What can I do? Please help! Watch

roxyrae
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Unfortunately I missed year 11 and 12 due to illness. I am now better and looking to take GCSE's but none of my nearby colleges will offer the five needed.

I really don't want to go down the BTEC route just yet.

I really don't know what to do? Please help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
PetitePanda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Online/ Distance learning then doing the exam at a centre?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Depending on your age you could try the local adult educational college (for over 18s). Otherwise have a look at on line courses - I know the Open University have a sister website that do A levels, so it may do GCSEs as well..

Also another option is to do them as a private student, the boards hold 'open' exam sessions where said pupils can sit their exam papers. You just need to go into the board website and find your local centre. Another option is to find a private tutor, it would cost, but then so do the courses, and they would put you forward as a private student.

The adult educational college do two types of courses, short track (10 weeks) or long track (30 week) GCSEs, most would do English language and maths free if you haven't got the C/4 grade while others may do science and languages. It's well worth a check if you are over 18, if your under that age then you need to look at colleges for that age group. A rough cost for a GCSE course is about £470, but you can get those who will take you as a private student and thus you only pay for administration/examination fees which is vastly reduced to about £100 or so.

The thing to remember is not to give up on your dream, it just takes a bit of working out to get those qualifications you need, but it can be done.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (67)
9.9%
No I am happy with my course choice (383)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.18%

Watched Threads