stressed about UCAT: READ THIS Watch

aleeza160
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I am a first year medical student and sat my UCAT last year. Personally what I found the most useful was attending a course which was recommended by fellow peers. There are many courses out there but they tend to be in large groups and very little personal interaction. But there is one course which I discovered to be the most helpful because it was led by a doctor and his colleagues and there was only from what I remember 8 people in the group. They also gave us advice on work experience, personal statement and NHS hot topics which helped a lot for interview prep. The course is an invite only or recommendation so if you are interested, message me and I'll give you more details! GOOD LUCK WITH ALL THE PREP AND HOPE YOUR AS EXAMS WENT WELL.
(Original post by lololauren_nj)
hi, I'm planning to do the UCAT in August by grace of God and I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of good introductory UCAT resources to get a higher score (than average). I know about medify and the 1250 questions book so far, but is there anything else or are these all you need.

Thank you!
aleeza160
Rep:
?
(Original post by lololauren_nj)
hi, I'm planning to do the UCAT in August by grace of God and I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of good introductory UCAT resources to get a higher score (than average). I know about medify and the 1250 questions book so far, but is there anything else or are these all you need.

Thank you!
(Original post by Demi.star)
I am Just started a week ago. What resources are you using?
Hi, I am a first year medical student and sat my UCAT last year. Personally what I found the most useful was attending a course which was recommended by fellow peers. There are many courses out there but they tend to be in large groups and very little personal interaction. But there is one course which I discovered to be the most helpful because it was led by a doctor and his colleagues and there was only from what I remember 8 people in the group. They also gave us advice on work experience, personal statement and NHS hot topics which helped a lot for interview prep. The course is an invite only or recommendation so if you are interested, message me and I'll give you more details! GOOD LUCK WITH ALL THE PREP AND HOPE YOUR AS EXAMS WENT WELL.
aleeza160
Rep:
?
Hey, I'm currently just finished completing the first year of medicine. I must say it has been a very long journey to get to this point but has been totally worth it. I wanted to write this post to help calm students down on the application process, which includes the UCAT test which will ultimately dictate whether your application will be strong enough to apply for medicine or dentistry. The biggest tip I can give to everyone is first take a deep breath and do not be scared to access material online. I would also recommend you to attend certain courses, I attended the KAPLAN course which I didn't particularly find useful as the group was too big and there was not enough individual feedback on performance and how to improve as it was rather general. However, I was lucky that one of my best friend's tutor recommend a UCAT course which one led by a group of doctors and dentists that achieved very high in their sitting and have been apart of medical and dental school interview panels. I felt that this course was much better as it felt more intimate as their were only 8 people during the course, they primarily focused on each individual and provided tailored feedback. It was also well priced and don't think I could have achieved 776 if I didn't receive their techniques and strategies. Just PM if you need their details, I think they are holding a course at the start of July.

Another tip, is to start to complete the official practice tests on the UCAT official website and when doing so make sure you get used to using the keyboard for caluclations as calculators are not allowed. GOOD LUCK!!
dasda
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i have no work experience or volunteering. do you think i can arrange something for the summer?
angelike1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dasda)
i have no work experience or volunteering. do you think i can arrange something for the summer?
yes - you need to call everywhere though
dasda
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I achieved AAB in my mock exams and I'm really trying hard in finding a place.
(Original post by angelike1)
yes - you need to call everywhere though
angelike1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dasda)
I achieved AAB in my mock exams and I'm really trying hard in finding a place.
work experiences placements dont care about your grades
aleeza160
Rep:
?
you can deffo arrange something literally ring every clinic up and hopefully you will get something! with your grades Im sure you can deffo get good predictions which actually do count
(Original post by dasda)
aikaaki
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What course is that?
(Original post by aleeza160)
Hey, I'm currently just finished completing the first year of medicine. I must say it has been a very long journey to get to this point but has been totally worth it. I wanted to write this post to help calm students down on the application process, which includes the UCAT test which will ultimately dictate whether your application will be strong enough to apply for medicine or dentistry. The biggest tip I can give to everyone is first take a deep breath and do not be scared to access material online. I would also recommend you to attend certain courses, I attended the KAPLAN course which I didn't particularly find useful as the group was too big and there was not enough individual feedback on performance and how to improve as it was rather general. However, I was lucky that one of my best friend's tutor recommend a UCAT course which one led by a group of doctors and dentists that achieved very high in their sitting and have been apart of medical and dental school interview panels. I felt that this course was much better as it felt more intimate as their were only 8 people during the course, they primarily focused on each individual and provided tailored feedback. It was also well priced and don't think I could have achieved 776 if I didn't receive their techniques and strategies. Just PM if you need their details, I think they are holding a course at the start of July.

Another tip, is to start to complete the official practice tests on the UCAT official website and when doing so make sure you get used to using the keyboard for caluclations as calculators are not allowed. GOOD LUCK!!
palmtree29
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by dasda)
Yes its definitely possible I had no work experience whatsoever until last week even though I've been trying for a year. Just keep trying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (129)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (63)
9.55%
No I am happy with my course choice (374)
56.67%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (94)
14.24%

Watched Threads