How to best utilize a gap year before applying to medicine? Watch

Silent0239
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am taking a gap year and currently looking for work. I've applied to many health care jobs but many require NVQ level 2/3 and I seem to be rejected right away.

I will try to get into healthcare but, in case I don't, will universities frown upon me if I secure a job that's not related to healthcare in my gap year?

I wanted to use my free time to get better at drawing, doodling specifically, and learn some french while I am at it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Silent0239)
I am taking a gap year and currently looking for work. I've applied to many health care jobs but many require NVQ level 2/3 and I seem to be rejected right away.

I will try to get into healthcare but, in case I don't, will universities frown upon me if I secure a job that's not related to healthcare in my gap year?

I wanted to use my free time to get better at drawing, doodling specifically, and learn some french while I am at it.
As long as you get some voluntary experience if you can't get a healthcare job it won't be frowned upon.
username4316210
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think unis like it when it's a structured gap year- for example I'm doing an 8 month project with Project Trust where I go to a country and live with a host family and teach english/ science . You can also volunteer at local clinics in the country if you want. I also have to fundraise 5500 pounds for my trip and I've been selected for Malaysia, Morocco or Senegal.

There is a 12 month project they have available in South Africa at an AIDS clinic which would be amazing to have if you're applying to medicine.

But if you're not interested in travel and you can't get a job in healthcare just volunteer in a local hospital and then get a random customer service job. It'll still help you because you'll have a lot of experience with people by the end of the year. You could also save money to travel and just see the world, explore.
Silent0239
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by chemishard4)
I think unis like it when it's a structured gap year- for example I'm doing an 8 month project with Project Trust where I go to a country and live with a host family and teach english/ science . You can also volunteer at local clinics in the country if you want. I also have to fundraise 5500 pounds for my trip and I've been selected for Malaysia, Morocco or Senegal.

There is a 12 month project they have available in South Africa at an AIDS clinic which would be amazing to have if you're applying to medicine.

But if you're not interested in travel and you can't get a job in healthcare just volunteer in a local hospital and then get a random customer service job. It'll still help you because you'll have a lot of experience with people by the end of the year. You could also save money to travel and just see the world, explore.
I've looked at going abroad to teach and volunteer, though the costs are beyond my family's wallet. I'd benefit from a job the most, I think at least. thanks for the input!
username4316210
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've looked at going abroad to teach and volunteer, though the costs are beyond my family's wallet. I'd benefit from a job the most, I think at least. thanks for the input!
No problem!

If you want to do a shorter programme to teach and volunteer, like a month long, I'm sure you could fundraise!
john howard
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I applied to over 25 NHS healthcare jobs before I even recieved an interview. It's annoyingly lengthy and requires a lot of persistence. I really don't think you'll be penalised for NOT having anything healthcare related. As long as you can relate whatever you do back to how it can make you a better doctor. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19