A level in one year Watch

essali26
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
As in currently doing Btec level 3 applied science, I want to study an a level aswell during a gap year, so which a level would be best out of chemistry, bio and maths for optometry? (Also projected D*DD by the end of the course)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by essali26)
As in currently doing Btec level 3 applied science, I want to study an a level aswell during a gap year, so which a level would be best out of chemistry, bio and maths for optometry? (Also projected D*DD by the end of the course)
I cant say for optometry, you should either check entrance requirements or wait for optometrists to tell you.

I would say that Maths is the single most useful A level to have and also it will be far the least expensive to study during a gap year.
essali26
Rep:
?
Thanks and I’ve checked with the uni I wanted and they were asking for DDD with one scientific a level at B or above
(Original post by 999tigger)
I cant say for optometry, you should either check entrance requirements or wait for optometrists to tell you.

I would say that Maths is the single most useful A level to have and also it will be far the least expensive to study during a gap year.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Maths as it doesn't require coursework so won't be extra hassle when sorting out exams.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
But biology if you want the easiest (btw by coursework I mean required practicals that you have to sign off on)
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks and I’ve checked with the uni I wanted and they were asking for DDD with one scientific a level at B or above
Maths may be included as a science.
You should also bear in mind which of the three you are good at.
In terms of hassle then maths is by far the most straightforward and probably less than 1/3 of the price of the other two.
essali26
Rep:
?
Yh thanks and do you know how much the exams would be
In terms of hassle then maths is by far the most straightforward and probably less than 1/3 of the price of the other two.
essali26
Rep:
?
Ah thanks and maths is a subject I think I’m good at but it also seems the most stressful based on how others I know found it the most stressful
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
Yh thanks and do you know how much the exams would be
It depends where you choose to sit them. South and London tends to be the most expensive.

The price consists of two parts.

Exam fee= the amount that goes to the exam board for marking. (c £100)
Exam centre fee= the amount they charge for allowing you to use premises on exam day and to pay for admin. (c £150- £350).

Exam centres are private businesses and they exist to make a profit. Make sure you pay the fee by January on the year you intend to sit to avoid late fees.
essali26
Rep:
?
I’m from Birmingham so should be alright but do you pay for each separate exam or all of them
It depends where you choose to sit them. South and London tends to be the most expensive.

The price consists of two parts.

Exam fee= the amount that goes to the exam board for marking. (c £100)
Exam centre fee= the amount they charge for allowing you to use premises on exam day and to pay for admin. (c £150- £350).

Exam centres are private businesses and they exist to make a profit. Make sure you pay the fee by January on the year you intend to sit to avoid late fees.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m from Birmingham so should be alright but do you pay for each separate exam or all of them
It is linear , so that is the complete A level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (145)
17.64%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9%
No I am happy with my course choice (485)
59%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (118)
14.36%

Watched Threads