy3)
I'd go for the MacBook as it is Unix based (powerful command line), streamlined and (unimportant but) more visually appealing... plus, you'll be right at home when using one at uni as they are commonplace. If needs be it also provides disk utility to easily dual boot to Windows, should Durham be awkward and the need arise.

Your alternative would be something that boots Linux, although I'd keep this purely for a separate machine of yours for tinkering such as a Raspberry Pi... stick a distro like Ubuntu or Kali on it and you'll be sorted.

I'd have thought that since you are literally due to study Computer Science at a top uni you'd have no issue weighing up these trivialities yourself, though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (156)
17.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.62%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.3%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.4%

Watched Threads